• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgmrdan

• OcalaFlGuy

• MrThoth

• Jerome Tarshis

Okay, I'll be more specific.

Is it an okay version of a Cross fountain pen?

About when was this style made?

Are they decent users?

About how much should one cost?

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."

The Dalai Lama

The Century II was introduced during the 1990s, IIRC. It succeeded the Century, introduced in 1982 outside the United States and in 1984 in the United States, according to a list of dates Cross used to have on its Web site. (And may still have, if I knew how to find it. But the last date was 2002, and I think they were embarrassed by that, without choosing to update, so they took it down.)

People complained that Cross Century fountain pens were too thin, so the Century II has a somewhat wider diameter. Many people think the Century II is also too thin.

Pretty much all Cross fountain pens are good writers for their prices. My Century II is an excellent writer. Made in China. The possible inherent defect of the Century II was, at least some years ago, that the plastic sleeve of the section came loose and rotated freely. My fix was to send the nib unit back to Cross, to be replaced by a unit that didn't have that problem.

Cross customer service has been pretty good for me, and is said to be better in the UK than in the United States. So, yes, the pen on Ron Zorn's site has been sold. You aren't going to buy that one (if you are the purchaser, I take that back) but do not hesitate to buy another example. Do bear in mind that although I and others love these pens, many think the Century, the Century, and the Townsend are all too thin. The Spire and the 21st-century Classic Century, which is virtually the same pen as the Spire, are even thinner.

Edited by Jerome Tarshis

Thanks guys!

Yep, I'm the purchaser of that pen. I have 2 Cross ballpoints and a mechanical pencil. I can't say that I'm fond of them. I used them for several years and put them away for decades. They're just too skinny to feel right but I use a keyboard all day and seldom need to use the pens or pencils so they're usable. I'm hoping this fountain pen is more usable since it's supposed to be fatter but I doubt it's fat like my Sheaffer 300 or Esterbrook J (that I'm about to receive).

I know nothing about Cross fountain pens (And being new at this I don't know much about any other fountain pens for that matter.) so I appreciate the information about them.

I had been looking at another pen on Ron's site but saw this one. Not sure why but I just had to have this one. I am very anxious to get this pen. It's a real beauty and in good shape.

Edited by DanielWS

The Dalai Lama

With pens, as with houses and cars, when you find the one that's right for you, you just "know" it. :)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Could I ask what the price was?

I have that pen.

Interestingly enough, El Zorno failed to mention the GF content of it. BUT he Does mention it having Rose Gold tones to it. THAT sounds

like the 14k over the 10k.

A very nice pen, one of the last I believe made in Rhode Island.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

10K GF or 14K GF? Look on the microtext at the very end of the cap.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Just got the pen.

1/20 14KT GOLD FILLED/ROLLED GOLD

CAP/BARREL

The Dalai Lama

I thought so, the 14k is noticeably more "rosey" looking than the 10k.

In my book, Both prices were good ones. I have about $80 into mine but OTOH mine was NOS for what that is worth. Also note that you have a gold plated nib, mine has the 14k Cross nib. Cross often took their upper shelf Centurys and put the plated nibs in them and sold them at a discount.

I traded my original nib (in the pen) for a Medium. I even got the $10 service fee waived as it was a new pen.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thanks for the information Bruce!

Yep, it's definitely a rose gold instead of the usual yellow gold. Very nice looking pen. I'll have to ink it and try it out this weekend.

The Dalai Lama