Cross Townsend In Gold, How To Identify Gold Variant?

Tojusi

Hello -

I have a Cross Townsend in gold. I understand that there are several different ways of doing the gold on Townsends - how can I identify which one this is?

The pen was received in 2002 as a new pen. There is a thin black ban near the top of the cap, and a similar one at the other end of the pen. On the top of the cap is a small black circle/dimple. The pen body is grooved lengthwise, with three grooves right next to another, then two grooves spaced as if the middle of the three is missing (or even ever so slightly wider), then again three, then two etc.

Any easy ideas how to identify this?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tojusi

• MrThoth

• RMN

• da vinci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look Closely around that Black band at the end of the cap.

There should be micro print there that details the Gold content, either 10 or 14k GF.

I am not aware of an all Gold *plated* Townsend. It always helps if you give us pics, even phone ones to help ID a pen with.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

The narrow black bands appear to be smooth - with bare eye I could not discern anything, even when I rotated the pen to see if there would be any "breaks" in how the light reflects in the black strip. I need to do the same with a loupe later.

I understood somewhere long ago that there would also be an 18K rolled gold version?

I also need to set up some way to get pictures up here.

I understood somewhere long ago that there would also be an 18K rolled gold version?

Yes, though it would say 18k GF unless perhaps made at the Ireland factory.

Is there a solid gold version too?

Yes, but I don't recall if it was 14k or 18k though I lean towards 14k.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Hello -

I have a Cross Townsend in gold. I understand that there are several different ways of doing the gold on Townsends - how can I identify which one this is?

The pen was received in 2002 as a new pen. There is a thin black ban near the top of the cap, and a similar one at the other end of the pen. On the top of the cap is a small black circle/dimple. The pen body is grooved lengthwise, with three grooves right next to another, then two grooves spaced as if the middle of the three is missing (or even ever so slightly wider), then again three, then two etc.

Any easy ideas how to identify this?

This is the 18K gold filled model (NOT solid gold) that was discontinued I think a couple years ago. Shame - it was a classic and beautiful pen, but I guess the margins were not good as it was so expensive to make.

Edited by Tancred

This is the 18K gold filled model (NOT solid gold) that was discontinued I think a couple years ago. Shame - it was a classic and beautiful pen, but I guess the margins were not good as it was so expensive to make.

Thanks for the ID. For the record, I never considered it solid gold.

@Tancred

What are the tell-tale points that lead you to identify this as such?

thx

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

As someone who primarily collects Cross Townsend FPs, I own three of the gold-filled ones: one 18K and two 10K.

I've examined all three under a loupe and can't see any text around that black band at the end of the cap such as OcalaFlGuy describes. Bruce, if you have Townsends marked like that, could you please post a picture of them? If I'm missing something in my collection I need to start tracking it down. ;)

I know of two general ways to differentiate the 18K Gold Filled (SKU 776) from the 10K Gold Filled (SKU 706). Here are a couple of pictures:

post-114193-0-45494400-1417532488_thumb.jpg

post-114193-0-80090900-1417532781_thumb.jpg

The first one shows the three pens -- the 18K is by itself, while the two 10Ks are hangin' out together. If you're able to make a comparison like this, the 18K Gold Filled has a "richer," deeper gold color. (That may not come through so well in the picture -- apologies for my lousy photography.)

The second one is a close-up of the pens' caps, and provides an even easier method of telling them apart: the 18K has a black line at the top but is otherwise gold, whereas the 10K has a solid black upper tip on the cap.

I can't say authoritatively that the latter method of identification holds true 100% of the time, but it seems to work if you look around at the pens online.

Hope that helps!

Edited by MrThoth

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

That's pretty sharp photography, Shuuemura, and yes, that's what was meant, I understand.

D.ick

~

~

First -- I agree that's a pretty damn nice photo. Thanx!

Second -- dammit. Now I have to track down some more pens and find out more about this for the collector's guide I'm writing. But as problems go, that's not a horrible one. ;) Thanx!

MrThoth

Some very helpful and interesting posts here thanks all :thumbup:

Does any one have a solid gold one they could post picture of for comparison purposes?

Edited by da vinci

As far as I'm aware there isn't a solid gold Cross Townsend fountain pen. Aside from the 10K and 18K Gold Filled discussed in this thread, the only other completely gold Townsend I know of is the AT0046B-32, the 20th Anniversary 23K Heavy Gold Plate (sometimes called the Brushed Gold Plate). And of course, as its name indicates it's gold-plated, not solid gold.

If there is a solid gold Cross Townsend fountain pen out there, someone who has one please let me know so I can update my master list -- and my wish list. ;)

MrThoth

That's pretty sharp photography, Shuuemura, and yes, that's what was meant, I understand.

D.ick

My pen does not have such microtext. It only says "Cross" and under that in slightly smaller font but not as small as the pictured microtext " ---- USA ----". The horizontal lines are continuous of course, and there is kernelling between the letters.

Does your pen have the "all black cap", or the "black headband" so to say?

D.ick

~

~

Does your pen have the "all black cap", or the "black headband" so to say?

D.ick

I have the black headband, like in the microtext picture posted by shuuemura. Or like the "lonely pen" (out of three) posted by MrThoth - In fact his picture seems to show "USA" under "Cross" as well, though I'm not sure whether I see the horizontal lines in the "headband" pen (they are however quite clear on the "all black cap" pens).