I Try, But I Fail

Guernseytim

I yoyo back and forth with this forum.

I come along, see a shed load of pens that I cannot afford, and want them all! I have a splurge and expand my collection, then I feel bad, off-load the ones I didn't really want and then force myself to stay away from FPN.

Then, 6 months later, I repeat the process.

This has now happened quite a few times. It's now just time to accept the affliction and go with it :P

I love ONOTO pens and am hoping to graduate as a doctor of psychology in the next 6 months. Am hoping the Onoto still have some of their doctors pens limited edition when my reserves are topped up and I'm qualified enough to justify owning one!

Currently I am enjoying my little Pelikan 140, Jinhao X750 (awesome pen for the money!), and my Onoto De La Rue "the pen". I had a huge purge last year, which hurt a lot, as my financial reserves dried up. The joys of being a student with no income! :(

My Parker Duofold Demi F is enroute though - my final purchase for this year! Thanks to Amazon's black friday deals.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guernseytim

• Bo Bo Olson

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• Consulting_Detective

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same feeling right now,

I just bought 2 Monteverdes and a x450, and I really want to get the Lamy Safari BlueGreen Special Edition 2014 and the Lamy Logo,but, like you, I'm a student with no income and relies on gift money..

Oh well.....

-C.D

Favorite Ink and Pen Combinations:

Monteverde Jewelria in Fine with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Jinhao x450 with a Goulet X-Fine Nib with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Lamy Al-Star BlueGreen in Extra Fine with Parker Quink Black

Pilot Metropolitan in Medium with Parker Quink Black

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

You guys need to buy a couple of real quality pens, that will give you a great deal of writing pleasure. Or else you need to scale your expectation down to realistic levels. Otherwise you are just complaining about nothing. Sorry to be making these negative comments right after Thanksgiving, but, you are not getting any sympathy from me.

CD - I have three Lamys. The Neon safari, a vista, plus the black aluminium one (i never use that pen as i don't like it too much).

Cramer - definitely very envious of your 4 Onotos!

You guys need to buy a couple of real quality pens, that will give you a great deal of writing pleasure. Or else you need to scale your expectation down to realistic levels. Otherwise you are just complaining about nothing. Sorry to be making these negative comments right after Thanksgiving, but, you are not getting any sympathy from me.

I'm a Brit - thanksgiving is meaningless to me :)

I had an MB Starwalker - sold it as it was an awful pen. The next pen I want is £400 (the Onoto Doctors Pen) - that's way out of reach at the minute lol

I can sympathize. Been a user/collector for the last 20 years or so and I too go through bouts of splurging followed by periods of (relative) restraint.

Right now I'm in a splurging phase...

I find a budget is my best friend. I may have purchased too many pens over the years, but they never put me in financial straits.

However, I do like to cull the herd every so often so that I'm left only with what I really, really like and use. But, because I could afford the pens I own, I give the pens away.

Another useful trick is to leave the pen in your electronic shopping cart for a few weeks. That urge to acquire subsides. There are a number of pens I once really wanted that I'm now happy I never purchased.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Time fly's. You can survive...until then.

Do not get into ink and paper...yet. :angry:

I need no pens, yet tomorrow...I will bid on some.....sigh.

That bit about '''' :o :yikes: selling ones I "don't need"....sigh cubed....some day, I'll be so hardened.

"Hello, I'm Bo Bo. I'm an Addict."...............................the trouble with AA is all they talk about is booze. :unsure:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I can sympathize. Been a user/collector for the last 20 years or so and I too go through bouts of splurging followed by periods of (relative) restraint.

Right now I'm in a splurging phase...

As somebody new to pen collecting, i think this pattern is in my future ^_^

Practice good restraint is a good idea being able to see your future budget is better if your living on the monetary edge the latter will be a heaven sent gift you basically have to see your budget in a span of 1 year something I have honed even before coming here but I can always get into the stiff budget months thats basically where everything falls apart for the year and will only pick up later half the year... But I do not suggest that you go beyond deeper than just looking at your year's budget even without knowing what you will have to spend for x month of the year it will be a curse that may or may not haunt you as it did to me...

And soon next thing you know it you will be spending on pens for evey 2 years who knows

But I think the challenging advice I can give you is max 10 pens 1 pen a year then it will be a rehab course of 1 pen in 2 years but still in only max of 10 pens in your current ownership vintage and modern

Edited by Algester

I am well-acquainted with the temptations of fpn, but I learned to read the reviews - and then write with my own fabulous pens. I found usually that that nipped the curiosity for other pens in the bud. Not absolutely; I am only human.

I also found my favorite pens (Nakaya - although not exclusively Nakaya), and that helped to curb the wanton accumulating of other pens.

It's a personal journey, though. Much luck and good pens to you on yours.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Do not join; The Pen of the Week in the Mail Club.

Same goes for the Pen of the Month in the Mail Club.

Join the Pen of the Quarter in the Mail Club...only. One has more time to study the pen and nib, has more time to get a better bargain...gets 'keeper' pens.

Do as I tell ya, not as I have done. Bungee jump off tall bridges in between pens, it's almost as exciting; as waiting for the mailman.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hello GT,

I know EXACTLY how you feel; I've been there myself - and am just now coming down off of a buying rush from the last few months. I have been able to scale back a little this past month after going ape in October. However, this pen binging your doing is quite unhealthy - just as binge drinking is also bad news - and the hardest form of addiction to quit.

Grow your collection at a slow, steady pace - focus on quality - you'll be a lot more satisfied with your collection in the long run. (I know, I'm a fine one to talk :rolleyes:), but this is still the best way to go. Do not feel the need to acquire a pen every month or every other month, (like Bo Bo says, don't join the Pen of the Month Club) - but what you may want to do is put aside a set sum of money each month - and save up, (here again, I'm a fine one to talk). :D Also, as CoolFool reminded me, always keep your future in clear view - retirement for me; marriage, children and a fat mortgage for you, perhaps.

The bottom line is to take it slow and don't forget to breathe; don't let pens rule your life or become an obsession - take some time to smell the roses, do for others and bask in the sunshine. :)

Best regards,

Chris, aka, a recovering pen junkie.

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

[...]

Another useful trick is to leave the pen in your electronic shopping cart for a few weeks. That urge to acquire subsides. There are a number of pens I once really wanted that I'm now happy I never purchased.

I did the same with inks but they all ended up being bought...

Inks don't count; that's a completely different addiction.....visit Ink Reviews as seldom as possible...that is possible after only 50 inks.

I only have 12 inks on my to buy list....see. One can quite smoking....inks.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

I am trying to limit my pen buying splurges to vintage pens below £20 and it is suprisingly true that you can get amazing quality and function for so little but that tends to fuel the fire so one does not exercise self control simply the illusion of so doing. You do end up with lots of very nice pens though!

Budget restraint is futile. Just sell a kidney.

Be thankful that you are not obsessed with automobiles. My postman has five Buick Roadmasters. No room for anything !

One woman collects commemorative pewter spoons. Can you imagine anything more useless ?

A touch of madness in life is a blessing. :thumbup:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Budget restraint is futile. Just sell a kidney.

Be thankful that you are not obsessed with automobiles. My postman has five Buick Roadmasters. No room for anything !

One woman collects commemorative pewter spoons. Can you imagine anything more useless ?

A touch of madness in life is a blessing. :thumbup:

I've collected spoons - I like spoons lol

Thankfully I'm no longer allowed to drive as im registered blind. My last car was a delightful Jaguar XJ6 - was a pricey pleasure that burnt through so much petrol that I could have bought an MB pen every month.