Need Suggestions For Calligraphy How-To Books And Kits.

jdllizard

I just found out my 20yo niece loves calligraphy, has dabbled in it, but wasn't happy with her results which has dampened her enthusiasm. I would like to get her a couple of books to keep her interested, and a beginner set of the proper tools. I love that this stuff interests her but, hate that she wants to give up so quickly because she was unhappy after her early attempts. I actually shared some of the works done by or posted by FPN members on FB with her to keep that spark alive. For Christmas, I'd like to give her the books and kit. I need recommendations on which books are good ones for beginners and for a kit. My budget for this is no more than $50, so the books would be the priority if I can't afford both. She is very smart and artistic, she taught herself how to play piano and guitar, so I know with the proper instructions and stuff she would be very good.

TIA

John L

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• inkeverywhere

• jdllizard

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

What style of calligraphy is your niece interested in?

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

Contact the PenGoddess immediately and ask if she still has any NOS Sheaffer old style NoNonsense calligraphy kits. They were on sale for $20.00 IIRC and have the pens, nibs, ink and lesson book.

Edited by jar

Don't wait for Christmas....

Look in Amazon's used books, for those recommended.

I have an old, English one. From the teach your self books.

'Teach Yourself Handwriting', by John LE F. Dumpleton '1955, my edition is 1964.

There are many scripts....Osmiroid set of six nibs can be found in English Ebay. The nibs fit an Esterbrook. There is also a nice booklet to be had, that shows a number of different scripts.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have gotten the best line variation with Hunt C dip pens, followed by Pilot Parallels. She might try the 1.5mm, as it's reasonably sized. The 2.4mm is probably about comparable to or perhaps larger than a Hunt C0 dip pen. The 3.8mm and 6mm are REALLY big.

As for a good book, I recommend "Calligraphy Studio" by Christopher Calderhead. And remind her that calligraphy is a skill that requires practice to develop; in the beginning, she can expect to be as awful as a violinist first picking up a bow, and that results will depend on the paper, the pen, and the ink (X-Feather, anyone?).

I like my Lamy Joy in 1.5, so I can see exactly what I am doing. The 1.1 might do. The nibs cost @ $7.00, so if she has a Lamy Safari or All Star? that would be the way to go.

I find it easier to draw 'big' letters, than small ones to learn how to draw the letter.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Margaret Shepherd's Learn Calligraphy is one of the best I have:

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0767907329

Another good one, Eleanor Winters and Laurie E. Lico's Calligraphy in Ten Easy Lessons

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/0486418049

Julien Chazal's Calligraphy, A Complete Guide is very good.

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/081171294X

Fountain Pen Network's very own amazing Ken Fraser's book Italic Variations and DVD Calligraphy by Ken Fraser

http://www.kenfrasercalligrapher.com/ I have his book at the ready for reference anytime I write Italic. The DVD is great because you see how the letters are actually made.

My first calligraphy book from high school which I still refer to is the Speedball 20th Edition Textbook (the link is for the most current 23rd edition)

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/0963153250

For calligraphy pens, I use the Rotring Artpens.

http://www.jetpens.c...en-Set/pd/13052

There has been no response as to the style of calligraphy your neice is interested in so two books I have found to be of great value are Practical Calligraphy by Peter Taylor and Calligraphy Made Easy by Margaret Shepherd. I bought both books online.

Peter Taylor's book gives guidence on a number of styles as does Margaret Shepherd's. I cut Calligraphy Made Easy down the spine making is into a looseleaf book and this allows pages to be photocopied giving an endless supply of worksheets to practice on.

As for FPs a great starting point I found is a Lamy Joy set, it gives three nib options, 1.1, 1.5 and 1.9. For me Osmiroid make a great FP for calligraphy, although no longer in production a walk around the internet will find sets still for sale.

I find calligraphy very interesting and can spend hours practicing but at times it can also be very frustrating, tell your neice to purservere.

Remember - PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Greg

Edited by inkeverywhere

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

I have no clue what style she is interested in, I'm not sure she knows the answer to that.

But there is plenty of great info posted here to get her started, thank you all so much!

John L

• 2 weeks later...

Heartily agree with Calligraphy in Ten Easy Lessons. This book finally helped me get it right after I bought about 8 others. If you want to buy just one book, this is the one to get first and it's very reasonably priced.

Agree with Rotring Art Pen, English Osmiroid, or Pilot Paralell pens as starters. I recommend the Rotring as a first choice. Respectfully disagree with the recommendation of the Shaeffer pen. Sad to say this once solid American brand is diminished. The Shaeffers are now inferior pens, work poorly, and don't lay down a nice consistent line.

She should start with a larger nib. I respectfully disagree with the recommendation above about getting a 1.1mm to start. In order to understand and begin to execute the thick/thin line variations of italic calligraphy, the beginner should start with a nib the size of which makes that easier to see and do. Thus she should get the Rotring 2.3 or the Pilot Paralell 2.4 (or the Osmiroid rough equivalent). All these (with exception of Osmiroid) are easily available on Amazon. But also look at the Paper and Ink Arts site.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

I have the following book which I think are good...

"Calligraphy: A Course in Hand Lettering" - Maryanne Grebenstein

And

"Mastering the Art of Calligraphy" - Janet Mehigan

I would suggest that you look for and buy these at your local independent book store, if you have one that is.