Looking For Opinions And Info For An Oversized High End Pen Purchase

J85909266

Ive now owned 3 "oversized" pens and liked each one more than the last: MB149, Sailor KOP and OMAS new Paragon.

I don't get your taste at all though, the Grand Viceroy that jar posted is the best pen suggested so far IMOIMOIMO. might be time for a new desk pen...

Not all dem bones be the same. For some folk the funny bone connects to the chuckle bone, the chuckle bone connects to the laugh bone and there ain't no padding on the shin bone.

My Website

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J85909266

• jmccarty3

• Bill

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Ive now owned 3 "oversized" pens and liked each one more than the last: MB149, Sailor KOP and OMAS new Paragon.

I don't get your taste at all though, the Grand Viceroy that jar posted is the best pen suggested so far IMOIMOIMO. might be time for a new desk pen...

You may think you don't get my taste, but I will tell you, I was not aware of the Omas Paragon, and seeing the "high tech" model completely through me for a loop. It is gorgeous. Can you tell me more? How is the nib? How big is it compared to the 149 nib?

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

You may think you don't get my taste, but I will tell you, I was not aware of the Omas Paragon, and seeing the "high tech" model completely through me for a loop. It is gorgeous. Can you tell me more? How is the nib? How big is it compared to the 149 nib?

These may help.

http://www.fototime.com/C7697AAA46FD813/large.jpg

OMAS 360 in middle with new style Milord and the MB 149 moving to right.

http://www.fototime.com/19A87CFE5C5CB63/large.jpg

As you can see the OMAS nibs are more curved than the MB nib that is flat and open.

My Website

Hari317, are you telling me a nib unit from a Pelikan M1000 fits correctly in an Indian eyedropper? Holy (bleep). That intrigues me. What is that? A Deccan? Gama?

no.

One has to commission a pen which will then be be made so that the M1000 nib unit fits perfectly in it. The pen in the pic is a Deccan IIRC.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

no.

One has to commission a pen which will then be be made so that the M1000 nib unit fits perfectly in it. The pen in the pic is a Deccan IIRC.

Yup, and here are more photos of the Deccan that's featured in Hari's picture.

14596536977_ae0aab2f32_b.jpg

14596403958_ac03a72e6d_b.jpg

Or you could get a Namiki Emperor. That would blow all other pens out of the water in terms of nib size and sheer pen size.

11931434345_5ea0b7cbff_b.jpg

11932284706_41976b55b3_b.jpg

11931711953_5d75962d4a_b.jpg

Edited by shuuemura

Or you could get a Namiki Emperor. That would blow all other pens out of the water in terms of nib size and sheer pen size.

The Budget is 600USD so the Emperors, Mikados and the Genkais are out of the question.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

if you are interested in vintage pens within your budget i would recommend an oversized sheaffer balance or a waterman patrician.

most of the oversized balances seem to be going for between 100-200 and although the patricians can go much higher some can be found for under $500 giving you enough money left over to have it restored.

If you could find one (the company just recently went out of business) a Conway Stewart Churchill, with silver trim, would probably fit the bill. They are fairly light weight though. But absolutely beautiful pens.

Yup, and here are more photos of the Deccan that's featured in Hari's picture.

14596536977_ae0aab2f32_b.jpg

14596403958_ac03a72e6d_b.jpg

shuuemura

I like that Sterling Silver Sailor pen, it even has the Sterling Silver at the nib section. I had a chance to buy a similar Sailor Pen but it was black at the nib section.

Edited by Zaphod_Beeblebrox

The Namiki Emperor is insane. I love it, but it may be too big. I'm still going between the 149 and the King of Pen. This is all about the nib, and those nibs are just gorgeous, to me. Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm a ways off from purchase time, still. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Have a look at the YoL Retro Grande. I have one, a chunky pen, not so shiny as other YoL models and a great nib.

Possibly consider the largest sized modern Parker Duofold as well?

Finally, it's big but I don't know if it's oversized. Any way I will punt it out there. How about a GvFC Intuition? I have the terracotta version. Great writer.

I am very interested in purchasing an oversized, top quality fountain pen. It must be very large, and it must also have a huge, impressive nib. It must also write like a premium pen is expected to. My budget is going to max out at around $600, but I would love to spend less, and I'm okay with buying used.

So far, the pens that I am aware of and my thoughts:

Montblanc 149 - Obviously, I would buy a used one. Great reputation, beautiful pen and nib, piston filler. The only downside is that I have to buy it used, and I'm not a big fan of gold trim

Pelikan M 1000th - It has everything, but I just don't care for the aesthetics.

Sailor King of Pen - This is my current front runner. I love the look of the silver trim ebonite model. I've heard their nibs are best in the business. I even love the silly name. It's a converter filler, which is fine, but not impressive. The main issue here is cost and ordering from Japan.

Delta Dolcevita Oversize - The pen looks nice. I love that it's a true eyedropper. I just hate orange.

My biggest question is whether I'm missing any notable models besides these. I would also love advice about how and where to buy, what to watch out for, and personal experiences and thoughts on these pens.

Thanks!

149 from the years 1965 till 1984 with the best nibs and very smooth piston they even dwarf the king of pen nibs in terms of flexibility and smoothness

Pel m1000 in second hand made prior to 2005

King of pen ridiculous ink capacity

Omas Paragon Arte Italiana very nice nib on them and nice celluloid

Montegrappa Extra , great pen with great nib

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Visconti's maxi pens might fit the bill, no? I've been day-dreaming about a divine desert springs from time to time (as well as a Homo sapiens). I think the former can be found in your price range second hand, but it's also worth checking chatterly luxury/pens. The latter is in your range new, I think.

Although I'm not positive it's an oversize pen, how do you feel about the nakaya neo-standard?

Just a couple of ideas....

Bryant is the person to deal with if you want a perfect out of the box Visconti, Gary Lehrer and Mottishaw also happen to have some nice ones

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Another pen to consider is a Platinum Izumo from John Mottishaw. These are available in urushi or ironwood finishes, the former measuring 6.25" capped, and the latter 6.75" capped. These are very large pens that are not meant to be posted. The finish on these pens and the quality of the nibs is amazing, and they are right in the range of your budget.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I keep coming back to the Visconti Homo Sapiens oversize. Can anyone show me some comparison pictures with the MB 149? Thoughts on those two, head to head?

- Joe

King of Pen, my man. It fits all the criteria you've mentioned. You won't be disappointed. Such a gorgeous pen in that ebonite and rhodium. I mean just look at it!

http://www.engeika.com/data/engeika/product/20130827_dbd5a3.jpg

$550 from engeika, just over $600 with a naginata togi.

Get it, so I can live vicariously through you and the pictures you will be obligated to throw up.