• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pennut

• Left FPN

• Charles Rice

• Ernst Bitterman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One always wonders if these are trick questions but I will answer it anyway and suffer the comments.

The section (the part that holds the nib) unscrews from the barrel (the longer coloured part) where you can either replace the cartridge or use the converter to fill from a bottle of ink.

Did I do OK members.

Fergus, No trick, and I know the answer seems obvious but I seem to be placing a lot of turning pressure when holding the section and trying to twist the barrel counter clockwise. I am always concerned about breaking something if too much pressure is applied. I have two of the Rapsody's and am having the same problem with both. Neither pen has been used in about 3 years.

Edited by pennut

Be very careful. Ok, I'm not sure that the 200 and 100 are the same in this respect, but with the 100 the barrel and nib section fittings are brass which can corrode. This did happen to my Man 100. The result was that when I forced it, the nib section came apart. Soaking might help, but I doubt it. For me, all was well that ended well as I sent it in to Parker (yes Parker - at least 15 years ago) and they fixed it.

Since then I have kept the thread lightly lubed.

Edited by Charles Rice

Charles, I am almost certain the barrel and nib sections are brass. I guess I could send them both off to Waterman and they should be able to help. I am going to check to see if Waterman has any type of Help line.

You might also pitch the pen in the refrigerator, and try to open it with a bare hand on the barrel and a gloved one on the section. Differential heating and expansion might help free things, in addition to a penetrating oil.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

The barrels from man 200 rhapsody's do not have brass. These barrels often have some shrinkage issues.

The standard man 200 and the man 100 versions have brass threads in the barrels.

You could try some gentle heat.

Good luck!

Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com

post-9423-0-14659300-1417230452_thumb.jpgMaybe this pic will help with a proposed solution. I really put some force into trying to unscrew it and this may have resulted in the situation Mr. Pink described above. In the pic the red pipe cleaner is pointing to the part that I think is stuck. I did try letting some WD 40 seep in/around the body of the pen but to no avail.

WOW, this made me check my Caviar and Blue. The Caviar has a slightly tighter thread than the Blue but certainly not the above tight.

I have sold two Rhapsody pens recently but I checked they had the converter in first so I know they were OK.

Are both pens the same colour pattern and is the other still stuck.

The other one is the same pattern but is a reddish orange color. I can't remember the correct name. It is stuck also. I am not sure I have the correct name of the pen. I have been saying they are LeMan 200 Rapsody but that may be wrong.

The other one is the same pattern but is a reddish orange color. I can't remember the correct name. It is stuck also. I am not sure I have the correct name of the pen. I have been saying they are LeMan 200 Rapsody but that may be wrong.

You are correct with the name though most just say Man 200 Rhapsody.

There were three colours in this version, Green, Blue and as per your other pen, Ripple Red.

The plastic material is acetate and If you don't mind me saying I am a little concerned with this coincidence so I ask, where were they stored.

Edited by Force

Both pens are a part of my collection and are kept in my house at normal house temperature. I used the red ripple for a while after I bought it used in a pen shop in a mall in Kansas City. I stopped using it, in part, because I always had trouble getting the ink flow started. During that time I never had trouble getting it unscrewed to place ink in it. The green one was purchased from someone on the FPN and I recall that it was always a little tight when I unscrewed it.

I am thinking that my next step should be to send both of them to Waterman Repair to see what they can do.

Yes, that does look very familiar to me. And not being a great repair type, I sent my Man in for the fix. The good news is that it came back in perfect shape and right now is my pen in rotation.

Both pens are a part of my collection and are kept in my house at normal house temperature. I used the red ripple for a while after I bought it used in a pen shop in a mall in Kansas City. I stopped using it, in part, because I always had trouble getting the ink flow started. During that time I never had trouble getting it unscrewed to place ink in it. The green one was purchased from someone on the FPN and I recall that it was always a little tight when I unscrewed it.

I am thinking that my next step should be to send both of them to Waterman Repair to see what they can do.

When you say house temperature, do you run air conditioning.

Same Q to you Charles if I may.

When you say house temperature, do you run air conditioning.

Same Q to you Charles if I may.

No to the AC