Brass Sheets Substitute

nogoodnamesleft

A bit of backstory first.

Yesterday I was filling in report cards and in the process I made a mistake, no big deal, I reached for my white-out pen and erase my mistake. I continued using my trusty Metropolitan but I noticed that it had flow issues and that pen has given me no trouble since the day I got it. I cleaned it with water and let it be for the night, but still nothing.

I suspect that it may be some of the white-out in the slit of the nib that's given me trouble.

I found out about brass sheet on the Goulet pen site and went looking for it in hardware stores with no luck.

So I'm wondering if wrapping metallic paper would be a good substitute or would it be too soft?

Sorry for the long post :(

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• KBeezie

• nogoodnamesleft

• FOUR X FOUR

Use a strip of acetate. Also known as a transparency sheet. You could also try a toothbrush.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I would suspect that you are right in saying that there is still white out in the lower part your nib slit and probably on the tip of it, as well. Brass sheets are the best tool for the job but they are not the only tool that will get it done. The metallic wrapping paper probably wouldn't do anything other than crumble up. If you don't mind getting ink on your hands, you can try to use your fingernails to pick the white out out of the bottom of the nib slit and off of the very tip of the nib.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

Use a strip of acetate. Also known as a transparency sheet. You could also try a toothbrush.

Thanks, a toothbrush, I never would've thought of that. :o

I've never tried this myself, but every so often I hear people recommending those spark plug shims (or indexing washers), something about them being machined in gradual steps of thickness.

Course if the same thing had happened to me, the nice thing is the Metropolitan's nibs are removeable (you remove them along with the feed since they hook into the feed, as opposed to trying to remove them with the feed remaining in the pen). Which may make brass shim work possibly. But it also means I can utilize my ultrasonic cleaner on just the nib itself if I need to.

The 35mm film suggestion Bruce said is a good one, if you can find any short ends laying around or in the negative sheets. Sadly I don't think many people have those just laying around anymore (I have plenty, but that's just because I've done quite a bit of 35mm, 4x5, MF etc self-development work), they would also handy for a makeshift ND filter. (Farmboy's suggestion of a transparency sheet would work too, especially if you're a teacher since that stuff is probably more readily available to you).

I can't think of many other really thin plastic sheets that would work without getting stuck in the tines themselves (and I would not recommend anything like Mylar paper which is about as thin as film, but it's abrasive nature may affect the flow with the way it polishes the side of the tines).

Thanks, a toothbrush, I never would've thought of that. :o

I would probably remove the nib from the feed before going at it with a toothbrush, just in case. (depending on how the bristles are made, small shavings might end up in the feed channel).

Edited by KBeezie

If there is anything like a hobby shop, or model railroading, in your area, you might be able to find a pack of brass shim sheets. The thinnest of the four-pack are .002 and .001, which is what you are looking for.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one using fountain pens in this city.

If you every buy electronics or mid-range valuable stuff from a retail store, you will see a tiny rectangular sticker (http://www.anti-theftlabel.com/photo/pl731331-anti_shoplifting_insert_dr_label_printed_barcode_labels_45mm_label_length.jpg) somewhere as an anti-theft tool. If you peel one off and remove the white plastic covering, you'll find two strips of thin metal sheets. That's what I've been using and they work really well!

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.”

Graham Greene

Two other options ...

1. Blades from disposable razors are much thinner then regular double edge razor blades. That works well from my experience, though be careful while breaking and removing blades from such disposable razors. Also be VERY CAREFUL while inserting it in between tines as it can damage inner sides of tines and can cause flow issues or nib creep. Try to insert non sharp edge rather then sharper side.

2. If you have used floppy disc around, you can break it and use the disk inside which is probably similar to acetate or 35mm film mentioned in this thread.

I do not think you can buy this tool separately but when I bought my Salior pen with one of their EEEF nibs it cam with a special tool for cleaning out the paper fibers that may clog ink flow. I will try and take a photo of it and post it here.

ISTR reading that any steel inserted in the slit can damage the inside surfaces of the nib.

A model shop might be able to sell you 0.001" brass sheet, which is what I use to clean nibs out without changing the tine setting. I got mine online a year or more ago as a sheet about 4" by 3", and I'm still using the first two ~ 0.75" squares I cut off it.

Edited by PDW

Before you try anything as harsh as metal shim stock, try flossing the slit with Nylon or Dacron sewing thread. Don't use cotton because it can leave fibers behind in the slit.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

ISTR reading that any steel inserted in the slit can damage the inside surfaces of the nib.

A model shop might be able to sell you 0.001" brass sheet, which is what I use to clean nibs out without changing the tine setting. I got mine online a year or more ago as a sheet about 4" by 3", and I'm still using the first two ~ 0.75" squares I cut off it.

I think that's why Brass is used, it's a softer metal than most nibs.

I use aluminum sheet cut from soda can or tealight candle for my slit work needs.

There are other ways than the easiest one too.

I think that's why Brass is used, it's a softer metal than most nibs.

You can still damage a nib slit with Brass.

You just have to work at it a bit more.

Nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently persistent fool.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl