Swan Lever Fillers - What Do I Have Here?

Daddy-O

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wet-Noodle

• Cob

• Effin1

• Goudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oops error, that's on the Conqueror paper again Cob, so it's done quite well really

I have a few sheets of Conqueror here; one side is very nice indeed!

C.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

I always liked the rougher face, which by the way is a great paper to inkjet B&W images onto, but my guess is that the smoother face would be kinder on a flexible nib?

I always liked the rougher face, which by the way is a great paper to inkjet B&W images onto, but my guess is that the smoother face would be kinder on a flexible nib?

Or indeed virtually any fountain pen, though a Sheaffer Lifetime or Swan Eternal nib wouldn't mind either side.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

As I will need to fit a new sac to this 3.S.F. I think that I'll have a first go at removing the feeder and nib from the section, (this is very clearly a bigger pen than either the 100/60 or the 2.S.F.) As far as I can see this 3.S.F. Will need a size 18 sac. May I ask the most basic question please? How do I best remove the nib and feeder? Do I need to place the assembly nib down over an appropriate deepish hole and "encourage" it out by pushing from the sack end?

As I will need to fit a new sac to this 3.S.F. I think that I'll have a first go at removing the feeder and nib from the section, (this is very clearly a bigger pen than either the 100/60 or the 2.S.F.) As far as I can see this 3.S.F. Will need a size 18 sac. May I ask the most basic question please? How do I best remove the nib and feeder? Do I need to place the assembly nib down over an appropriate deepish hole and "encourage" it out by pushing from the sack end?

I think that you had better hang back for a while and do a bit of study; nice old Swan pens with the rarer larger nibs are not the things on which to be practising.

First I recommend that you order the Pen Repair Manual from Dr Oldfield at the PenPractice; this will give you an idea of the tools you need and also the correct procedures - though I disagree with with soaking BHR pens in water - plastics and celluloid is OK.

There is good information to be found also on Goodwriter's Pens Blog where Deb has written a number of articles about repairs. Finally there are Raven's March Pens site and of course Richard Binder's numerous pages.

It's a good idea to read all this stuff before you get the big hammer out..

Cob

Cob

Very good advice as ever Cob, I will get that advice and then have a go at something less important. I'll constrain myself to gently cleaning the nib and feeder instue and fitting a new sac, I do feel able to do that.

The difference between my three Mabie Todds is intreaguing, plenty to practice my writing with!

I never knock nibs out if they appear to be set correctly. I place the nib in a glass of water and blow. If I can't blow and suck water up only then do I knock the nib out so I can clean both nib and feed. I use a nib block and small hammer to do this. Don't put a new sac on unless you have done the water test as the pen will not write once the fresh ink has gone from the nib and feed. On 1 occasion I forgot to do the water test on 3 pens and I had to pull the sacs from 2 of them to clear a blockage. If the section is not BHR sometimes a soak in ammonia water will clear and you still don't need to knock nib out. Lets face it if the nib was set by the original maker who knows better how it should be set.

A point well taken Effin. In fact this 3.S.F. section came out offering just the right friction and I was able to clean up the nib/ feeder/ section as one piece quite easily so that I can blow and suck air through it. Quite a lot of blue black washed away and once clear I carefully dried the BHR section. So it is clear and clean now and I think it's ready for the shellack and new sac (cut to length) to be slightly stretch fitted over the nipple, rotated around the nipple to get even shellack coverage, allowed to set and dusted with a fine layer of French chalk.

The barrel will be gently brushed out taking care not to damage the leaver bar. I can see that the small split in the cap edge was caused by over tightening. It is possible to ease the split open a very little, enough to slide a lightweight sheet of paper through, so I propose to put a very small dab of superglue on to the strip of paper and slide it from the inside out through the crack (while avoiding the screw threads). This will just coat the surfaces of the crack itself, I'll remove any surplice and wind a rubber band tightly around the cap end while the glue sets.

I fear that I need to use The Fountain Pen Network as a public confessional... I have SINNED! Sack cloth! Back beating with chains.... 3000 Heil Mary's, no chips for a month, weeping and gnashing of dentures. WHAT HAS THE WET-NOODLE DONE?!

The fool cracked and purchased ANOTHER Mabie Todd...

"WHAT!"

Yes, a simple Swan 3261.... but guess what... Unused, with original 40/ - price lable attached.

"?"

15 Euros.

Hit me again... I love it!

post-120509-0-51637100-1424802890_thumb.jpg

You....... so and so....

Atone. Immediately hand send over that pen to me.

No desert tonight...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

You....... so and so....

No desert tonight...

D.ick

PS: Nice pen...

D.ick

~

~

I know RMN. People went to the gallows for less, were transported to Tasmania, (which might be quite nice now), eaten alive on reality shows... Toenails pulled out by Latvian Virgin nuns, kippered to death over a vintage Ronson lighter. ...

What can I say? Other than NO, you can't have it!

I know RMN. People went to the gallows for less, were transported to Tasmania, (which might be quite nice now), eaten alive on reality shows... Toenails pulled out by Latvian Virgin nuns, kippered to death over a vintage Ronson lighter. ...

What can I say? Other than NO, you can't have it!

Oh well, then do enjoy it...

D.ick

~

~

I warned you it's a slippy slope.

A yawning chasm, an Effin void Effin1... Alice eat yer 'art out sweetie, the Mad Hatter strikes!

But still .....

NO STOP!

But the R&K Scabiosa schreibtinte in your beautiful 2.S.F Effin... To say nothing of R&K Scabiosa schreibtinte in your stunning 100/ 60 flexible Cob. Or the R&K Scabiosa schreibtinte dip results from the 100 year old 3.S.F. with no bladder, (I know how it feels).

Ah...! Like Toad of Toad Hall, Wet-Noodle is hooked.

Never mind, it'll be WWI trench watches next week you wait and see.

You....... so and so....

No desert tonight...

D.ick

Amen to that IT'S not fair!

P.S. 40 bob (£2) in say 1952 would be perhaps £85 today, not much compared with today's prices I suppose. Mind you in that year my father paid 65 guineas (£68.25) for his 12 inch Ecko television set... Fool! He could have had 34 Swans and a gallon or two of ink.

Cob

Edited by Cob

Whatever happened to Daddy-O? I've trampled all over your thread..... No breakfast either D.ick

Wet-Noodle: it's not just you; apart from the unbelievable Onoto that arrived tody (doesn't belong in Daddy-O's thread) I also received a really lovely SF1, with the usual corking flexible stub nib in perfect nick!

So yah boo and sucks!

Cob

Edited by Cob