Pilot Fa Nib: Is There A Remedy For The Hard Starting Issue?

Cosmo_D

I am interested in purchasing a Pilot pen with an FA nib at some point in the future. However, in all the reviews I have seen the mention the issue of hard starting. Is there a remedy for this? I use my pens for taking notes in class. I don't do calligraphy (my penmanship is terrible), but I feel like I would like a flexible pen. I feel like the hard starting issue is the biggest impediment toward using this pen as a daily writer. I am hoping someone on here will know whether this issue can be overcome, or if it is just over blown.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Finalist

• Cosmo_D

• discopig

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Order it from nibs.com and John M will test it and tune it. It will never hard start. Mine doesn't... Ever.

I can definitely attest to that, though I only have experience with a Pilot Falcon nib from him. I don't know what he does when he tunes nibs, but the difference between my tuned nib from him and stock nib is pretty massive.

Edited by discopig

Order it from nibs.com and John M will test it and tune it. It will never hard start. Mine doesn't... Ever.

That's a good suggestion, but I fill like Nibs.com is prohibitively expensive. The pen is much cheaper from Japan, and Nibs.com only ships Priority International (I live in Canada). It is something to consider I guess.

I guess if I want a flexible pen I should probably just go vintage. The convenience of availability plus the ease of cleaning C/C pens does make it an attractive option. Plus the nib looks super cool. I've also found that I generally like Pilot nibs.

Yes, you can find cheaper, but there's a risk and Nibs.com is worry free. Get it right the first time and they do prep and ship very fast.

i have not faced any problems with pilot nibs from rakuten japan

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

...or get it tuned by Mike Masuyama (Mike-It-Work).

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Uhuh its not tuning thats the point here never never the tuning its the bloody feed unless changing the feed's shape is still called tuning then so be it tuning it is the FA nib needs a lot of ink but the feed can not keep up so here are the remedies write slowly if you want to flex it up write slowly if you want to write normally fast dont attempt to flex it plus get a good converter CON-20 if not e CON-50 I'm still looking for remedies about the ink surface tension in the CON-70 dilemma as this has been said by Dan of FP geeks writing speed is a factor here the nib will write but thats pretty much it

Plus I really dont see using the FA nib as an everyday carry pen as the nib at best comes close to a vintage flex but the feed cant keep up I would however suggest for the same flair get a soft nib custom 74, heritage 91, custom 742, heritage 912 (which also has FA nib options as same goes for the 742), elabo (falcon) this nib is more of an edc pen but you can flair it up because of its extra springy ness again the converter is also a factor I would openly suggest the con-50 for this one again... The con-70 is fine if the ink wasnt getting stuck before the nipple thus thirsting the nib for ink making you need to shake the pen

Plus the pen you want isnt even out yet from nibs.com as its not yet december again presuming your getting the heritage 912 not the custom 742

Edited by Algester