How Many Pens Have You Bought This Year? - 2014

colrehogan

To the Original Post here referencing to a post that started on Jan. 1st on how long can you hold off in buying

your next pen, that was me who started that. I could not tell you how many pens that I picked up this year but I can

say that I snagged every vintage Parker Vac, P51 and any other Parker Item that I could get my hands on at the

auctions that I went to and on ebay and the four flea markets that are held nearby.I would say that I picked up at

least 50 FP's ,pencils & Jotters. Now this winter I will have to do the inventory on all the new additions to my Parker collection.

Ken

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Thier.

• SockAddict

• gweimer1

Far too many! And specifically, two Parker 45's too many, because I now have twelve and I'd made a ten pen wrap for them thinking that would be enough!

Partly accounted for by job lots and flea market finds just too cheap to pass up, but including notably:

• my fifth Lamy 2000, the Taxus ballpoint and the 0.5mm mech pencil
  • Pelikan 100N flea market find
  • Parker 75 godron
  • Parker 51 Vacumatic
  • two little baby Watermans, Lady Agathe and Lady Elsa
  • Parker 51, 61, and Lady all in rolled gold to match my previously acquired 65
  • Edison Collier in Persimmon Swirl
  • Bexley Corona in Blueberry Cream
  • Waterman Man Patrician (flea market find!!!)
  • Kaweco Sport Art - almost completed the set now (just need Rosit and Amecitrin and two of the earlier series, Blues and the browny-yallery one)

About time I slowed down I think.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Add me to the line-up of those who got into fountain pens this year. I'd always used a mechanical pencil for everything, only ever using a pen for my exams, but I wanted to start writing a journal and sketching more, which got me into looking for pens of better quality. So all my pens were purchased this year. Some have been sold, and there are new ones coming before the year is over :P I shan't air my entire laundry list, but my favourites are:

• 2 Esterbrook M2s (one from Gary), 9788 and 9668 nibs
  • Esterbrook A101 with 9128 nib from Art (my first Estie ever)
  • Pilot CH 92, from a local store, soft-medium nib
  • Pilot Makie with a gorgeous pattern of waves, from dcpritch, M nib

The above are the pens I will keep with me forever :)

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

I was pretty good this year. It went in spurts.

I bought a few pens between February and May. Then I bought two in June that never arrived so I got refunded. Over the summer I got the idea of a Nakaya in my head, so I started saving. I bought one pen with an unexpected windfall. Once I met my savings goal (a month early!) I bought 2 pens and not the Nakaya: by then the desire to own one had long since gone away.

So, for this year, the number of pens actually delivered to my home was: 8.

Although I have lots of Nakaya money left and I want a non-cracking Baystate Blue pen, there are no pen purchases on the horizon except possibly as Christmas gifts.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I've been positively abstemious. Only 3 pens. One was bought to use - a BP in GP - Parker 75, just as a carry every day for whenever I happened to have a Parker FP in my pocket that day. At $35 it didn't break the bank.

Which was good as the next one was something I'd been searching for for several years - a Sailor 80th Anniversary briar. That was the pen that Classic Pens modeled their CP7 pens after. Very, very hard to find - one or two come up every 5 years or so.

The other was a special edition of a Delta FP commissioned by our Vancouver Pen Club, which I like to support. Should arrive soon.

http://classicpensinc.com/CP/CP7_800_01a.jpg

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

Well, I know the number and on the one hand it is a bit larger than I expected but still not large (under 10). Still, I was a bit shocked when I realised - until rationalizaton kicked in: I also realised that I have not acquired any pens in 2011, 2012, or 2013. So basically I can even that out for four years, right?

Counted them up and realized I had purchased 18 pens this year, some of them quite expensive but on the other hand I sold 8 pens this year so I am net up 10 pens on the year.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I've been around FPN for seven years now, and it's truly joyful to see how many new recruits jump headfirst into the deep end of the acquisition pool each year. I've only bought three new ones this year: a gold Pilot Metropolitan, a white tiger Metropolitan, and the Montblanc WE for Daniel Defoe. The Metropolitan Museum of Art Elizabethan Armor pen that I bought early in January technically belongs to the 2013 calendar year (Christmas pen) so I don't count that one for 2014.

Thank you all for making me feel a bit better about my own acquisitions! I too started into fountain pens this last year. I would guess between 30 & 40 pens, though many were sold off. This was a process of "figuring out what I like" in a pen, and buying online without being able to hold the pen in person meant a lot of trial and error. My goal is to slow down this next year significantly, ideally stop entirely, and just enjoy what I have. We'll see how that goes - will take a lot of willpower!

Yes, I too had to rely on ordering online for most of my pens. I'm starting to narrow in on what I like, though I've hit a new stage of exploring by venturing into vintage pens. If finances will allow, in the new year I hope to acquire a few diverse vintage pens, find a few truly nice examples of what I like, and BUY EVERY PARKER VACUMATIC I CAN! :drool:

Whoops. Sorry 'bout that.

27 so far, though I've sold some of them off. :) I started this hobby on the first week of May, 2014. I got three more pens coming through post this december.

I started about the same time. How I managed 86 pens this year, I don't know...and I have at least a half dozen more on the way. I've sold off about 20 after reviving them, but they seem to be coming in faster than going out. :yikes:

As for me:

• Montblanc Masterpiece 644G EF
  • Montblanc 146 w/ monotne OM (sold)
  • Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO
  • Montblanc 149 OBB
  • Pelikan 500 Tortoise set (with 450)
  • Pelikan M1000 EF (black)

Pilot Custom Heritage 912 - PO nib - attika89 I mostly blame you

:P

Edited by attika89

none?

Not quite the year I anticipated in many ways.

Unable to join in the fun at pen meets, where I hoped I might slightly improve the modest collections of others.

Which explains the unused Carene I saw again yesterday as I filled daily user pens... really should just list it here.

I did enjoy attending a pen show, where, to my greatest surprise > I bought a pencil :huh: the rt ripple does go nicely with its ringtop pen in its original box with Waterman instructions.

Had I attended a pen meet, I would have sold off my very small collection of restored Esties, except for the stickered blue.. But with the recent news, I may hang on to those after all.

It's not over till it's over, I did successfully avoid pulling the trigger on a VP I've wanted for a long while, but the also heavy unused LE Carene modified that urge ; )

A lot. Mostly under 20.00 However, I just got back into FP's after a long moratorium. I'm pretty much done, except I'm replacing my Preppies and Crystals with Plasirs and Prera's. (ink testing) I use my Nemosine's for ink testing too and switch nibs frequently.

After I get done with switching (still in process) I might splurge on a Pilot Falcon. But that's about it at the moment. And I'm on pen moratorium until after the holidays. But not ink. ;)

7 Platinum Preppies

5 Platinum Plaisirs

4 Pilot Crystal

3 Pilot Metropolitans

3 Nemosine Singularities

2 Noodler's Ahab's

2 Parker 45's

1 Lamy Safari

1 Parker 51

1 Pilot Prera

1 Waterman Kulture

Edited by Vgimlet

Gosh, 17, a lot more than I thought! But of those, I ended up selling quite a few. Trying to even things out sometimes backfired on me, though--I'd sell one pen and buy two.

Includes: 8 Pelikans (3 of those sold; I will eventually replace the vintage sold with others I like better), 2 Montblanc (1 sold), 1 Delta (selling), 1 Caran d'Ache (sold), 1 Kaweco Ice, 1 Rotring; I just got one Conway Stewart and have two new ones coming in December. Tally: 9.

This does not even cover the returns, the ink, and other paraphernalia I've gotten for my pens!!

Edited by paloma32

Being a big fan of Parker most of my purchase was Parkers:

Parker Sonnet Matte Black GT

Parker Sonnet Pink Gold GT

Parker Sonnet Black Lacquer CT

Lamy Joy 1.5 mm

Parker Sonnet Metal and Pearl GT

Parker Sonnet Pearl GT

Parker Sonnet Blue Lacquer CT

Parker Duofold Black and Pearl International (hopefully will get it Monday or Tuesday, according to the tracking information)

and a "few" bottle of inks... but its a different thread...

I got into pens in March of this year when I received a Montblanc Signature for Good Le Grand BP pen as a gift. That led to the following acquisitions:

MB WE Honore deBalzac BP

MB WE Mark Twain BP

MB WE William Faullner BP

MB WE Alexandre Dumas BP

MB WE Daniel Defoe BP

Edison Beaumont RB

MB WE Alexandre Dumas FP Fine Nib

MB 149 Fine Nib

MB Great Characters JFK FP Fine Nib & BP

Lamb South

True Beauty is when a kindly word encourages and brings an unexpected smile.