Questions About Having A Custom Metal Pen Made

EncreSarcelle

I hope this is the correct place to post this. I am considering having a custom pen made. I'd like to support a penmaker from among the FPN fold. I'd like metal, alum/st. st.,or other, raw or matte finished. Any filling system would work. c/c, piston, vac. Obviously c/c would be easiest, and less involved, I'm cool with converters. I like metal sections, plain flattop like a Pelikan or cigar, Lamy 2000ish shaped. I like heavier pens, I don't usually post the cap, just habit. I have a higher pen grip, so I prefer a longish section. Nib interchangeability is great. Looking for a utilitarian build, no fancy engraving, finial, or clip decoration needed. Any suggestions? Open to your opinions.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EncreSarcelle

• Joseph B

• jj9ball

• Inspector

Personally I'm not in a position at the moment. Would you consider a kit pen with Aluminium used in place of the usual wood or plastics? The Asian kit hardware could be Chrome, Rhodium, Black or Gold Titanium to contrast or compliment with the textured or polished Aluminium cap and barrel. The kit nib could be replaced with a Bock nib too if you don't like the one that comes with the parts and the Aluminium can be anodized in almost any colour you might want.

There are some solid Stainless Steel pen kits made in the USA by Lazerlinez. Classic Nib is having some prototype Stainless Steel kits made in a Canada and with an eye to making some later in solid Titanium. He also has a solid Silver Kit too.

Silver Pen Parts.Com makes pen Silver kits too.

Pete

I'd be interested in working with you. You can do a search and see examples of my work. We could use aluminum or Stainless steel. If you did stainless steel its possible you would have the heaviest pen on the planet :D . If you want to talk more take a look at my work and send me a private message.

Come see some of my handmade pens!!!

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

That's nearly perfect!! How much did you sell it for??

Typo

Edited by EncreSarcelle

I haven't sold it, generally just making pens for enjoyment of myself and friends. Send me a private message as to the range you were thinking and Ill see if I can do it for that. Where in Tennessee are you located? I live near Bristol. Thanks, Joe

Also, If you didn't necessarily want to go custom, this Kickstarter pen seems close to your description. The project is already funded but one will likely be able to find them online in the not too distant future if it proceeds like other pen projects.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/54235873/nexus-minimal-fountain-pen?ref=nav_search

Joe

I do like that!! What's the weight? Length? $ price?

Thanks a bunch. It was interesting to make. Length is 5 5/8" long capped. Uncapped (the cap doesn't post) the pen is 5 1/4" long. The weight is 5.2 oz or around 150 grams (no that isn't a misprint). It feels like you are holding a barbell. If you want a heavy pen you will be hardpressed to find one heavier. I was planning on listing it for $149.99 on ebay. That's probably negotiable if you are at least in the ballpark of my price. Please remember that it did take me the better part of 3 hours to make when you are deciding how much you think its worth. Thanks again for the complement and if you are interested just send me a private message and we can work out the details from there.

Jeff.

Come see some of my handmade pens!!!

www.jandjwooddesigns.net

150 gr makes one re-think the commonly used phrase, "I like heavier pens." I don't think that's unusable, but you'd definitely know it was there.

• 3 months later...

I hope this is the correct place to post this. I am considering having a custom pen made. I'd like to support a penmaker from among the FPN fold. I'd like metal, alum/st. st.,or other, raw or matte finished. Any filling system would work. c/c, piston, vac. Obviously c/c would be easiest, and less involved, I'm cool with converters. I like metal sections, plain flattop like a Pelikan or cigar, Lamy 2000ish shaped. I like heavier pens, I don't usually post the cap, just habit. I have a higher pen grip, so I prefer a longish section. Nib interchangeability is great. Looking for a utilitarian build, no fancy engraving, finial, or clip decoration needed. Any suggestions? Open to your opinions.

EncreSarcelle, Have you found what you were looking for ?