Hi, My Name Is Morwen And I Am An Ink Hoarder :)

Morwen

On the plus side of people like us buying way too much ink, if it were not for us there would not be the depth of ink available. The ink manufactures wouldn't stay in business very long if each of us restricted our inventory to just one or two bottles.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morwen

• amberleadavis

• Charles Rice

• tinysnail

On the plus side of people like us buying way too much ink, if it were not for us there would not be the depth of ink available. The ink manufactures wouldn't stay in business very long if each of us restricted our inventory to just one or two bottles.

Still i know some people who buy inks for a day like its end of the world... When clearly these inks would be back the next month :(

Ink hoarding is fine as long as its in moderation but when your buying 5 bottles of the same color at the same day thats just nuts yo

Edited by Algester

I don't hoard ink in the way that I buy multiples of the same bottles. However, I hoard in the way that I love to buy ink more than I love to use it. I often feel that it's such a shame to start a new bottle, and I find it's a sort of stumbling block that I have to get through. I have bought 4 bottles of PI ink (all different) yet I don't want to start using them because then they will be used bottles just like my others.

I actually, honestly, have much more ink than I can possibly use during the rest of my lifetime. Even if I wrote all day, every day, without sleeping, I wouldn't use it all. So that's a bit silly, and I really should stop buying it. But there are so many lovely inks around, I'm always tempted.

Of the inks I use, I use some of them more regularly than others. The inks that I know I can never get again, I suppose I use more sparingly. I know that every time I refill a pen with my Mb Hitchcock, White Forest or Meisterstuck Diamond, that I should be careful because I will never get it again. However, I am quite philosophical about that. I know that there will be something similar that's just as good if not better. I was like this with my PPS. Then I decided I have to use it or it will deteriorate even more. So I now have a Parker 45 that is always filled with it and I only have half a bottle left. Eeeek

I have promised my OH that I won't buy any more ink...... For the rest of this year. :lticaptd:

Come January, I want Diamine 150th Blue Velvet and Mb JFK and so it goes on....

Well, if they are back the next month, what is actually the problem for the other buyers? They'll get it next month :). I It might be an issue with limited edition colours, but in that case, ink hoarding is justified, isn't it? I for one, regret buying only one bottle of Edelstein garnet, as it is fast becoming unavailable. Still, it was around and in production for a year, so I am pretty sure everyone who wanted to try it got a shot. is there anyone who would buy 5 bottles of the same colour without trying the ink out first? Maybe, I am not sure. I may sound callous, but it never crossed my mind that I should limit buying ink so there is more left for other people (unless they are my friends), and I certainly do not expect other people to limit their purchases so that more is left for me. It's a world of competition, for everything :).

Anyway, what I find strange in my particular case is not buying more than one bottle of a colour, but getting absurdly attached to all my bottles, even if they contain ink that is not among my favourites.

Still i know some people who buy inks for a day like its end of the world... When clearly these inks would be back the next month :(
Ink hoarding is fine as long as its in moderation but when your buying 5 bottles of the same color at the same day thats just nuts yo

Edited by Morwen

This one,
I think,
is called a Yink.
He likes to wink,
he likes to drink.
He likes to drink, and drink, and drink.
The thing he likes to drink
is ink.
The ink he likes to drink is pink.
He likes to wink and drink pink ink.
SO…
if you have a lot of ink, then you should get

a Yink, I think... B)

From the sainted works of Suess.

Edited by Amberjack

I don't understand people being against ink hoarding. I don't buy a ton of ink back ups unless I really really like the ink. If it's a LE, then it seems smart to shore up. If it's not a LE, then why can't other people buy it when it's restocked? I mean, I have to wait too sometimes, you know? I just got a bottle of Ozone from SankoDo, which was sold out last time I tried to get it.

The reality is someone will always buy something, and that leaves someone else wanting it, whether it's one bottle or 4. Sometimes i'm the person that gets it, sometimes I'm the person waiting.

I also don't think it's, nuts, yo. There are some inks that have come around again years later (yama-dori for example), and some that haven't. Sometimes my ink hoarding looks nuts, sometimes not. That's the way of the world though. Sometimes you do stuff and it completely wasn't warranted. Sometimes you do stuff and you're left thinking, "thank god I did that!" For example, MB SG 2005 is the only brown I like. I've tried many browns since first using it, and I kind of hate them all. Suddenly, buying 7 bottles of the 30 mL guys doesn't seem crazy to me. People said, "another brown will come along later that you like as much". It's been 9 years and I'm still waiting for that to happen.

This line from Morwen makes perfect sense to me - "What I find strange in my particular case is not buying more than one bottle of a colour, but getting absurdly attached to all my bottles, even if they contain ink that is not among my favourites." I so get that, Morwen!

So true!!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks saskia_madding, Amber and all others - maybe one day I'll learn to let go, maybe not, in the mean time, I'll enjoy my collection, by writing or by looking :).

I still go through phases and I can't see my stuff again once I give it away.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It started in the usual way... I got one bottle of ink, Aurora black, to use with my parker jotter, because I did not like the quink cartriges. Then I started browsing the internet. Discovered Diamine... come on, a bottle of Oxblood will not hurt. Then I discovered Noodlers. Bought 10 bottles while on a trip to the US to save on shipping. Private reserve... Then discovered Iroshizuku... And Sailor. And Akkerman. J herbin... you get the picture.

It is not economical for me to buy samples, so I often buy the full bottle directly, thinking that if I do not like it, can can use it in a mix or give it away. I have bought inks just for the pretty bottle, thinking I'll use up the ink and have the pretty bottle for the mixes. BUT...

I realized with horror, that I do not want to use up ANY of my inks! Not unless I have a second bottle. Not even the ones I do not particularly like! And while it would make sense to order spares of the favourite colours, the ones that are just OK will just stay there, because I have to have them all. I will not have a pretty Akkerman or Iro or Kingdom Note bottle for mixes any time soon because I do not want no NOT have this ink any more... When did this happen? I imagine myself hugging my ink drawer and drooling and saying "My Preciousssss"!

And the funny thing is, I am not sure I want this to change :):).

Anyone else suffering the same "mental disorder"?

I still go through phases and I can't see my stuff again once I give it away.

May I suppose you mary dear Amberlea...

People say that she has more inks then there are Stars in the universe...

And er ... she is our ink star...

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

Oh, you are too sweet!

I'll need a lot more inks to catch up with Saskia and Sam.

I have to admit I have a serious crush on Amberlea's ink collection, but alas, I am already married :)

May I suppose you mary dear Amberlea...

People say that she has more inks then there are Stars in the universe...

And er ... she is our ink star...

I understand...the good guys are married or have great boyfriends.

Next year when that Sweet Potato Purple arrives again, It shall be mine, oh yes, even by the case!

Ahem

Carry on...

I guess this image doesn't look so bad, until I tell you that I have more 4 bottles on their way to me and I only started on my inky journey in July of this year...

http://41.media.tumblr.com/d839905d133edb8b4b7e5adf2b79b8ed/tumblr_nfl64jy3zK1qgziczo1_1280.jpg

It's also missing the 2 bottles of Noodler's, 3 bottles of R&K, and one bottle of Pelikan 4001 Black that I keep in my desk at school.

(Right now, my ink is occupying the bottom cupboard of this corner furniture thing we have:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/2d4b28ac1f9db0a5b54a91e898121c26/tumblr_nfl64jy3zK1qgziczo2_1280.jpg

Maybe someday I'll take over the whole thing!)

PS: yes, that's a bottle of Parker 51 ink on the top!

http://41.media.tumblr.com/902312212cf80797b726a96afa23b7a4/tumblr_nfl64jy3zK1qgziczo3_1280.jpg

I think it's looking great! You are an inkster after my own heart.

OH, and I should again express that I am able to quit for hours at a time (usually while I am asleep, and only when I don't dream about ink) and therefore, I don't have a problem.

My husband has stopped saying "Guess how many pens she has!" and now says "Guess how much ink she has!"

But really -- the bottled stuff mostly all fits in 2 really nice IKEA boxes, with the ink vial trays in a third one the same size. The fourth box is mostly empty: it's back-up bottles, to keep them out of the way so I don't knock the bottles over.

And a fair amount of the samples are actually inks I either haven't yet tried, or didn't absolutely love enough to spring for a full bottle. As for the bottled ink, a good chunk are ones that I sampled first; the only ones that aren't were for inks for which samples weren't available either due to what they were or where I got them.

In the first category are the the Akkermann inks (from the FPN group buy), the bottles of FPN member Pharmacist's iron gall inks, and -- soon -- ones from the KWZI (North American group buy). The second category are inks from various B&M stores that didn't have samples available (although in some cases I *could* have gotten samples elsewhere), plus a couple of bottles that I got as swag at the two times I got to go to DCSS (an unopened bottle of Conklin Endura Black, and an unopened bottle of Delta Skeleton, which I think is also black); it also includes a few bottles of vintage ink I've happened onto in antiques stores or on Ebay.

Okay, the samples I've tried do come to around a hundred vials at this point -- I know, because that's how many vials would fit in the trays I have. But that does not translate to 100 bottles (and includes a few duplicate samples.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think it's looking great! You are an inkster after my own heart.

Hehe, well thank you! what an honour. Ink is just the most fun.

Oooo a Tascam 122 deck !!! Lovely!

It iiiis lovely. Boyfriend got it for a real steal earlier this year and it's delightful. We listen to a lot of tapes, surprisingly.