Pilot Fine Nib Longevity

a_m

I have been using Pilot fine nib FP for some weeks now - the MR / Metropolitan variety. And I love it. I usually write 5 - 6 pages on average everyday with that pen.

So can FPN member(s) using those kinds of nibs tell me their experience as to how long would that last at that rate of 5- 6 A4 page writing.

Am I being unduly worried? The nib does look "fragile" - not literally - its just perhaps I am being a bit more careful. The nib does write beautifully & smoothly. I feel as if my writing seems much more better & classy with that kind of fine nib.

(I do have Pilot Petit F also, but not unduly worried about it)

thanks

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a_m

• KBeezie

• Wolverine1

• JowBow

Top Posters In This Topic

Those nibs are tipped so they should last indefinitely. I have pens that I have used almost daily for a couple of years that look brand new. Also, I have vintage pens that have literally outlasted their original owners.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

Modern Stainless steel from a respectable manufacture is made to last very well, plus most of the inks we use now days are not nearly as likely to corrode the steel (As opposed to older inks and some of the older steel nibs with more impurities).

Also this Pilot is a "Fine" (writes like a Japanese Extra-Fine) from October 1978 and it's still fine. It's a stainless steel nib, not gold.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/murex/full.jpg

If you take care of your pen, use proper pen hygiene, and clean them out every few months they should last you indefinitely.

The nib should last as long as you need it to, as long as you don't drop it or abuse it. The tipping material can get worn to your writing style and feel even better over time.

I have a Pilot pen that I inherited from my Uncle who bought it sometime in the late 1960s in Pune. (He was a Professor in the AFMC there). Well, I dont know what model it is, but that pen works fine today, almost 45 years later. And I see no reason why it shouldnt last for another generation.

So, dont worry about you pen, it is not going to wear out.

I have a Pilot pen that I inherited from my Uncle who bought it sometime in the late 1960s in Pune. (He was a Professor in the AFMC there). Well, I don't know what model it is, but that pen works fine today, almost 45 years later. And I see no reason why it shouldn't last for another generation.

So, dont worry about you pen, it is not going to wear out.

Besides, it's a metropolitan. :D Unless they suddenly kill off the nib format for their entire metro/mr/cocoon/78g/penmanship/prera/etc line it's not like you couldn't just replace it. And bout the only reason you'd need to is as said it gets damaged (or intentionally ground to the base with some hasty nib re-shaping), or constantly written on stone paper or something. *chances* are a metro is going to be upgraded from in 10-15 years, unless someone treats it like how some people treat a Safari from the 80s and just hold onto it forever (which are steel nib as well).

Edited by KBeezie

Many thanks for the wonderful feedback. I am feeling more confident now :D

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

As others have said, so long as the nib is tipped with "iridium" or alloys of similar hardness and wear resistance, your nib should outlast you.