What Kind Of A Pfm Is This? Vintage But A Converter Filler.

penboard.de

Hello out there,

got this pen last week - thought it had a stuck plunger...

bought it anyway..

to find a converter filled PFM

?? never heard of such a pen.

is this a regular pen ?

what model ?

thanks for informing a "sheaffer ignorant"

Best regards

Tom

post-5070-0-20896400-1416914489_thumb.jpg

Tom Westerich

See whats newly listed on PENBOARD.DE

email: twesterich@penboard.de

Abruzzo/Italy and Hamburg/Germany

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penboard.de

• kirchh

• KBeezie

• ralfstc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I could be wrong as well, but I thought all PFM's were Snorkel Fillers.

The Imperials have the same inlaid nibs and design like the PFM but with a Cartridge and Touchdown system.

Edit:

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=coll/col_06.htm

Sheaffer’s Imperial, from the 1960s, looks like, but is not, a PFM (“Pen For Men”). It’s a good pen: classy and masculine, a trimmer version of its broad-shouldered parent. The Imperial line included cartridge models and Touchdowns.

Hopefully you did not pay a PFM price.

Yours may be an Imperial IV (the III before it was Touchdown only).

Edited by KBeezie

HI Karl, its definitely a PFM size pen, not an Imperial.

and the way the snorkel channel is tapped professionally, its not an amateur´s job.

and no, I did not pay a pfm price... :-)

Regards

Tom

Tom Westerich

HI Karl, its definitely a PFM size pen, not an Imperial.

and the way the snorkel channel is tapped professionally, its not an amateur´s job.

and no, I did not pay a pfm price... :-)

Regards

Tom

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferImperialsEarly.htm

There's a snorkel tube... someone hacked up a PFM eh? (I see it in the pic now)

It looked so much like an Imperial IV such as in this ad for one.

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/Pics/SheafferImperial1961Ad.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

Tom,

Looks as though someone has removed the snorkel mechanism and replaced it with a Sheaffer squeeze converter.

The pen is definitely a PFM III which has been converted.

I guess it might even work as a touchdown filler if the seals are good enough.

I assume there is no spring in the barrel?

It could probably be converted back if you got hold of the snorkel mechanism and spring.

Cheers !

Sarj

Tom,

Looks as though someone has removed the snorkel mechanism and replaced it with a Sheaffer squeeze converter.

The pen is definitely a PFM III which has been converted.

I guess it might even work as a touchdown filler if the seals are good enough.

I assume there is no spring in the barrel?

It could probably be converted back if you got hold of the snorkel mechanism and spring.

Cheers !

you think, its not a prototype to drive an Isaac ´s son mad? just a well done (but still not factory made) conversion?

:-(

should i cancel this post and put the pen up on ebay as a "sheaffer do not know what"

but with an anonymous account please.

Saluti

Tom

Tom Westerich

you think, its not a prototype to drive an Isaac ´s son mad? just a well done (but still not factory made) conversion?

should i cancel this post and put the pen up on ebay as a "sheaffer do not know what"

Saluti

Tom

Who knows ? If that was the case, I have a gazillion prototypes sitting in my cabinet :)

Cheers !

Sarj

Saluti

Tom

Well if they didn't like bond or weld the converter into the section and you're able to just slide it out, then you should be able to use "For Repair/Parts" PFMs to replace the snorkel internals to make it original again. From the picture everything else looks excellent, would be a shame if you couldn't make it whole again, but at the same time from the outward appearance it's still a PFM and I'd imagine still writes like one.

Well, I had a second look,

disassembled the section, screwed out the insert - this is a perfectly made plastic piece, made to hold a converter, cartridge. No 4 grooves cut inside to guide the metal touch down unit. but a perfect metal tube to hold the converter, inside this tube an ebonite tube, that fills the space, that would have contained the PFM snorkel .

If it was a home made conversion - Where to find such an insert? - is there any Donor Sheaffer pen with the dimensions of a PFM ?

But more puzzling - the blind cap - that would unscrew with a PFM - barrel of this one is a one piece, just a tiny groove cut to make it look like a blind cap similar to PFM.

strange ... and impossible to revert to a real PFM - as it has never been one with Touchdown.

maybe born as a PFLM - Pen For Lazy Men? :-)

Tom Westerich

Well, I had a second look,

disassembled the section, screwed out the insert - this is a perfectly made plastic piece, made to hold a converter, cartridge. No 4 grooves cut inside to guide the metal touch down unit. but a perfect metal tube to hold the converter, inside this tube an ebonite tube, that fills the space, that would have contained the PFM snorkel .

If it was a home made conversion - Where to find such an insert? - is there any Donor Sheaffer pen with the dimensions of a PFM ?

But more puzzling - the blind cap - that would unscrew with a PFM - barrel of this one is a one piece, just a tiny groove cut to make it look like a blind cap similar to PFM.

strange ... and impossible to revert to a real PFM - as it has never been one with Touchdown.

maybe born as a PFLM - Pen For Lazy Men? :-)

Maybe a salesman sample?

Look at the puzzling details...

yes, the inside of the modified insert looks a bit rough like home made.

but especially the one piece barrel raises questions...

post-5070-0-72922900-1416931740_thumb.jpg

Tom Westerich

Could that ebonite rob just be the small feed that a snorkel tube normally contains? If that's the case, I would think it would be fairly loose in there without the snorkel tube. Does it hold ink??

You're right though, the one piece barrel is indeed interesting! First thought was that someone swapped barrels, but if my memory serves, the converter imperials didn't have any hint at a blind cap?

Could that ebonite rob just be the small feed that a snorkel tube normally contains? If that's the case, I would think it would be fairly loose in there without the snorkel tube. Does it hold ink??

You're right though, the one piece barrel is indeed interesting! First thought was that someone swapped barrels, but if my memory serves, the converter imperials didn't have any hint at a blind cap?

And then, excuse my ignorance - converter imperials - would they be same size and diameter than a PFM III ?

Tom Westerich

I'm confused; the image shows a two-piece barrel.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

I think this has to be a factory prototype, doesn't it? The blind cap being attached to the body and the lack of the four grooves suggests that. The body has the breather hole towards the blind cap too. Very cool!

Ralf

Nope, there is just a thin line engraved ...

That's a joint. Probably cemented. Shine a light up the barrel and you'll see the tenon of the blind cap.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer

I think this has to be a factory prototype, doesn't it? The blind cap being attached to the body and the lack of the four grooves suggests that. The body has the breather hole towards the blind cap too. Very cool!

Ralf

The blind cap is probably cemented on. All PFMs have the vent hole at the end of the barrel.

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh

Daniel Kirchheimer

I think this is a pretty cool PFM.

Maybe a prototype or small series production or just a very well customized pen, who knows?

I really would like to own such a pen!

C.

Edited by christof