What Is Your Least Favorite Iroshizuku Ink

uchinanchukg

Hello FPN members,

So, we have a "What is Your Favorite Iroshizuku Ink" topic

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/277690-what-is-your-favorite-iroshizuku-color/

Now I thought it would be interesting to see what is the least favorite Iroshizuku Ink.

Please please don't think that I am trying to bash Iroshizuku ink.

I thought maybe we can try "eliminating" ink choices from the line up and see what we end up with.

I'll start with the inks that I like (just so people don't think I'm just trying to be negative)

I like the following inks:

Murasaki Shikibu - great color, I love this shade of purple

Yama Budo - lovely color, never thought I would like it but glad I bought a bottle

Kon Peki - A lovely cerulean blue. My non-fountain pen wife likes the color too.

Tsukushi - Very nice shade of brown, I've only tried from my friends' bottle and am tempted to buy one too.

The least favorite:

Ajisai

I do think that the color does resemble the soft Hydrangea tone very well. Sometimes I really like that but sometimes I think it's a very wishy washy color.

I also find that it can feather versus the other Iroshizuku inks that I've tried.

Please note I didn't say hate, but least favorite.

Keiji

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• uchinanchukg

• Bigeddie

• lgsoltek

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't care for the looks of Ina-Ho. For that matter, I really hate the look of all sepia toned inks.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

I really don't care for the looks of Ina-Ho.

I agree here. I actually like some reviews of ina-ho, but I haven't been able to put it in a pen and be really satisfied with the color.

Ina-ho is my choice for marking and underlining the blue-black text (for instance, in Shin-Kai). I use it with 'corsu' nib. In this role it shines. As to the least favorite, it is Shin-Ryoku. May be I also don't know how to use it? Would be nice to know about your preferred applications of this ink.

Edited by fromthecrowd

The least favorite:

Ajisai

+1

My bottle performs terribly, feathers on everything, even Rhodia. I don't know if my bottle was just an odd one or if this is typical of the ink.

Asa-Gao, Fuyu Syogun and Kon Peki as favorites :)

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

I love Iroshizuku inks, but Fuyu-Syogun was not for me. I wanted so much to like it, but it it was just too pale for my tastes. It looked like I was writing with used bathwater.

Favorites so far are:

Tsuki-yo, darker more 'subtle' blue in a way that has different trait depending on just how dry or wet my pen is.

Syo-ro, normally I'm not much for faded inks, but the almost sort of mint green seems to be nice especially in wetter nibs (But doesn't shade as much as say Blue Steel which is close to the color but more blue).

Tsutsuji, not normally a big fan of pinks, but it's a nice legible pink especially in a japanese EF and leaves a gold shimmer/sheen on rhodia.

Kon-peki, especially in a stub, the shading in some cases spreads out to the edge of the strokes giving it an almost bordered look. It's a better behaved alternative to Liberty's elysium when I don't need the water-proofness.

Don't Care for :

Ama-iro : too bright and way too wet flowing for me in most the pens I've used it in.

Kiri-same : ... it's just grey.

Mixed Opinion:

Fuyu-syogun.

I'll let this sarcastic write sample do the talking on that one.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/nighthawk/fuyusyogun.jpg

My favorites in alphabetical order

Chiku-Rin

Fuyu-Gaki

Ina-Ho

Ku-Jaku

Syo-Ro

Tsukushi

Yama-Budo

Yu-Yake

I dislike

Shin-Ryoku

Momiji

Murasaki-Shikibu

Kosumosu

Ajisai

Take -Sumi

Tsutsuji

I don't care for the rest. Yama-Guri though may be worth trying. Funnily even though brown is my favorite color Yama-Guri is only Iro I haven't tried.

I will be a contrarian and say that I like Ajisai, but it's more an ink for spring and summer than this time of year. I've had more trouble with bleed-through than I expected.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I really can't bring myself to like Momiji. I'm not fond of pinkish hues (even though I really like Sailor's Oku-Yama!) and some reviews display it as a deep reddish tone while others make it look very pink. I would like to try it, but not enough to buy as I suspect I might really hate it. Haven't tried Ajisai either; just looks a bit dull to me.

Favorite: Take-sumi, Fuyu-syogun, Shin-kai and Yama-guri.

Least favorite: Ina-ho, Chiku-rin, Asa-gao and Ajisai. Maybe I just haven't found a good use for these inks or have tried them in the wrong size nib. Fortunately, I only bought samples and not bottles.

Smith Premier No. 4

I wanted Chiku-rin for a while, but I received a sample at about the same time as I received my bottle, and by the time I had used up my sample, I no longer liked it so I sold my bottle.

I also bought Ku-jaku but I'm not sure about it now, so I have never used it. I wish I had bought Asa-gao instead.

I really like Kon-peki and Syo-ro

Well, I still haven't bought Kosumosu, because I am not a fan of pink, and Tsukushi, because I am particular about my browns and I am not sure I will like this one. I own all the rest though, and eventually might get these two just to finish the collection. I can say that of the ones I have, Kiri-Same is my least favourite. It is a good performer, but it just looks like very diluted black. I do not see the charm. Unlike the other grey in the line, fuyu-syogun which I love, it is not interesting at all to me...

Unlike some folks here I do love Ajisai, if I use it up I'll probably get a second bottle. No accounting for taste I guess :).

Edited by Morwen

Ina-Ho and Chiku-rin are the least usable in normal writing - in both cases Sailor have inks which are very close in their Kobe range [22 Gold and 19 Lime Green] which are just a shade darker than these two and are useable in normal writing

Kiri-same for me. It's a boring grey. I'll see if I can mix it to make it less "bleh".

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Well, I still haven't bought Kosumosu, because I am not a fan of pink, and Tsukushi, because I am particular about my browns and I am not sure I will like this one. I own all the rest though, and eventually might get these two just to finish the collection. I can say that of the ones I have, Kiri-Same is my least favourite. It is a good performer, but it just looks like very diluted black. I do not see the charm. Unlike the other grey in the line, fuyu-syogun which I love, it is not interesting at all to me...

Unlike some folks here I do love Ajisai, if I use it up I'll probably get a second bottle. No accounting for taste I guess :).

It's very interesting to see how someone's favorites are someone's least favorites.

I'm glad we have a variety of inks for each of our unique tastes.

KG

Yama-budo is not only my least favourite Iroshizuku, it's my least favourite ink of all: it actually irritated me to write with it. It's too much like fuschia for me.

I like Tsuki-yo, Kiri-same, Ajisai and Tsuyu-kusa, but if I could only pick one Iro it would be Yama-guri. There's simply nothing else like it.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Momiji and Ku-Jaku are the two I don't care for, so far. I haven't tried them all yet, but many seem a bit pale. I do want to try the Winter Persimmon, I can't recall the proper name right now.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

Ina Ho. I don't really know what to do with it. I keep thinking I can mix it with something but I have zero ideas.

My current faves are Yama Budo, Ku-Jaku, Kon-Peki.

Edited by AlejoPlay