Is There Black Stationery?

ScottT

I have seen gold, silver and bronze gel pens, AND before you all gasp collectively, I have also seen some incredible metallic inks for dip pens. So I thought black stationery would be a given.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have seen some black art papers, but that isn't what I seek. In a perfect world, something like anti-Triomphe, for the color at least. In a nice pad. A nice, inexpensive pad.

Is it out there?

Thanks all!

Edited by ScottT

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ScottT

• kazoolaw

• pen2paper

• Plume145

I can't remember the link or who exactly, but I think Field Notes actually had a black paper version of their notebooks that was usually provided with a white inked felt pen of sort to write on. Not sure if that's in the realm of what you're looking for. (I'm also not certain if they had a Tomoe River version of that).

I haven't heard of any, but you're right, it would look great! Bit gothic, maybe, so probably not to write your grandmother (unless you have one cool granny) but still!! On the bright side you can easily make it yourself because you just want a pad, making your own pads is the easiest type of stationery to make yourself. The main issue is finding a good source for paper stock - once you got that set, you have it cut at a copy shop, and either they pad it for you or you can do that yourself with some padding glue and a clamp. That's it! For the paper stock, I think apart from the obvious places like art or craft supply shops, you could try paper mill shops and office supply places as well.

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

I can't remember the link or who exactly, but I think Field Notes actually had a black paper version of their notebooks that was usually provided with a white inked felt pen of sort to write on. Not sure if that's in the realm of what you're looking for. (I'm also not certain if they had a Tomoe River version of that).

Looking more for paper suitable for letters versus notes, but will check out Tomoe River paper. Thanks for the info!

I haven't heard of any, but you're right, it would look great! Bit gothic, maybe, so probably not to write your grandmother (unless you have one cool granny) but still!! On the bright side you can easily make it yourself because you just want a pad, making your own pads is the easiest type of stationery to make yourself. The main issue is finding a good source for paper stock - once you got that set, you have it cut at a copy shop, and either they pad it for you or you can do that yourself with some padding glue and a clamp. That's it! For the paper stock, I think apart from the obvious places like art or craft supply shops, you could try paper mill shops and office supply places as well.

I've found several sources of heavier stock paper, and Michael's is having a clearance on their stock paper pads, if anyone is looking for some 65lb at a very good price.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll widen my search. I tend to forget about the bigger supply stores, probably because they have been so spectacularly unhelpful in the past. :)

yeah, you want the places where artists really shop for supplies, more than stores that say 'art supplies' in the title but tend to cater mostly to hobbyists who are more into shopping for the supplies than using them. You know, the word-of-mouth type places?

Try around art schools, architecture schools, graphic design schools, and so on. Heck, anywhere there's higher ed might get you results. Don't be afraid to stop people and ask - look for anyone who's carrying art supplies around, or a folio, stuff like that. Craft shops are a good bet but they have to have a more artsy bent, catering to crafts like decoupage, they shouldn't be too focused on memory crafts (eg scrapbooking) because that's another approach. They don't use solid colored paper very much.

Edited by Plume145

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

I bought one when was in my middle school...stationary store back street....no brand....I writ in pencil and red ink...it just seemed blind...slightly shows

yeah, you want the places where artists really shop for supplies, more than stores that say 'art supplies' in the title but tend to cater mostly to hobbyists who are more into shopping for the supplies than using them. You know, the word-of-mouth type places?

Try around art schools, architecture schools, graphic design schools, and so on. Heck, anywhere there's higher ed might get you results. Don't be afraid to stop people and ask - look for anyone who's carrying art supplies around, or a folio, stuff like that. Craft shops are a good bet but they have to have a more artsy bent, catering to crafts like decoupage, they shouldn't be too focused on memory crafts (eg scrapbooking) because that's another approach. They don't use solid colored paper very much.

Great advice Plume, thanks!

Try Zazzle Paper - zazzle.com - they have a huge selection of stationery.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qEhj-rQSAU

gary

hey, Thanks! needed that, was feeling a tad sorrowful.. must be the weather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjadWaB_L2g

; )

Edited by pen2paper

I remember being able to walk into any drug store or Walmart style store and buying ordinary notebooks filled with black paper - metallic gel pens were all the rage about 12 years ago... anyway I just typed in 'black paper' and found this on Amazon, this is much like what I describe above, perhaps it will help... perhaps you might try a few sheets of the Neenah Astrobrights paper at a local office supply store

Edited by stonezebra

Besides "construction" paper, I have seen several good quality art papers in the craft stores.

However, actual "writing " paper in black has evaded detection. I fear that there is relatively

small demand. Compatibility with general use would be a negative factor. A retailer is not

going to stock it, if it doesn't sell. I would suggest writing directly to paper manufacturers.

I don't like it. 99% of inks don't like it. The Postal Service doesn't like it. Wanna burn up $25

worth of toner ? Fax someone a black page. He'll throw a brick through your window. Sorry.

Garlic flavored chewing gum !

With all sincerity, good luck.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I have seen gold, silver and bronze gel pens, AND before you all gasp collectively, I have also seen some incredible metallic inks for dip pens. So I thought black stationery would be a given.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have seen some black art papers, but that isn't what I seek. In a perfect world, something like anti-Triomphe, for the color at least. In a nice pad. A nice, inexpensive pad.

Is it out there?

Thanks all!

Yes there is! Shop at http://www.papersource.com/--either online or in their retail store. Solid color stationery in all shapes and sizes, at pretty reasonable prices for the quality. And you don't need to buy hideously large quantities, as is the case with many other suppliers of good black papers (I've looked all over).

I have black stationery that I found at Michael's, but it isn't nearly as nice.

I keep Paper Sources's 4-Bar cards and envelopes in many colors for notes and letters. It is very FP-friendly.

But beware: you'll be tempted by many other things, too, when shopping there.

Edited by goodpens

I remember being able to walk into any drug store or Walmart style store and buying ordinary notebooks filled with black paper - metallic gel pens were all the rage about 12 years ago... anyway I just typed in 'black paper' and found this on Amazon, this is much like what I describe above, perhaps it will help... perhaps you might try a few sheets of the Neenah Astrobrights paper at a local office supply store

I still have some...along with the gel pens. Oughta take 'em out and get to it.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Moleskine makes a couple of notebooks with black pages. Here in the States, Halloween speciality items include nicer black papers for invitations and such but they are hardly stationery.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.