Substance In Ink And/or On Bottle

Morphling27

So, I recently got my VP as a nice gift from my wife and was going through the natural course of trying ink combos. I came across my Noodler's Liberty's Elysium (a recent purchase, maybe 6 months?). I hadn't used the ink much, only inked up 2 pens but one was a cheap preppy eye dropper so I never needed to refill it.

Anyway, I hadn't used the ink in a couple months, but I took the cap off and noticed black bits on the lip and some on the cap. I got a towel and wiped them away, thinking I'd way over-tightened the cap. I inspected the cap though and didn't see any stripped threading.

I looked more closely at everything and there were a lot of the little globs - I got some on my fingers and it's clearly something to do with the ink as it smeared blue all over my hand. The rim on the inside and the cap have a lot of this. Any clue on if this is bad? I've never had ink dry up on me like that and the bottle is still practically full. I didn't ink my pen, but in searching it doesn't seem like this is mold.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Morphling27

• Chrissy

• mike.jane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesn't sound good. Touch wood I haven't seen any ink that has suffered from any adverse reactions, but this sounds like it has a problem.

If it's that new and you have only used it a couple of times then I would contact Noodler's and ask what the problem might be

Did you shake the bottle (Put lid on first :) ) and see if the globs would dissolve again?

Edited by mike.jane

Pictures help...

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Sounds like a possible mold issue, but, as was stated earlier, pictures would greatly help in identifying the problem.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

I was not at home when I posted - I knew pictures would be required.

You can see a glob - it's obviously ink, but when I had some on my fingers last time, it was gooey. Also, it seems like glare, but on one of the bottom lips, you can see it's lighter colored - in person that ring looks like white calcium buildup you seen on a shower or something. I've looked at my other Noodler's and other brand inks - none display this. Some have a bit of dried ink, but no globs or discolored portions.

post-108901-0-38499200-1416890988_thumb.jpg

It's not necessarily mold...

See these images...

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140712_204155.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140712_203933.jpghttp://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140712_203951.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Those are from fade experiments - BTW, the color did not fade. Alas, I would NOT put those inks into a pen, but I did put them under a microscope. No signs of life. The dyes just bundle back together or form crystals. BTW, the Cartier is 70 years old the Pelikan was 30 years old.

If it is a new ink, see if you can get it replaced. Otherwise, repurpose it.

What I have been learning about Mold in inks....other than some known problems that were fixed ... check your house, your office, your water supply. If your inks are getting mold, you are probably getting mold into you too.

Thank you, I don't suspect it's mold in my house - more rare in Arizona and we don't have any mold issues, that I know of! Fingers crossed. I'm not going to put it in any pen - whatever the gunk is, would be seriously bad for a feed - the white buildup is very odd too. Oh well, would contacting Noodler's directly be better or Goulet's since it's their ink? I can easily write off the purchase, but it's a very pretty blue that I want to use.

It would have to be a pretty new bottle - Liberty's Elysium is only, at most, a few years old.

Talk to Goulet first.