New Website At Goulet's

Oldtimer

Wow, in defense of Goulet...I am sure they wanted something better for the holidays, and goodness knows who their webmasters were and what they demanded, too. I am willing to go with the flow here and not be too quick to condemn the Goulets. They are favorites of ours and have gone out of their way to make us happy every time.

1+

Has anyone checked out KEH's camera site lately? 90% empty space and to look for a specific item takes forever with constantly refreshing sub menus. Looks like this is the wave of the future for Internet shopping.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LamyOne

• KBeezie

• J85909266

• Ghost Plane

I find this thread disturbing.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I'd be curious for an elaboration of sort.

I've seen multiple suggestions that what happened to Goulet Pens is the Internet of the near future. I've also seen posts saying that they are dumbing down these sites to make them more attractive to idiots who see lots of words, get frustrated and find a pretty site with more pictures and blank space.

This thread disturbs me in the same way that the movie Idiocracy disturbed me.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

The quality of mercy is not strain'd,

It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven

Upon the place beneath: it is twice blest;

It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:

'Tis mightiest in the mightiest: it becomes

The throned monarch better than his crown;

His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,

The attribute to awe and majesty,

Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;

But mercy is above this sceptred sway;

It is enthroned in the hearts of kings,

It is an attribute to God himself;

And earthly power doth then show likest God's

When mercy seasons justice.

I wish the Goulet's a Happy Thanksgiving and I look forward to purchasing from them in the years to come.

- David Dornblaser

Edited by dornblaser

Did anyone else receive an e-mail that you have been removed from the newsletter distribution list? I don't remember unsubscribing.

Yes, I was unsubscribed from the newsletter several times after trying to place an order. I reported it to the Rachel, but she may want to know it is happening to someone else. I plan to be patient and let them work things out. Give them a break!

You aren't crazy. Virtually everything that I loved about the site is gone. Apparently, it's to make the site more attractive and easier to navigate for more simple folks.

- Joe

Am I going crazy or did the site lose the ability to sort by popularity? That was a feature that made for interesting perusing.

If they did drop that feature, I wouldn't be surprised! I remember Rachel saying once that the popularity data had to be manually inputted, which is a huge pain. Hopefully they find a way to bring it back in an automatically updating kind of way.

They have been dropping products and features and then adding them back. A sort by "anything" feature is easy to add anytime assuming they are running a commercial grade database.

Rest assured they're working on it - and rest assured they know it's a huge buying time. Coding with Flash and CSS is hard enough - then you bring in the commerce modules and it's beyond my coding experience. I was able to pick up a couple of nibs and grease on my desktop and the site was fine. For those looking for a 'package' that was missing you may want to give them a call and I'm sure they'd set that up.

The new site reminds me a bit of Jetpens. The loading times could be reduced somewhat by a much smaller image in the flash module on the opening pages. As Brian stated they are now using 'their trust commerce' that customers have. It was an excellent comparison. They helped us in the past with our hobby - time to help them a bit.

Good thread. I am less upset now. I sorted inks by popularity probably daily. I know, I need to take up bowling. Thank you everyone for the perspective.

I hate the new site. I don't need or want to buy anything right now, which is a good thing. But if it ain't broke...

Oh, well, one can't stand in the way of "progress."

I know they did a lot of work on the new website and I really wanted to like it but I don't. The old version was so much easier to navigate and made the buying experience simple and to the point. The new version is pretty but it isn't as easy for me to use. At the end of the day, I'll still buy from them though.

Edited by Abner C. Kemp

I have always been a loyal customer of theirs since the early days. That will never change. I know they're having problems and Rachel in particular has to deal with them, and both of them are doing their best to keep on top of the situation. For what it's worth, I got a Lamy 2000 from them last week and had no problems.

But like many here, I don't like the new site. Maybe it was necessary to change, but it seems to me that some extra code could bring back the ease of navigation that's completely gone now. I hate that you have to search via filters and checking boxes, and you can't just zip to what you wanted through menus like the old site. The organization was better on the old site, too. As was the general browsing experience.

Maybe that'll change in the coming days or weeks, but it just seems to me like they added pretty pictures, a few more search tools and took away everything else that made the former site a breeze to use.

But I guess there's a lot going on behind the scenes that we just don't know, both the reasons for the move and what's coming as this new site is fully implemented? Don't know.

They have been dropping products and features and then adding them back. A sort by "anything" feature is easy to add anytime assuming they are running a commercial grade database.

Hello All,

I just re-visited the site a few minutes ago and I must say it is a lot easier to use and navigate then it was a few days ago. Perhaps there is hope for the Goulet site after all and all (or most) of the features we enjoyed will eventually come back home again. :D

I'm still not crazy about the "JetPens" format, but it is markedly improved over what it was two or three days ago when I left in disgust.

Best regards,

Chris

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

Beta site should not substitute live production site. And anyway the previous site looked pretty good. The new one looks strange. They should reduce the prices than spend on unnecessary trappings of website decor

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

I know they did a lot of work on the new website and I really wanted to like it but I don't. The old version was so much easier to navigate and made the buying experience simple and to the point. The new version is pretty but it isn't as easy for me to use. At the end of the day, I'll still buy from them though.

This sums up my feelings exactly. I wish the Goulets the best but I don't like the site.