So Tell Us About Your Neponset

gbb

So, all you folks who were lucky enough to get a Neponset, tell us about it! Do you love it, hate it, what do you like or dislike about it? Curious minds want to know, surely youve had enough time to play with it. Thanks.

Otium cum dignitate, negotium sine periculo.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Limner

• tinysnail

• TeaHive

• gbb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm also interested to know as well :)

They all sold out so quickly, we need them reviews!

Thanx for starting this thread.

I had one and sold it for a bit more then I bought it for. The nib takes an absurd amount of pressure to flex and the feed doesn't keep up at all. When not flexed it is a quite nice and wet medium nib, and the Ebonite body is very nice. I can see the interest because of the novelty but it really isn't worth the 75$ price tag for me.

I bought two, actually, and have inked each three times now, so I can talk a little about my experience with them. Writing samples later when I'm back home.

Both look really great and well-finished, IMO, so I will focus mainly on the writing experience.

The first one (in Jade) was wonderful. Didn't need any adjustment at all, really. Very wet writer whether flexed or not and I only got railroading if I was doing heavy flex very quickly for awhile, which is not something I would expect any pen to keep up with. Very happy with this pen.

The second one, in one of the brown mottled ebonite colours... has been a lot more trouble. Both nibs flex well, but this feed has been a real pain. None of my little adjustments have helped much; the pen is still drier than the Jade one and railroads easily. I'm going to work on it a bunch tonight because I don't think getting it working nicely will be impossible.

Have 2. One of the greenish ones and the other a black one.

The Greenish one works noticably better than the Ahab or my Ebonite konrad, as far as flow and skipping, railroading, etc.

The black one was very much like my ahab/konrad experience (both of which now bear Goulet steel nibs). I have some vintage flex pens, which of course do better than them or the Neponset.

My Neponset black ebonite, has a meduim Goulet nib now. Feed works with it. Makes for a well behaved but nice and wet medium. The Greenish Neponset will be keeping its original nib. Needs to be aligned alot (which i understand is conmmon for any tree tine nibs), but it is kind of fun. I like ebonite :D

Edited by Moynihan

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

I have the red on and I have to say, this is the best Noodler's pen I have purchased. The nib writes very well. As someone said, it takes a bit of pressure to get it to flex, but it keeps up nicely. Needed no adjustment. Fountain Pen Hospital still has all but the Red in stock. The ebonite is very nice. The size is very nice, love it in fact. Great pen. You can see some railroading, but after pretty fast writing up from fine to very broad

post-46307-0-60696400-1416873703_thumb.jpg

I bought mine at Fountain Pen Hospital and have been using it for almost three weeks.

It has been untempermental so far. I have drawn with it from observation ( looking at something) as well as from invention. I have used Aurora black in it. I tried Iroshizuku kire same ( which i like in other pens) but didnt like it today in this neponsit. I was drawing on Moleskin watercolor paper fast from a model so maybe that combo wasnt the best. I have drawn almost all of my holiday card with this pen.

The nib is very good for drawing in dark theaters.

It is pleasant to write with as well. I like it far better than my Sailor music nib. My platinum music nib is different from the noodlers, and i suspect the two will perform different functions.

I have a black ebonite Neponset, and don't really like it. It railroads with even the slightest flexing, and so far I couldn't get it to work. Also it takes the strength of a gorilla to flex it. Kind smooth to write normally though. Not worth the price tag, in my opinion.

I got the rebellion red and the jade. Haven't had time to play around with them too much yet and get the ink flow the way I like but they are certainly beautiful looking pens.

So it seems that, like most other Noodler's pens, the quality control is abysmal.

Pity, I was looking forward to trying one of them out, but I'm not paying 80 bucks to play Russian roulette as to whether I'll get one that works or one that doesn't.

I just love how Jinhao's 2 dollar pens have better quality control and are more reliable than an 80 dollar Noodler's.

My Vintages:

Sheaffer Triumph, Saratoga, Targa Slim and Targa Standard; Waterman 3V and 52 1/2V; Mabie Todd Swan Self Filler x 2; Eagle Unbreakable in sterling silver; Eversharp Bantam; Parker Duofold Lucky Curve BCHR and Duofold in red hard rubber; Spors Co. glass nib pens x 4; Conklin 2NL and 20P.

So it seems that, like most other Noodler's pens, the quality control is abysmal.

seems like a bit of a small sample size to say that to me.

not that that is a defense the QC efforts of noodler's on their earlier pens.

Pity, I was looking forward to trying one of them out, but I'm not paying 80 bucks to play Russian roulette as to whether I'll get one that works or one that doesn't.

I just love how Jinhao's 2 dollar pens have better quality control and are more reliable than an 80 dollar Noodler's.

Depends on how you look at it. I'd rather buy three Neponsets I get to either love right way or tinker with (tinkering is fun as heck) than be given a free Jinhao. It is 100% fair that many people want perfect performance out of the box, but I think the point with a lot of Noodler's pens is that you get to learn how to adjust the pen to make it your own special brand of perfect.

Black neponset. Love it. Out if the box, had flow problems. Realigned nib and feed. Flow was good but something about the pressure fit caused the left tine to be off. Realigned again and now absolutely no issues with flow or nib. I enjoy the feel of the pen.

I agree with previous post: what I love about noodlers pens is the ability to mess with them. It makes me feel more a part of the process. There is a basic disfunction at the heart of fountain pens, more like living creatures that need to be taken care, things that need to be bathed, fed and played with regularly. I haven't enjoyed a pen this much since the ahab. Thing about the ahab though is how cheap it feels. Neponset does not feel cheap. Now I just need to buy shirts with bigger pockets so the pen doesn't look quite so ridiculous clipped.

Edited by benborgmeyer

The nib is very good for drawing in dark theaters.

Why is that? Does it glow in the dark? (in which case I`d want one after all!)

Why why why is it so difficult to simply copy any vintage ebonite feed???

Edited by Polanova

Why is that? Does it glow in the dark? (in which case I`d want one after all!)

Why why why is it so difficult to simply copy any vintage ebonite feed???

Since my observation on use was serious, I shall give the serious response.

When i draw in a dark or low light situation, i usually only use my vanishing point as i dont want to loose the cap and, it is difficult to know how you are putting the nib down to draw. I will use a sign pen or roller ball too.

When i tried the Neponsit during a performance, (and a Tedx talk) the largeness of the nib and tip made it easy to put down to draw - in a dark or low light situation.

It probably isnt as good as a roller or my platinum to use to work into wash areas, it works on Moleskin watercolor paper, but i dont use that for quick drawings of performers.

Depends on how you look at it. I'd rather buy three Neponsets I get to either love right way or tinker with (tinkering is fun as heck) than be given a free Jinhao. It is 100% fair that many people want perfect performance out of the box, but I think the point with a lot of Noodler's pens is that you get to learn how to adjust the pen to make it your own special brand of perfect.

Sorry, QC issues with a $15-20 pen are one thing. Yes, tweaking can be fun to a certain extent. QC problems with an $80 pen doesn't compute in my book, or rather in my checkbook. Especially if the nib/feed setup is the same as all of the earlier Noodler pens.

Over the years I have bought Creapers, Konrads, and Ahabs and had excellent results. I would have expected that by now the bugs in the manufacturing processes would have been really worked out.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”