Clogged Feed On A Vintage No-Name Pen

sobalamandra

Hi everyone,

I have started to play with pens a little while ago -- mostly, I have added new sacs and J bars to old Esterbrook and Welsh lever-filler. It was always very easily done.

But two days ago, I found my first challenge in a yard sale.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/b4/17/9a/b4179ae9d9d428be139f7c1d5b25f889.jpg

It is an anonymous plastic pen : no name to be seen anywhere. Here is the nib:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/ad/a5/59/ada559313666bafe1aaad060589cb153.jpg

The nib is a dream. I have dipped the pen and it writes beautifully.

But what I discovered when I opened it and removed the old fossilized sac is that the feed seems to be completely clogged. I wanted to flush the pen with a bulb syringe but there was no way to push the water through the feed. I have tried to let the section soak in tap water for a night. Nothing. Then I tried J. B.'s Perfect pen flush, no results either.

I have thought to remove the nib from the section, but the little effort I put on this task was in vain. I don't think nib and feed can be removed... And I don't want to risk breaking anything!

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/25/44/e8/2544e89e3bc0a20c7c90c8313b932c03.jpg

I have looked closely inside the section's nipple, and I seen a small hole where I guess water (and ink) should go fill the feed, and a longer, narrow space, but really, there is no way to push either water or air through the feed.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/c0/73/13/c073136968480e88b330222addac43ea.jpg

So... Any suggestions on how to make this pen work? :D

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sobalamandra

• OcalaFlGuy

• PDW

• KBeezie

Top Posters In This Topic

First things first nice find :)

The first thing you will want to do is see if you can pull out the nib and feed with your fingers.
Failing that you can look at creating a nib knock out punch like this http://www.mainstreetpens.com/articles/cheaptools_1.htm or you can buy one (but they are not cheap just as a heads up).
Once you have one you tap using a hammer and a small cylindrical punch until the nib and feed come out of the front section (Tapping from the top part that you labeled in your picture).

I've soaked sections for much more than two days, a week or more may be necessary. While I won't tell you to leave the nib in place I will suggest more soaking first. Using cool water and waiting is not quick but it does provide the lowest risk for misadventure. People much more experienced will be along soon, so please wait for a few more responses before proceeding.

BTW There is something about BCHR (black chased hard rubber) that sets the standard for real vintage pens. So many turn brown, yours looks to have good color. Even if the band is a little brassed it is a good looking pen.

Paul

Edit because I said something wrong. I would NOT use any water above room temperature. I have corrected my Tepid to COOL.

I WAS WRONG TO USE THAT WORD, AND APOLOGIZE.

As to a nib block, lots of care and patience when applying force. Many old parts are basically irreplaceable. The difference in just enough and too much is a parts pen.

Edited by kidde

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

Patience is key. Before I got myself an ultrasonic cleaner, I once spent about 5 days soaking the forward section of a Pilot Elite, changing out the water around once a day or so (usually with a little bit of diluted ammonia at the beginning and end). And removing a piece as possible before re-soaking the rest.

It wasn't until the 5th day that I was finally able to nudge the feed out of the section, and put it into it's own sample vial for further soaking (and even after 5 days of soaking you can see from the sample vial there was plenty of ink, most likely india ink or something that has gum arabic in it). The ultrasonic cleaner came later that day which helped quite a bit to break down the solid particulates, but you usually need the pen pen parts completely disassembled before you start throwing things into the ultrasonic.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/shares/takeda-ya/elite_diassembled.jpg

But yea. Severely clogged feeds/etc. A few days is nothing, I'd soak for a week if it meant a cleanly working pen, rather than trying to be impatient and end up ruining the pen with solvents of some kind.

PS: With Hard Rubber you may wish to stick with straight distilled water, I'm not sure the kind of reaction ammonia would have on it after several days of soaking. (I've done it with ebonite feeds just fine, but you're normally not looking at the feed if it discolors).

Edited by KBeezie

I am glad to know that a long soaking in water can help. I thought that maybe if there wasn't any results after two days, there was something more that I needed to do, but I prefer to stay on the safe side and see if water is enough for now.

If I don't have any results in a week, I will try to remove the feed from the section. Also: the nib knock out punch that C4bb0ose mentioned, is it sometimes necessary or can all feed be removed by gently pulling with my fingers? Are some feeds impossible to remove?

Thanks!

If the nib and feed are properly and firmly set, I'd save removing them to the last step.

Soaking

Flushing with a rubber bulb

Ultrasonic cleaner. Don't let the water get warm.

All of those involve basically 0 risk unlike removing feeds and nibs.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

If you fit a bulb syringe to the nipple it is possible to soak it "from the inside" and avoid any risk of discolouring the rubber, particularly if you are using any chemicals.

studyit006.jpg

Using a knockout block does involve some risk. But so does trying to pull the nib & feed out with your fingers, as the feed may break off if you pull too hard or apply any sideways force. Nice looking pen, worth taking some care with!

If you fit a bulb syringe to the nipple it is possible to soak it "from the inside" and avoid any risk of discolouring the rubber, particularly if you are using any chemicals.

studyit006.jpg

Using a knockout block does involve some risk. But so does trying to pull the nib & feed out with your fingers, as the feed may break off if you pull too hard or apply any sideways force. Nice looking pen, worth taking some care with!

I would use my bulb syringe if I could but the feed is too clogged: impossible to push or pull water through it!

SOAK with regular rinsing of the feed and change the water, probably for about a week.

In my case, the section+feed would go into the USC. I ran into a few such CLOGGED feeds, and the USC was the only thing that worked to blast out the dried ink.

But caution, if the ink is india ink, cleaning it will be MUCH more difficult and require a commercial pen cleaner to dissolve the india ink.

I would not knock out the feed until the feed is clear. The problem is, dried ink can cement the feed to the section. Soaking or the USC will help to dissolve some of the ink cementing the feed to the section.

gud luk

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

SOAK with regular rinsing of the feed and change the water, probably for about a week.

In my case, the section+feed would go into the USC. I ran into a few such CLOGGED feeds, and the USC was the only thing that worked to blast out the dried ink.

But caution, if the ink is india ink, cleaning it will be MUCH more difficult and require a commercial pen cleaner to dissolve the india ink.

What if the water never changes color -- like if the ink never dissolves? The section has been in tap water for two days now and the water is still crystal clear...

And if my problem is caused by india ink, would you recommend an ultrasonic cleaner or a pen cleaner like Koh-I-Noor Rapido-Eze? I have read somewhere that this would work for a clogged nib, but I want to be sure it is safe...

I wish water alone could do the trick, and I'm willing to wait much longer, but so far, I see no improvement!

What if the water never changes color -- like if the ink never dissolves? The section has been in tap water for two days now and the water is still crystal clear...

And if my problem is caused by india ink, would you recommend an ultrasonic cleaner or a pen cleaner like Koh-I-Noor Rapido-Eze? I have read somewhere that this would work for a clogged nib, but I want to be sure it is safe...

I wish water alone could do the trick, and I'm willing to wait much longer, but so far, I see no improvement!

It's at those times you may want to consider an ultrasonic cleaner, can get them anywhere from $10 and up. I paid $40 for my Ivation with 3 power settings and 5 timer settings ,and a large enough tray to fit a CD/DVD into (comes with a holder for one, but can't think of a time I ever wanted to use a USC on my dvd).

Since the USC will break down the solid content, but can't reach where the water can't reach but can work it's way in.

It could be India ink or something else that has gum arabic or similar in it, which may be hardened to such a degree that it's not being dissolved by the water.

Edited by KBeezie

If it's still blocked I'd put the cut-off open part left when I trimmed a sac over the nipple to make a tube leading to the back of the section, then drop pen cleaner (Rapido-Eze or similar) into the hole - this puts the cleaner where it's needed, on the inside of the pen. This will at least soften the remaining gunk, but you may need to alternate this with soaking and blowing through with the bulb to get the rubbish out.

Someone on FPN once referred to this as the 'cofferdam' method. :)

Edited by PDW

I had a Parker feed once that had some kind of hard residue in it, maybe shellac? Even with an ultrasonic bath, it wouldn't budge, so I had to mechanically dig the stuff out with the end of a guitar string.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I had a Parker feed once that had some kind of hard residue in it, maybe shellac? Even with an ultrasonic bath, it wouldn't budge, so I had to mechanically dig the stuff out with the end of a guitar string.

I'm curious : how do you dig anything out with a guitar string? (And why a guitar string? Is it just something that you happened to have in the house or is it notoriously used for clogged feeds? ;) )

Since it's been more than 4 days and I still have no results with my feed, I have decided to buy an ultrasonic cleaner. I'll see what I can do with that! (But I will need instructions on how to use that thing... please?)

And I might be tempted to buy a bottle of Rapido-Eze and try the above mentioned cofferdam method if nothing else works. I really want to use that pen, you know...!

Edited by sobalamandra

I'd get the Rapido-Eze the next time you think about it. You'll need it sooner or later. 'Tis better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Yes on the guitar string. It's the smallest in diameter, firmest, flexible enough, cheapest thing to Roto-root nib channels out with.

If you have a friendly local jeweler or pawn shop, you can take a fast food cup (I like Wendy's Frosty plastic glasses) 1/2 full of your cleaning solution and your section and have them put that in their sonicator. (Don't use Styro cups) Your cup will keep your solution out of theirs and the sound will go through very thin plastic.

If it makes you feel Any better, you have yet to begin to soak. The Man 100/200 nib sections have notoriously complex feed channeling. There are reports of some of them soaking for A Month before they cleared. Mine took about 2 weeks.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

At this point, I would start with a USC with a 10% ammonia/water solution.

If that does not work then use a commercial pen cleaner with the USC.

Be careful of the temperature of the solution. Warm/hot water can cause the black hard rubber section to turn brown. So keep the solution cool.

Knocking the feed out is a last resort method. The reason is, when you knock the feed out, you could damage the section, feed and/or the nib.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

If it makes you feel Any better, you have yet to begin to soak. The Man 100/200 nib sections have notoriously complex feed channeling. There are reports of some of them soaking for A Month before they cleared. Mine took about 2 weeks.

:o I thought I knew what people meant by their #1 advice -- "Be patient" -- but I see that I need to establish new patience standards!

Thank you all. I will try the ultrasonic cleaner very soon, and I'll also grab a bottle of Rapido-Eze in the next days. I expect to get some results before the end of the year :D