Why An Inner Cap At All For Esterbrook Pens?

spaceink

So I was looking to removed a broken jewel, and according to instructions I found here, I should first remove the inner cap.

Not wanting to spend a large sum on a proper inner cap removal tool, as I'm not a pro, I used a method using a 5/16 bolt to "thread" itself and then carefully pull out. It worked fine on the donor pen but on the other pen cap, the much more brittle pen cap simply disintegrated.

Oh no, I thought. But then I asked myself, why is this inner cap needed at all. In other pens, the inner cap helps to secure the section and barrel to the cap. With Esterbrook pens, I can screw in the barrel to the cap and it won't slide out, no inner cap apparently needed.

So, does this mean, I will not need to replace the inner cap then?

Edited by spaceink

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• spaceink

• FarmBoy

• pajaro

It's my understanding that the inner cap keeps the nib from drying out, or at least it retards the drying out of the nib. I suppose you can try using the pen without the inner cap. If the nib dries up too quickly, you will need a new inner cap. Good luck.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Too bad you didn't ask or do more searching before you started pulling.

There are tricks to maximize your success chances doing what you did.

Especially if I'm removing the damaged jewel, I wouldn't pull the inner cap to get the jewel off, I'd do it with a razor blade.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Doesn't the inner cap keep the nib from running into the top of the cap, or is that just for other brands and doesn't apply for Esterbooks?

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Use the inner cap from the jewel donor.

Best to soak the cap a bit before attempting a removal. Heat (lots of it on the inner cap) helps.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Ultrasonic and or soak, and Soak, and SOAK.

LOTS of ink ends up making it past the sides of the inner cap and all but Glues it in there.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

The inner cap is basically an inner plastic sleeve. It maybe reduces air volume by a bit but not all that much, so I am wondering that the function of it is, if the pen screws in, versus sliding in and needing a stopper. If I need to construct a makeshift one, perhaps will do something with silicone and electrical tape.

Ah, I did not see the razor blade advice when I researched, thanks. Will try with the donor's jewel cap. The jewel looks like it is so tight in there. I wonder how a thin razor blade can even nudge it out.

I am going to use the donor inner cap. Will definitely use heat if I need to do this again.

Edited by spaceink

Ah, I did not see the razor blade advice when I researched. Will try with the donor's jewel cap. The jewel looks like it is so tight in there. I wonder how a thin razor blade can even nudge it out.

Get bright light to work in.

A fresh single edged blade.

If you have any lighter fluid with Naptha in it, douse the jewel with it.

Get the blade under the edge and work it into the middle til it stops on the stem.

Only then lift an edge of the jewel a nanometer. Remove blade, reposition, repeat. So you don't stress the jewel in the same place lifting it. If you aren't careful you will chip the edge of the jewel.

Work your way around the jewel up a bit at a time.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Knock the jewel out from the back. Don't pry it up. I know where the pry it up theorem came from and I disagree. The jewels are brittle and you will break them. They knock out so easily with a long punch.

BUT...Before you go knocking them out, make sure they are not threaded in.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

The inner cap is basically an inner plastic sleeve. It maybe reduces air volume by a bit but not all that much, so I am wondering that the function of it is, if the pen screws in, versus sliding in and needing a stopper. If I need to construct a makeshift one, perhaps will do something with silicone and electrical tape.

Ah, I did not see the razor blade advice when I researched, thanks. Will try with the donor's jewel cap. The jewel looks like it is so tight in there. I wonder how a thin razor blade can even nudge it out.

I am going to use the donor inner cap. Will definitely use heat if I need to do this again.

It's still my understanding that the inner cap keeps the nib from drying out, or at least it retards the drying out of the nib. I suppose you can try using the pen without the inner cap. If the nib dries up too quickly, you will need a new inner cap. Good luck.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Without the inner cap you may well be able to screw the barrel in far enough to push the jewel out with the nib.

Also, the pen isn't sealed unless the inner cap is there.

I would agree the punch is The Correct way to do it.

But.

It is awkward to do. The point you are driving at is a couple three inches down in the barrel or cap. Your punch is narrow, less than 1/8" I'd say. Hopefully you have a bright light you're holding with your third hand. If you misstrike and hit the rivet for the jewel, which is Very Easy to do, you are likely screwed because you'll knock it loose. That then becomes a major repair.

If I were Farmboy, I'd use the punch.

But I'm not.

Lifting the jewel, with some Naptha as a lube, in a heat stream to lessen the brittleness, IMO, takes less chance of less severe damage than the punch For. The. Less. Experienced. repairperson. A major key is not lifting any one part of the jewel much each time, which would stress that area and make it more prone to crack.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I like the differing opinions. If one doesn't work, I'll try the other. Thanks. I am definitely not an experienced repairer, and so will tread very carefully.

This was the method that worked this time to remove the jewel. I lucked out, as the jewel got knocked from within the cap after about five not very hard taps on the thin screwdriver with a watchmaker's hammer.

Edited by spaceink

This is one of the unusual situations where you can actually fairly safely try Both methods for yourself.

If you're not going to use the donor cap/barrel after you harvest the jewel, pull the inner cap and whack away. You really have nothing to lose. If there's enough of the bad jewel you need to havest, try the blade method on that, if you chip the rest of the broken jewel off, you can still pull the inner cap and play whack-a-stem, no harm, no foul.

See how you do whacking, on the next barrel or cap, you should have a better idea at how good you are at it. If maybe, on the cap or barrel you're using (keeper), it would be better off to risk just the jewel and not the whole cap/barrel.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I prefer to punch them out, so far I've always had good luck. Just make sure to use a proper sized punch so it goes in straight and stays that way as you punch out the jewel.

John L

Wow, we need a video. Thanks all!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Holy Snowfall, Batman, I'm not sure I want to see that video.

I'm dreaming of a White Thanksgiving, running my snowblower down the walk.

It's a nightmare, as bad as the one where I kick several kraits off my legs.

Ah...don't you think the sound effects will make it all better?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY