Modern Montblanc 146 Nib Vs Modern Pelikan M805?

xwingrox

Can anyone give me a relative comparison of the modern Montblanc 146 fine nib with a modern Pelikan M805 fine nib? And maybe a comparison of both to a modern Pelikan M200 fine nib?

I just acquired a MB146 and it has a nail of a nib. Nothing unpleasant, just very stiff. I am considering a Pelikan M805 but don't know if the nib will be any less nail-like. I know that the vintage variants of these pens probably have more bouncy/semi-flex nibs but I want to stay with the modern variants because I like the color schemes (silver trim for both, blue stripes for the Pelikan).

What I find funny is that I really like the steel M200 nibs for their bounciness but I keep looking at the M805 for the size and girth.

Side note: I think my ideal pen would have the girth of a MB 146, the blue stripe and silver trim of the Pelikan M805, and the bouncy nib of a Pelikan M200...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• redisburning

• xwingrox

• max dog

Others will have more experience, but I believe the current Pelikan and Montblanc nibs are quite close. I share your appreciation for the steel nibs. I bought a pelican M415 with an extra fine gold nib but only to trade in the gold nib and replace it with steel. The steel, as you note, is a bit springy and it writes more true to what I consider to be an extra fine line.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I've never handled a MB. I do however have Pelikan M800 as well as a couple of M20x pens. I find all of the Pelikans very smooth, almost silky writers. On the other hand, all of mine are M nibs so may be different in feel etc from a F or XF; I would expect so.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

The modern M8xx Pelikans are nails.

My M800 is even more of a nail than my MB 146. Smooth, but without a doubt, a nail.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

The modern M8xx Pelikans are nails.

My M800 is even more of a nail than my MB 146. Smooth, but without a doubt, a nail.

Exactly my experience; the M800 gives the impression of pretty severe rigidity. Certainly more than the 146 though not as much as a TWSBI or Sailor.

You could try OMAS, Vicstonti, etc. or just grab a Pilot in the MB "tribute" shape, I think the 743?, with a soft medium. Or the 823. You know what, just get the 823 :)

I've tried them in a B&M, read what others say. A modern 800 is a nail.

I have a modern MB Woolf it is a springy nib....more tine bend than a true regular flex, less tine spread...ie @2 X a light down stroke than the 3 X a true regular flex can be mashed too.

I do prefer the true springy 200 nibs to my 605's semi-nail ie @ 2 X tine spread....similar to the modern 400's.

What you want is a '87-8 800. It has a delicious springy nib. :puddle: On my list to buy.

I have a nice springy '90's 400....pre'98 when they became fat, blobby semi-nails.Some of the seven 200 nibs I trans-mailed....2 were as good as my 120 nib that for years until I pushed my '90's 40 nib in challenge to the 200 nibs that were going through my hands I rated as even with my '90's 400. The 400 nib proved that tad better than the 120, matching the best of the 200 nibs.

One of the reasons I'm impressed with the 200's nibs.

Second choice for you is a '90-97 800....It should match my '90's 400 nib for being true springy regular flex...the 14 C/K nibs, only.

I keep saying true regular flex, in many companies now make semi-nail instead of true regular flex, because of the jackhammer ball point users. The reason why the nib is fat and blobby too....they refuse to learn how to hold a fountain pen like a fountain pen, holding it like a ball point.

Get a semi-vintage 800 and you will be happy. :thumbup:

A '70-80's 146 that I have has a nice springy regular flex nib. The two 50's a 234 1/2 Deluxe KOB is semi-flex, the rolled gold 742 is 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex.

I'd take a look at the '50-65 146, then a medium-long pen, for a great nib.

Why pay more money than they are wroth for new, when you can get better nibs in semi-vintage like the 800 or vintage like a '50-65 MB.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Can anyone give me a relative comparison of the modern Montblanc 146 fine nib with a modern Pelikan M805 fine nib? And maybe a comparison of both to a modern Pelikan M200 fine nib?

I just acquired a MB146 and it has a nail of a nib. Nothing unpleasant, just very stiff. I am considering a Pelikan M805 but don't know if the nib will be any less nail-like. I know that the vintage variants of these pens probably have more bouncy/semi-flex nibs but I want to stay with the modern variants because I like the color schemes (silver trim for both, blue stripes for the Pelikan).

What I find funny is that I really like the steel M200 nibs for their bounciness but I keep looking at the M805 for the size and girth.

Side note: I think my ideal pen would have the girth of a MB 146, the blue stripe and silver trim of the Pelikan M805, and the bouncy nib of a Pelikan M200...

If you want a flexible nib, I would suggest the Pelikan M1000. The huge nib provides some flex. Flexible nibs are very hard to find these days - I think only a few manufacturers offer pens with these types of nibs.

I'll go out on a limb, but the Pelikan M600 will have similar springiness as the M200. The M400 and M800 are both a little more rigid. It has to do with the shape of the nib. There was a good thread in the Pelikan forum comparing the shape of the M200/600/400/800 nibs, and it was state there the M200 was the springier nib and the M600 was the closest among the gold nibs.

Of course the M1000 though is the springiest I hear, though I've never tried the M1000 to give a first hand account.

No a 200's nib is more springy than a 600's semi-nail's nib.

I have a 400n's semi-flex B on my 605 and really like that pen now.

The 800 is a Large heavier pen; more back weighted like the 1000 due to brass piston parts. The 1000 is a gigantic pen....from the view of someone who grew up when standard sized pens like the 400/Esterbrook DJ, were normal.

The P-51 a medium-large pen....shocked me to find out in length, a thin Snorkel is a Large pen....just call it Long, in it is still light and nimble.....something Large pens normally are not. A Snorkel has great balance posted....it is not a clunky Large pen like a Safari.

Back in the day when some might use their fountain pen 8 hours a day, a pen had to be nimble and well balanced.

The 600 is a medium-large pen with a bit more girth than the same width as a standard sized 200/400 or same girthed medium-long 400nn. The 600 is still a 'light&nimble' pen. I find it comfortable posted. In fact, I like it a lot now it's got a good nib on it.

Every time I pick up my '70-80's 146, in spite of being light, strikes me as Large. I have both it and my 605 sitting on my desk being used as go to pens right now. It does help I have that great 400n's semi-flex B nib on the 605 that I use more.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks for the replies. I might just end up getting a M605 blue stripe body - because I actually like the M205 nibs better than the M605 nibs. And if the M805 isn't remotely springy like the M605 or even the M205, then why spend >$500 for one?

I have three 146's and four M800/805's: I don't really see much of a difference in terms of nib rigidity. Certainly, neither has the spring of a Pelikan M200. The weight distribution of the M800 probably would impact your writing more than the difference in nib rigidity--which is negligible in my samples. The M800's piston is more substantial--or at least heavier--than the Montblanc 146's. As a result, both pens have a decidedly different feel in the hand.

If you're looking for something approaching a springy nib, the Pilot Soft Fine nibs (#5, 10 of 15 sizes) would be noticeably different from the Montblanc 146.

Thanks for the replies. I might just end up getting a M605 blue stripe body - because I actually like the M205 nibs better than the M605 nibs. And if the M805 isn't remotely springy like the M605 or even the M205, then why spend >$500 for one?

because it's a larger and heavier pen.

the M600 is simply not large enough for me. So, it was the M800 or the M1000, and I decided the latter was too large since I wanted my Pels to be work pens and the 1000 wouldnt fit in my case.