$900 Snorkel W/ Music Nib?

ksh

"No name brand"? I suppose if you don't know the name...

I don't see the parallel at all.

--Daniel

What I meant is that as the two brands are not one of the major ones, they likely are less sought after and so *may* be less valuable to most, with regards to the MB, the 344 is a lower model and possibly more common than ones such as the 144 and 146, which were higher end and so should theoretically command a higher price, but I have seen a 146 flex MB 1950's model in near mint condition sell for about the same that the 344 did, but both were on eBay.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Omnias

• kirchh

• ksh

• KBeezie

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

copied the picture from the ebay listing,

so it may be visible even after ebay deleted them.

wonderful nib, especially as its a flexy Music nib.

fetched a high price, ended at 1340 Dollars - but I´d say yes, thats still reasonable...

Tom

post-5070-0-72586000-1416933461_thumb.jpg

Tom Westerich

See whats newly listed on PENBOARD.DE

email: twesterich@penboard.de

Abruzzo/Italy and Hamburg/Germany

copied the picture from the ebay listing,

so it may be visible even after ebay deleted them.

wonderful nib, especially as its a flexy Music nib.

fetched a high price, ended at 1340 Dollars - but I´d say yes, thats still reasonable...

Tom

Why everyone is saying it is Over Priced but you say it is reasonable? Or were you using sarcasm?

The pen was apparently bought by an 18 year old student , who posted on reddit that they worked at Best Buy and just started using credit cards for the first time: http://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/2ng90q/confession_i_am_the_guilty_one_that_paid_134120/

And calls the touchdown rod a "Piston Plunger".

Your reddit thing is bizzare. Even stranger than some of the pen forum posts.

The price realized on eBay is not reflective of what that pen would have realized at a pen show.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Ebay's motto should be, "Plus argentum, minus sensu".

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

A month or two at Goldman Sachs, who gives a damn about $1,300? If I added up just a fraction of the stuff I've accumulated because it seemed like a great deal, (only $75 for that nice Targa, just $150 for that good colored OS Balance, how can I pass that up?), stuff that I don't use & never look at, I could buy this pen many times over, and I'd be happier with it than with my bargains. While, if it was my kid, I wish he'd waited until he had serious money coming in, I'm glad he found something he's excited about. And glad that there are some young people interested in this pursuit, as I was thinking I'd never be able to sell my bargain Targas.

Why everyone is saying it is Over Priced but you say it is reasonable? Or were you using sarcasm?

OH NO, its because I LOVE Music nibs, and if its a unique nib like this one - on top of it, its a flexible Music nib... I fully understand the two guys, having a fight over this....

Tom Westerich

See whats newly listed on PENBOARD.DE

email: twesterich@penboard.de

Abruzzo/Italy and Hamburg/Germany

And calls the touchdown rod a "Piston Plunger".

Visually, the Touchdown Tube does look like a piston, it just performs in a completely different manner. It obviously doesn't even work like the plunger does in the Vac filler Twsbis, but since both create a vacuum, piston is a easy way to describe such a device.

fpn_1417021012__flex-snorkel.jpg

I think that question about flex in a metro was not serious. If real flex could be had in just a metro, it would probably kill a decent portion of the vintage pen market.

The poor guy who bought it feels bad because of this thread. That's so sad! I hope he enjoys it, no matter what he paid for it! I've definitely paid more for pens than other people think they are worth if i really want it (for whatever reason). I never feel bad about it afterwards!

Ultimately, everyone has a different line for where "that's worth it" lies. For me, $1300 is beyond it, but I have no moral objection to someone else thinking that it's worth it! Perhaps I've been spoiled since the music nib I got was only $262 and it was on a thicker model. <shrug>

the upshot? I hate that people think having an opinion on the personal value of an object automatically means sour grapes. I also hate that the person who got this pen feels bad because other people think it wasn't worth it. I hope the winner of the auction treasures his grail pen (which he says this was) and really enjoys it every time he uses it! And posts tons of pictures! :P

fpn_1417021012__flex-snorkel.jpg

I think that was more of a "Does a Metro have flex? No, it doesn't" sort of question.

Bad print is childish; Bad cursive is intelligent.

I think that question about flex in a metro was not serious. If real flex could be had in just a metro, it would probably kill a decent portion of the vintage pen market.

Probably not, Since if a Metro had Flex, it probably wouldn't be any better than a Noodler's Creeper flex, and that hasn't killed a portion of the vintage market (I think people buying vintage nibs and then springing them is killing that portion hehe).

Probably not, Since if a Metro had Flex, it probably wouldn't be any better than a Noodler's Creeper flex, and that hasn't killed a portion of the vintage market (I think people buying vintage nibs and then springing them is killing that portion hehe).

At least a sprung nib can be repaired if they do not throw it away in frustration, but it probably won't flex quite the same again. A Creeper is still semi-flex, not full flex, but at least it gets decent variation and has a low chance of being sprung. Admittidely, the question was not the best worded, so it is ambiguous.

Why are you guys criticizing and dissecting the buyer? You're coming off as pretentious snobs, and perhaps there's some envy in there too. All that matters is that it was worth that amount to him, and obviously it was worth nearly that amount to at least one other buyer as well. Value is completely subjective.

Edited by Betweenthelines

Ultimately, everyone has a different line for where "that's worth it" lies. For me, $1300 is beyond it, but I have no moral objection to someone else thinking that it's worth it! Perhaps I've been spoiled since the music nib I got was only $262 and it was on a thicker model. <shrug>

I agree - what gets me is the OP on reddit using scholarship money for it... Take less scholarship money (IE enough to cover tuition but not buy this pen) and let another kid get a leg up in school. A $1300 scholarship would be amazing for a lot of people

I agree - what gets me is the OP on reddit using scholarship money for it... Take less scholarship money (IE enough to cover tuition but not buy this pen) and let another kid get a leg up in school. A $1300 scholarship would be amazing for a lot of people

Dude. It's none of your business how people spend their money. And such an arbitrary judgment. Do you know how many noble causes your own fountain pen money could have gone to? People on this forum own thousands upon thousands of dollars in pens, and no one blinks an eye. All of sudden this guy pays a high price for a Snorkel and everyone's flipping their s***. All them are fancy pieces of plastic with a gold nib. And if you want to start judging him for it, you might as well judge everyone else. Sell all your pens and donate it to a charity if you feel like you need to right an injustice.

Way off topic here, but I'd like to provide some clarification for those who have not gone through the college financial aid experience. He is not using scholarship money to buy a pen. Not possible. Scholarship money goes directly from the school to the student's bill. You can't take the cash. And scholarship money and financial aid are two different animals. Kid can have a $ 2 million trust fund and get a scholarship -- because he's a great student, or a minority, or a great trumpet player, or from a farm town in Nebraska -- whatever makes the school think that it's worth offering a cash incentive to get the kid to come and improve the student body. Being on a scholarship tells you nothing about financial circumstances, and has zero to do with money going to someone more needy.