Poor Supply From Cartridges

Titus D

On my MB traveller I seem to get poor supply from the cartridge feed. I open the pen up,clear the cartridge with a cocktail stick and then no problem. I've flushed the pen through with water and turps then used a blower to make sure it's clear. Not a major problem but annoying none the less!

Did want to change out to a plunger but the traveller setup doesn't allow this.

Any ideas?

Don't believe the hype!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Titus D

• Dr.Grace

• Mike 59

• SujiCorp12345

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the problem persist even when using different ink cartridges?

Edited by Suji

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Yeah,it seems to. Tried diamine and am now using MB. See how it goes today after a thorough flush through and clean.

Don't believe the hype!

Does "turps" mean turpentine? If so, don't do that. Use a 10% ammonia solution or better yet a pen flush such as Rapido-Eze.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I read that too, I don't know what 'Turpentine' is, but I used it to clean oil based paint out of my brushes, so I would say it's 'greasy', it never evaporates away.

I believe its similar to White spirit too, another oil-based thinner, very greasy also.

For what it's worth, I clean my pens with water, cold or warm-ish, with one drop of washing up detergent, and if really needed some ammonia added to that.

In the UK it's not easy to find anyone who sells ammonia, sometimes Homebase has it in their 'basics' range.

One property of Ammonia is to remove (or break down) greasyness, so that would make sense.

Cheers for that. Think I've tracked some down and it's for sale on EBay so I will use that.

Much appreciated.

Don't believe the hype!

Organic solvents are harsh and can damage plastics. Not sure whether turpentine can leave residue, but if it can dissolve resin, that would certainly make a mess. FPN member farmboy is a chemist and could answer that definitively.

Rapido-Eze is miraculous. It's what I use all the time for getting rid of dried ink from pens. I'm sure it's available in the UK.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

As I remember, turpentine is oily and will likely plug the small ink channels.

So yes, you need to clean out all the turpentine.

Use a bulb syringe to force clean the feed MANY times.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks folks,much appreciated. Had a look for Rapido Eze but P&P is roughly £9-12!! which I object to. I did flush thoroughly after the turps and I did use a blower to clear it. All seems well now but I won't use it again. No effect on the resin either. (Wipes brow)

Don't believe the hype!