A Question About Removing A Pellet From A Vacumatic

Daddy-O

Hi all

I've finally got the tools together to start restoring my Vacs and have a question about getting the pellet out of the pellet pocket. I have a Dremel tool with a small burr but am wondering how to secure the pellet pocket while I remove the pellet. Do I just hold it in one hand and Dremel it with the other? This approach would require two steady hands and even steadier nerves.

Thanks

Mark

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daddy-O

• mark e

• adyf

• bsenn

Top Posters In This Topic

that, or put it in a vice...i usually just hand hold it, tho...and yeah, it can be unnerving

another trick worth trying is to heat the end of a good sized needle, stab the pellet with it, let it cool a bit, and pull it out...works sometimes

Thanks for the reply. I might give the needle trick a try first. The pellet is clearly visible and moves around in the pocket quite easily.

cheers

Mark

Hey, Mark E, the needle trick worked a treat. It slipped the first time but after I roughened the needle tip with a small file the pellet held and popped right out.

Thanks again

Mark

Hey, Mark E, the needle trick worked a treat. It slipped the first time but after I roughened the needle tip with a small file the pellet held and popped right out.

Thanks again

Mark

cool...sometimes it will pop out, sometimes not--i was just working on one earlier that wouldnt co-operate, and i had to keep dremel-ing--cause you dont want to stretch out that pocket hole by just ripping it out of there, or you've really got problems...as in, needing a new filler unit problems

sounds like a successful operation, dr daddy-o

Occasionally the pocket is very fragile, and falls apart, nothing you can do. Luckily you can get reproduction pellet pockets for something like $10. Much cheaper than an entire filler unit.

For anyone with access to a 3D printer, I have printed pockets and would be happy to share the file.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

I use a jig that constrains both the radial travel and depth of the bur to keep the pocket out of harm's way:

http://home.comcast.net/~kirchh/Pen_Restoration/Tool_Pictures/Parker_Vacumatic_Pellet_Burr_Guide_Beauty_Shot_1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~kirchh/Pen_Restoration/Tool_Pictures/Parker_Vacumatic_Pellet_Burr_Guide_Use.jpg

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

I use a jig that constrains both thge radial travel and depth of the bur to keep the pocket out of harm's way:

http://home.comcast.net/~kirchh/Pen_Restoration/Tool_Pictures/Parker_Vacumatic_Pellet_Burr_Guide_Beauty_Shot_1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~kirchh/Pen_Restoration/Tool_Pictures/Parker_Vacumatic_Pellet_Burr_Guide_Use.jpg

--Daniel

Nice improvisation Daniel.

I use a jig that constrains both the radial travel and depth of the bur to keep the pocket out of harm's way:

--Daniel

good grief, kirchh...as far as jig/tools go, that's about as cool and practical as it gets----nice job

Those are some really serious tools, guys. I've had success with two Vacs and so I tried my hand at a P51 parts pen. The needle trick didn't work as the pellet was made of lead. I eventually got it out but the language was colourful to say the least. Still, it pays not to get too cocky. Is the lead pellet genuine or was a previous restorer getting creative?

I use one of the smaller holes in in knock out block to secure the filler and free hand the dremel straight up in the air while resting it against the block...works pretty well

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

This approach would require two steady hands and even steadier nerves.

That's all I do, and have done, for over 25 years.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.