Parker Vs Waterman?

RyanM

Hey guys, I'm currently wondering what you think about two similarly priced brands, Waterman and Parker.

I own both a Waterman Hemisphere and a Parker IM Premium, both in the Fountain pen, and really, I can't seem much difference.

Some people tell me that Waterman are much better, whilst others prefer Parker.

I personally like the Parker pens better, but prefer the Waterman ink.

What do you guys think? Who makes better pens, Parker or Waterman?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tancred

• RMN

• The Blue Knight

• WetNoodle

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are owned by the same parent company and therefore have similar quality in their products. It doesn't surprise me that they have similar performance. IMO, neither brands' lineups particularly impress me and there are much better pens available at the price point that the IM and the Hemisphere are on. If I had to chose between the two, I'd probably go for the Waterman for the pure reason of aesthetics.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

AFAIK Sanford, the company that now owns both (AND Rotring plus some others...) decided to position Parker in the lower market and Waterman a bit higher. There was talk then that Waterman should compete with Montblanc...

At the moment the Waterman line is indeed a bit higher priced/luxury than the Parker line.

Personally I am a bit of a Waterman fan.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I don't own either model (though there are two Hemispheres and an IM Premium in the house as I am not the only pen enthusiast here). If I had to choose I would go for the Hemisphere. This is mainly because I dislike having to grip on metal as one does with the IM Premium. I like both Waterman and Parker FPs (well the older models, at least) but Waterman wins out for me on points. Personally I like a wider barrelled pen than the Hemisphere so am a great fan of the Waterman Phileas. But if I had to use a ball point or rollerball then it would be Parker before Waterman every time. Also agree with Blue Knight that the Parker Frontier (which is one of my more regular everyday pens is a good budget model.

I have pens from both companies.

A Waterman Phileas - no longer made and can be overpriced. It was a wonderful pen though.

Parker 45

Parker 45 Flighter (stainless steel version and upmarket from the standard 45)

Parker 51 Special

Parker IM Premium twin chiseled.

The IM is my least favorite of the bunch. The 45's tend to get the most use of the 5.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Hey guys, I'm currently wondering what you think about two similarly priced brands, Waterman and Parker.

I own both a Waterman Hemisphere and a Parker IM Premium, both in the Fountain pen, and really, I can't seem much difference.

Some people tell me that Waterman are much better, whilst others prefer Parker.

I personally like the Parker pens better, but prefer the Waterman ink.

What do you guys think? Who makes better pens, Parker or Waterman?

In terms of high end pens I would go for Waterman without hesitation. The quality, fit and finish is definitely better in modern luxury Waterman pens as opposed to the Parker ones. But you are looking for lower end models and for these I don't think the difference is great between them. Of the lower end pens I like the Parker Urban quite a bit more more than the IM, and on the Waterman side the Expert strikes me as a much nicer pen than the Hemisphere.

Edited by Tancred

I would go for Waterman without hesitation. The quality, fit and finish is definitely better in modern Waterman pens.

AFAIK Sanford, the company that now owns both (AND Rotring plus some others...) decided to position Parker in the lower market and Waterman a bit higher. There was talk then that Waterman should compete with Montblanc...

At the moment the Waterman line is indeed a bit higher priced/luxury than the Parker line.

Personally I am a bit of a Waterman fan.

D.ick

Sanford is just a branch of Newell Rubbermaid, the parent company. And I think there is little appetite to do much with either of these brands - I haven't seen a limited edition Waterman for several years, and the mega-expensive limited edition Duofolds seem targeted at Asian millionaires. Sad. I truly hope that these legendary brands get sold to a more visionary and creative parent company - Newell has been a disaster.

Sanford is just a branch of Newell Rubbermaid, the parent company. And I think there is little appetite to do much with either of these brands - I haven't seen a limited edition Waterman for several years, and the mega-expensive limited edition Duofolds seem targeted at Asian millionaires. Sad. I truly hope that these legendary brands get sold to a more visionary and creative parent company - Newell has been a disaster.

This.

-AJ

I am a Waterman fan and have been for most of my adult life, in spite of starting FP's with a Parker. I used to chase Watermans for a very long time but now have the idea that whatever feels right in the hand and performs well is the right pen. Marketting pitches aside both are strong brands with rich history that as someone earlier pointed have lost their vision - write with what makes you happy!

I have vintage pens from both companies – against each other Waterman wins every time except for the Parker 75.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I think the pens you mention are of similar quality. However, Waterman inks are a cut above the competition IMO.

Each company had it's successes. For Parker: The P75, but don't forget the P51 and the P45.... and several others.

Today it's different. I don't get excited at the current Parker set-up. Waterman has some good pens currently, some others are probably good, but not that exciting design-wise.

But in Ballpoints and Rollerballs Parker is huge, and Waterman almost nonexistent imho.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Each company had it's successes. For Parker: The P75, but don't forget the P51 and the P45.... and several others.

Today it's different. I don't get excited at the current Parker set-up. Waterman has some good pens currently, some others are probably good, but not that exciting design-wise.

But in Ballpoints and Rollerballs Parker is huge, and Waterman almost nonexistent imho.

D.ick

I hope they something interesting around the corner as it's in a few years (I think 4) since the last new Parker and a fair few more since the last Waterman. Ideally a Geoff Hollington Design. A replacement for the Sonnet and Premier perhaps?

Edited by The Blue Knight

I have a love affair with Parker Vacumatics. Their matching striated jewels make me feel some kind of way!!!

Waterman? Eh, too businessy. Stick to their inks. Allllthough there is the Carene!

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

-Fred Allen 1894-1956

i cant really speak about modern parkers and watermans but for vintage pens there are many more clear distinctions. i think the old hard rubber watermans in their time period cannot be beat. even up to the patricians and lady patricians they still made fantastic pens. but in my opinion parker really started making better pens than waterman from the vaccumatic on.