In Praise Of A Stealth Pen: Lamy 2000

Segel

I am presently in the hunt for a MB 149. Yesterday morning, I left my Lamy 2000 behind on the podium in a lecture hall where it lay for 30 hours until I went searching for it and found it sitting in open view where at least a thousand people had walked past and left it lay. Perhaps university students and professors are exceptionally honest, or perhaps the 2000 is simply the ultimate stealth pen, camouflaged -- at least to the untrained eye -- as a 50 cent mass-produced black felt tip. I could not help but imagine what would happen if a MB 149 were left laying about like this!

Edited by Segel

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Segel

• risingsun

• WaskiSquirrel

• SE1980

This is one of my favorite features of the Lamy 2000. It looks a lot like a few cheap felt-tip markers out there, unless you pay attention to it. A closer examination reveals great design, attractive proportions, a nice material, and, of course, that wonderful nib.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

The Lamy 2000 is my only FP and I absolutely love it! That's a great statement about this unique pen! :D

Edited by SE1980

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

The LAMY often remains in it's place until one day I get curious why I'm not writing with it. Without any hesitation it picks up and begins to deliver pure joy! I'll lay the pen back in its home very satisfied only to glance over it the very next day, and the next day becomes a few weeks when I am turned on again by the weight, feel, and writing experience.

It's like the gift of luxury I give myself over and over again. Entirely unexpected yet I know it's there...

I've only had mine since Friday. Wow! I love it! I bought the Stainless Steel version and used it at work all day today (Monday), I didn't find th eweight a problem and as for the nib... Fantastic. I've ordered the Black Makrolon one now.

I've got the Stainless version too but for whatever reason I can never enjoy a 2k nib when put side by side with the gold nib on my Accent.

You are a very fortunate person!

I'd be curious to know whether that is a reliable feature of the 2000 (but not curious enough to test by leaving my own version in a similar position).

Holy mackerel! :thumbup:

The Pen goddess was watching you back, that is for sure.

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

Yesterday, I left my 2000 on the podium again where it again sat for thirty hours until I retrieved it. Unbelievable. I now know how this happens and will develop some sort of compensatory routine, but I am certain that the only reason I still have this pen is its stealthy appearance.

So you had this experience before?

I love this pen. It looks like a cheap black-plastic felt-tip until you look at it more closely. Then it's clear how nice the design is.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Yes, Waski, I have done this twice in a month. The location is a four hundred seat auditorium and students sort of mob the podium with questions while I am packing up. Meanwhile the next prof is trying to set up and In my rush to clear out to get to my next class I left my pen behind. Perhaps if the Lamy were shiny and colorful it would catch my eye as I make the last sweep before walking away, but then it would catch the eye of others and would probably be gone before I returned.

Holy mackerel! :thumbup:

The Pen goddess was watching you back, that is for sure.

better Holy makrolon!

"Change what you cannot accept, do not accept what you can't change" C$C

Yes, Waski, I have done this twice in a month. The location is a four hundred seat auditorium and students sort of mob the podium with questions while I am packing up. Meanwhile the next prof is trying to set up and In my rush to clear out to get to my next class I left my pen behind. Perhaps if the Lamy were shiny and colorful it would catch my eye as I make the last sweep before walking away, but then it would catch the eye of others and would probably be gone before I returned.

I think you are pushing your luck. The impression I get from your posts is that this has become a game for you. I never thought about the 2000 as a camouflaged pen, but rather as a very upbeat expression of the streamlined style of the mid century twentieth century. A thing of modern beauty, without the old hackneyed styling of the Meisterstuck and other baroque pens. Better watch out for that pen, lest someone who likes that styling happens upon it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I think you are pushing your luck. The impression I get from your posts is that this has become a game for you. I never thought about the 2000 as a camouflaged pen, but rather as a very upbeat expression of the streamlined style of the mid century twentieth century. A thing of modern beauty, without the old hackneyed styling of the Meisterstuck and other baroque pens. Better watch out for that pen, lest someone who likes that styling happens upon it.

I did not intend to convey the impression that misplacing the 2000 or any other valued work tool Is a game. Disorienting, frustrating, or even embarrassing but not fun. I have lost pens (permanently) in the past and know that it is just a matter of time before it happens again. But, my work involves so much writing and it is worth the risk of loss to carry along quality pens.

I like your description of the MB 149 as baroque. I acquired one last week and though I like it, It seems too flash for my work setting and I will continue to carry functional, understated Lamys.