What Ink Should I Purchase Next? Iroshizuku Vs Organics Studio

SkylarKnight

Hi everyone :) Been a while since I posted.

I have been looking on e-bay, and decided to purchase myself a new ink. Yeah, I have a bunch of samples and also a few full size inks from the SuSeMaI testing, but I wanna try a different ink.

I've been thinking of either going for Irushizuku - I was told the shading and sheen are beautiful, or Organics Studio Elements series, just because it's super cool!

What do you guys think? And any colours to reccomend? I will take any colour but black! (Black's a bit boring for me after using it for the past 4~ish years in gel pens).

Also, there was this ink sold on the brand's website that seems to be very loved here.. I think the purple is favorable? Not sure. Anyone can help me recall? The name's on the edge of my tongue, but I just can't tell what it is! All I know is that the ink seems to not always arrive in perfect condition, and that I believe the red is one of the ones people dislike. Also, the purple seems to have sheen?

I hope I can recall.

Have a good day, everyone!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png
Hey! I'm Skylar! I am quite new to all of this, but am a very friendly person :3
If you wanna exchange snail-mail, my 'about me' in on page 51 on the snail mail list, and if you like what you see - pm me!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkylarKnight

• AlejoPlay

• inkstainedruth

• SujiCorp12345

I would choose Pilot Iroshizuku.

Lovely inks made by a company that has been in business forever.

I would suggest Fuyu-syogun for a good cool gray ink and Yama-budo for an in-your-face grape purple.

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Between the two, I would go with Irushizuku, as all of Organics Studio inks are discontinued/on-hiatus so if you like it you will not find it as easy to replace.

Granted, if the OS is on closeout pricing then it might make sense to get it because it is cheap.

I'd go for Iroshizuku as well. Huge fan of Ama-iro, Kon-peki, Yama-budo and Shin-ryoko

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

The Iroshihzuku inks are fairly pricy. And my experiences with them have not always been as positive as what some people will tell you. But I absolutely *love* Yama-budo. I also like Yama-guri a whole lot.

Mind you, my experiences with the Organics Studio inks were also not wholly positive, either. Sadly, the one I liked the best, Blue Merle, seemed to be one of the first ones to disappear off shelves.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I vote Iroshiazuku based on my experience. I love the Asa-Gao personally. The ink is a little pricey, but I'm willing to pay for it.

I have no experience personally with the Organics Studio inks, but I've heard horror stories about mold and other issues. Also, as was mentioned, it's on hiatus indefinitely.

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

The Iroshihzuku inks are fairly pricy. And my experiences with them have not always been as positive as what some people will tell you. But I absolutely *love* Yama-budo. I also like Yama-guri a whole lot.

Mind you, my experiences with the Organics Studio inks were also not wholly positive, either. Sadly, the one I liked the best, Blue Merle, seemed to be one of the first ones to disappear off shelves.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Yup, I wanted to get some Blue Merle but ended up with Nitrogen, Arsenic and Walt Whitman. The WW has swiftly become one of my favorites - along with Yama-guri. Of course, when the Whitman is gone I'll have to settle for somrthing close but the hunt will be fun!

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

Like others, I would suggest avoiding the Organics Studio because they are going to be unavailable, and if you find something you love, you'll be stuck.

Pilot is pretty stablem and Iroshizuku seems to be a regular product, not a limited edition.

Of course, anything can change, but that's what I'd suggest right now.

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Iroshizuku Yama budo is a wonderful magenta with great behavior You might try it. It can be had on Ebay new for about $20 US

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/postcard-mini.png http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

I haven't tried from either but might go os just because they are going away and might be my only chance. If I didn't have to overpay.
But I am a Pelikan 4001 blue black fan and it is no longer available in the USA. I want more I have to go to the UK.
Biggest downside for you will be cost. Those fancy bottles are probably heavy.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I would say go for the color you like. Organics Studio had some amazing colors, but I am not sure how well their behavior is. You probably will be served a better quality ink with Iroshizuku, but if you can get a better price for Organics Studio you might end up with some color you prefer and decent behavior at least.

Thanks everyone! I think I will go with Iroshizuku. Now to find an interesting colour!

As for the ink I am looking for (brand wise), could someone recorgnise from this picture? This is the only picture I found in Amber's album of the ink, and it's very blurry...

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Potions_Cabinet/slides/2013-08-08_ink_17.jpg

Purple and red inks on the left.

And if anyone knows the one on the right (diamond shapen inkwell), I'll be thankful :D

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png
Hey! I'm Skylar! I am quite new to all of this, but am a very friendly person :3
If you wanna exchange snail-mail, my 'about me' in on page 51 on the snail mail list, and if you like what you see - pm me!

I guess school and ink suddenly didn't mix so well. Organics Studio inks were unique in that they reminded me of the "old school" inks I grew up with in the 60s and 70s.

There are probably some still around. I know that he had a huge batch up for sale on his facebook page, so chances are there will be bottles available on Ebay, may still be a few left on Amazon.

Just because he's shutting down shop is no reason to avoid them, they suddenly didn't become radioactive. I would buy some and enjoy them and when they are gone, enjoy the fond memories.

-Bruce

Edited by FLZapped

What is your budget like? I ask this as that 1st ink is 35.00 a bottle in most places, vs 12-16 for the Organic's. I have them both and like them both! So to me it comes down to your budget, then what color you like.......

I like some iro inks, and I have yet to try out organics studio. Have you looked into sailor inks? They have a couple purples like Sailor Nioi-Sumire which are beautiful, have a nice deeper shading, decent sheen, and a bit of water resistance.

I would go for the Organics as they are going on hiatus. At this point they've become de facto limited editions without it being planned. As someone noted the Blue Merle was one of the first to be snatched up. I personally liked it for its vintage look but only bought one bottle. The Iros are going to be around for quite a while and you'll be able to catch up with them after going through your Organics. Both inks have their supporters and detractors for various qualities of each ink. I see you've already decided on the Iros. Organics have a different look and feel about them and are quite pleasant to write with with an understated look. I constantly read the Ink Review Forum on FPN to see what in direction I want to travel.

Good luck on your ink journey

Thanks everyone! I think I will go with Iroshizuku. Now to find an interesting colour!

As for the ink I am looking for (brand wise), could someone recorgnise from this picture? This is the only picture I found in Amber's album of the ink, and it's very blurry...

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Potions_Cabinet/slides/2013-08-08_ink_17.jpg

Purple and red inks on the left.

And if anyone knows the one on the right (diamond shapen inkwell), I'll be thankful :D

The far right is a crystal perfume bottle with Penman Ruby. Beautiful ink, but Red Cashmere is better.

The two matching bottles are from Nostalgic Impressions and they should be avoided. See the reviews. The red was HORRID ink and will never be in one of my pens ever again. The purple has AMAZING sheen, but STAINS everything! It also clogs pens.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY