M800 Leaking Between Section & Barrel.

guitarman19853

I have a Red M800 that I bought new in 2008 that has a leak from between the section and barrel. Very much like this post: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/178133-pelikan-140-micro-leak/

The repair news from Pelikan is bad. It's very expensive and I can't even keep the red/black barrel that I love so much. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

I regret to inform you that we do not have any M800 BLACK/RED barrels here in stock, however I am trying to ascertain if there are any available from Pelikan in Germany, or if the BLACK/RED barrels have been discontinued and no longer available. The BLACK/RED pens seem to be slowly discountinued ………..

We do have these other M800 barrel colors available, if you are interested, the MSRP is $ 203.50 for the whole barrel (from a retailer, and prices vary).

Purchasing a new barrel from your PELIKAN retailer is the fastest replacement method.

999201 BLACK

999219 BLACK/GREEN

999227 BLACK/BLUE

If you would like to send the pen to Chartpak, our estimated turn around time is up to six/eight weeks. I will email our SERVICE FORM separately.

Our discounted price to replace barrel after pen arrives here (NO black/red barrel) is $ 101.75.

Our flat fee due/service charge is $ 35.00. Estimate total is $ 136.75.

http://www.ryan-white.net/FPNSIG.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Bo Bo Olson

• Forsooth

• marlinspike

I have a Red M800 that I bought new in 2008 that has a leak from between the section and barrel. Very much like this post: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/178133-pelikan-140-micro-leak/

The repair news from Pelikan is bad. It's very expensive and I can't even keep the red/black barrel that I love so much. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

I regret to inform you that we do not have any M800 BLACK/RED barrels here in stock, however I am trying to ascertain if there are any available from Pelikan in Germany, or if the BLACK/RED barrels have been discontinued and no longer available. The BLACK/RED pens seem to be slowly discountinued ………..

We do have these other M800 barrel colors available, if you are interested, the MSRP is $ 203.50 for the whole barrel (from a retailer, and prices vary).

Purchasing a new barrel from your PELIKAN retailer is the fastest replacement method.

999201 BLACK

999219 BLACK/GREEN

999227 BLACK/BLUE

If you would like to send the pen to Chartpak, our estimated turn around time is up to six/eight weeks. I will email our SERVICE FORM separately.

Our discounted price to replace barrel after pen arrives here (NO black/red barrel) is $ 101.75.

Our flat fee due/service charge is $ 35.00. Estimate total is $ 136.75.

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your pen, but this issue is not uncommon on the Pelikan, unfortunately. I have had good success with the Germany service centre and the service has been free of charge, not the fantastic amount that the US distributor wants to charge you. You may read about it here.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your pen, but this issue is not uncommon on the Pelikan, unfortunately. I have had good success with the Germany service centre and the service has been free of charge, not the fantastic amount that the US distributor wants to charge you. You may read about it here.

Yeah I saw your thread and even asked my contact at Pelikan US about sending it to germany. Unfortunately Pelikan no longer honors anything outside the strict 3 year warranty.

I literally just got this in an email from them:

We used to extend the three year warranty and we used to repair/replace parts here at no charge. This all changed in Sept. 2013 and now we strictly follow the warranty terms outlined in each warranty booklet. The pens carry a three year warranty against manufacturing defects.

If your pen purchased within the past three years time, please let me know, and provide date of purchase and place of purchase. Thank you.

I never had anything but high praise for Pelikan in the past. This immediately soured my view of them and I'll never purchase another.

Edit: I bought mine in 2008 so I'm nowhere near the 3 years.

Edited by guitarman19853
http://www.ryan-white.net/FPNSIG.jpg

Yeah I saw your thread and even asked my contact at Pelikan US about sending it to germany. Unfortunately Pelikan no longer honors anything outside the strict 3 year warranty.

We used to extend the three year warranty and we used to repair/replace parts here at no charge. This all changed in Sept. 2013 and now we strictly follow the warranty terms outlined in each warranty booklet. The pens carry a three year warranty against manufacturing defects.

If your pen purchased within the past three years time, please let me know, and provide date of purchase and place of purchase. Thank you.

I never had anything but high praise for Pelikan in the past. This immediately soured my view of them and I'll never purchase another.

Edit: I bought mine in 2008 so I'm nowhere near the 3 years.

Thanks for sharing this information, would keep in mind!

The black section is sitting on an extension of the barrel inner tube and it probably cracked. Once I bought a pen with a section cracked off and I was able to weld it together with MEK and it holds perfectly after years.

In your case you have a leak but the section is still attached. You need to contact a skilled repairer. I would contact somebody like our member Fountainbel and see what he tells you. The question is if the repair would be cheaper than the new barrel. Also it seems that you have difficulties getting a new red barrel.

Also, keep an eye on eBay. I managed to buy a Pelikan M800 for $180 once, cheaper than what they want for just the barrel.

" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

Yes, this is what I figured was now the policy as based upon recent posts by people using this service.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I thought it was interesting to note: Chartpak is now charging 215 for this same barrel. If only my M800 had broken 3 years ago. $101 I could see, but going up to $215 less than 4 years later seems a bit much.

What would cause something like this? Basic age? Screwing the cap on too tightly and causing torque at that joint?

I'm building a Pelikan collection (new pens) and it's a little unsettling.

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

It is my understanding Pelikan Hanover will fix it for free, even if out of warranty..

Helps to read what was written before......

If your pen purchased within the past three years time, please let me know, and provide date of purchase and place of purchase. Thank you. :( :crybaby: :wallbash:

Lamy is still repair for free......sigh....I have a Persona and a Joy so am good to go with Lamy.

You could ask them the cost of repair (Hanover might be cheaper than Charpack)............the price of MB repairs comes in levels, and the first two levels were much cheaper than I expected.....E60 & E80. Someone I know had a 144 with problems so I asked MB.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What would cause something like this? Basic age? Screwing the cap on too tightly and causing torque at that joint?

I'm building a Pelikan collection (new pens) and it's a little unsettling.

A good question. In my instance I took the pen out of my shirt pocket one day and when I did so it fell apart in my hand. Maybe even more unsettling is that not only is Chartpak not covering the same problem it used to cover when the same pens were much less expensive, but the representative also said they would void the warranty if you use an ink other than Pelikan.

A good question. In my instance I took the pen out of my shirt pocket one day and when I did so it fell apart in my hand. Maybe even more unsettling is that not only is Chartpak not covering the same problem it used to cover when the same pens were much less expensive, but the representative also said they would void the warranty if you use an ink other than Pelikan.

Unacceptable for such an expensive pen. At least TWSBI stands behind their products..

I would contact Ron Zorn, Main Street Pens. He has repaired similar problems for forum members with good results:

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/

I heartily second that suggestion.

The section actually came off one of my M800s and his posted advice on fixing the problem was excellent.

In this case you need to get the section off first to assess the problem and it could be something quite simple to repair.

The pen's worth saving if at all possible... the red is beautiful and it's rather scarce now, selling for a significant premium if you can even find one.

Glenn.

Edited by Eccles

It is my understanding Pelikan Hanover will fix it for free, even if out of warranty..

Thats correct. My out of warranty M800 blue with section separated from barrel was repaired FOC by them this September-October. Barrel replaced with new.

IMO, some Pelikan representatives outside Germany are letting them down.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I added stuff to my previous post.....ask Hanover cost of repair.....MB was cheaper than expected.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I added stuff to my previous post.....ask Hanover cost of repair.....MB was cheaper than expected.

Hannover did the repair free of cost this September-October. This is first hand experience. Take it for what it is worth. Edited by hari317

Helps to read what was written before......

If your pen purchased within the past three years time, please let me know, and provide date of purchase and place of purchase. Thank you. :( :crybaby: :wallbash:

Lamy is still repair for free......sigh....I have a Persona and a Joy so am good to go with Lamy.

You could ask them the cost of repair (Hanover might be cheaper than Charpack)............the price of MB repairs comes in levels, and the first two levels were much cheaper than I expected.....E60 & E80. Someone I know had a 144 with problems so I asked MB.

Lamy no longer services personas. They dont have the parts. I have a written regret letter from them which they enclosed with my persona sent to them (Heidelberg) Edited by hari317