What Are Your Thoughts About The Delta Fusion Nib?

ChrisPaul

Hi Everyone,

I'm tempted to buy Deltas with the Fusion nib because they're reasonably priced (i.e., within my budget). But I've seen mixed reviews of the nib. It seems gimmicky to me, but does anyone have some experiences, pro or con, with the Fusion?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Best Wishes,

Chris

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FriendAmos

• PatientType

• Barnaby Bumble

• freeboy

I bought one, and like it. The nib writes well and it looks nice. Not sure that the gimmick of gold on steel does anything but that's not why I bought it at any rate. I got the Fusion 82 in blue and it is a beautiful pen. I am a little concerned about the reports of the gold piece falling off but I haven't experienced that with mine.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have a Stub and it is one of the smoothest nibs I have.

It always puts down a smooth, wet line.

I will admit that the Gold piece came off but thanks to

Bryant Greer (Pentime) and Yafa, the nib was replaced.

Even with that situation, I would recommend the nib.

Love mine. Happy to report that mine writes just as well after its overlay reattachment procedure as it did before...

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

I also have a blue Fusion 82. Mine is a Fine. It writes like a lovely, smooth steel nib... because it is a lovely, smooth steel nib. Deltas claims that the gold performs some sort of alchemy or witchcraft on the ink are nonsense, but the gold does look pretty. No issues with the gold overlay falling off mine (so far). Knowing that it's happened to others makes me a little more careful with it.

I have a stub on my aesculap pen.

In my book this is a -lovely- cursic italic nib.

Happy with it.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Basically just a simple steel nib. But the little patch of gold and the mumbo-jumbo physics/chemistry that goes with it constitute a neat little marketing con.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Delta Journal with the fusion nib. The pen was driving me crazy; no matter what kind of ink I put in it, or how much water I ran through it, it was hard-starting and skipping. I was flushing it out to send it to Yafa to see if it needed repair or the feed replaced or something, and while I was shaking it down, I began to see inky water coming from the section as well as the nib. Promptly soaked it for an hour, flushed again, shook until every bit of color was gone, let it dry, and inked it with Sailor Jentle blue-black -- and now the nib is just as lovely as it was when I tried it at the store, a nice, smooth, wet line. I've written pages and pages over the last two days with no problems.

So now? Now I love my fusion nib. The science of it is terrible, sure, and the pamphlet you get about it is like reading a Doctor Bronner's soap label. But it feels great when I write with it, and that's what I want out of a pen.

And the red marble Journal? Is just... gorgeous.

With no offense to Fusion owners, it sounds like Delta has created a "feature" that's a lot like some of the "features" the Big 3 used to put on cars back in the 1980s: it adds no real value, it's just another thing that can break. I like the looks of a lot of their Fusion line, but I don't really want the bother of nib bits that fall off.

Why not just make a really nice steel nib and then leave it alone -- or give it a little gold plating? Why add the gimmick? Is plain steel that hard to market?

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

I like Delta pen designs and their piston system. I also like gold nibs and all my Delta fountain pens reflect that preference.

Beyond that, there is a major price difference between steel & gold nibs. Delta has made a steel & gold "fusion" nib without appearing to discount the cost of the the pens. If, hypothetically, I were willing to purchase a Delta pen with a largely steel nib, I'd not do it at a price that reflects a gold nib.

While I think the Fusion nib looks quite nice I don't think the gold 'hood ornament' contributes anything to the ink flow performance compared to a standard Delta Steel nib.

One of my pen-friends had his gold shield fall off and was perturbed by the big glob of glue used to attach it. Unless the glue has special thermodynamic properties this seems to compromise Delta's 'scientific' claims for the Fusion nib.

I think the Fusion nib allows Delta a little more flexibility in their pricing strategy by providing the attractive Fusion steel nib between the steel & gold ones.

I have both 14K & Fusion gold stubs and for me the Fusion stub is much nicer to use than the traditional gold one.

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

I have both 14K & Fusion gold stubs and for me the Fusion stub is much nicer to use than the traditional gold one.

Interesting. I wonder how many other Delta owners feel that way.

@BarnabasBumble

YouTube Pen Reviews

• 4 months later...

I have 3 Fusion nibs (EF, F & B ) and 18K M & 14K B Delta nibs. I prefer the Fusion over the all gold. All my Delta nibs have a unique similar writing feel. I like feedback when I put nib to paper, these have a lot. The Fusion glides a little better & has more refined feedback. The EF is one of the best EF's I have ever written with. I can write longer with Fusion nibs. That said, if I was reviewing the gold nibs I would not find fault with them, but compared to the Fusion, there are differences that favor the Fusion based on my writing experience. All have great consistent flow, write without skipping. Overall I am a big Delta fan.

I have two Dolcevitas (with medium and fine nibs) and they both write better than my Profili with a solid gold nib. I did have the gold section fall off one of them (my fault...careless with a cloth) but a little dot of glue fixed it right up.

I'm a big fan of Delta's steel nibbed pens, smooth and wet. It's a shame they feel they have to superglue a bit of gold on to them

I have two Dolcevitas (with medium and fine nibs) and they both write better than my Profili with a solid gold nib. I did have the gold section fall off one of them (my fault...careless with a cloth) but a little dot of glue fixed it right up.

That's interesting! I have a stub Fusion nib but was thinking of getting another Delta with a 14ct stub .... Maybe I shouldn't bother ...?

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)