• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• miatagrrl

• KBeezie

• tinta

• maverink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The music nib on the Century 3776 is highly regarded.

Also you can get it for bout $156 + $12-15 shipping directly from Japan: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bunkidou-shop/item/pnbm-20000/

Or about $90 shipped if you didn't want the music nib. (I've bought two of my Century 3776's from the Bunkidou seller on there).

Also in regards to the comment "For a pen with a gold nib", I can get a Platinum PTL-5000 with a 14K nib for $50 or less, or a vintage pen with a 14K nib for low as $15-20. All three of my Pilot Elites with 18K Nibs were under $50. The Platinum PTL-10000 I got with an 18K Medium was less than $60.

PS: You can also get the Pilot 14K Music nib on a Custom 74 for about $95 shipped.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bunkidou-shop/item/fkk-12sr/

Useful info -- thank you! Are you saying that the music nib on the Custom 74 is exactly the same as the one on more expensive Pilots? I don't mind spending a lot for a great nib, but I also don't need a fancy body, so I'd be happy to spend < $100 if I knew the nib was going to be the same.

Useful info -- thank you! Are you saying that the music nib on the Custom 74 is exactly the same as the one on more expensive Pilots? I don't mind spending a lot for a great nib, but I also don't need a fancy body, so I'd be happy to spend < $100 if I knew the nib was going to be the same.

Pilot 74 uses a #5 size nib, the Pilot 742 uses a #10 size nib. The nib itself is physically larger but should be about the same in terms of effect (ie: like a #5 F and #10 F are both going to write fine). But probably best for someone who has used both to chime in. (Their #5 and #10 is Pilot's numbering, not to be confused with the sizes like Jowo #5/#6).

Here's their listing for a 742 (Around $130-140) for which you can pick a music nib as well. As well as a larger nib, the pen body itself is also a little larger.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bunkidou-shop/item/fkk-2000r-b/

PS: If you mean more expensive as in what you'd have to pay from CultPens or somewhere in the US. They're the exact same pens, just some models are cheaper to obtain in Japan directly (like the Platinum Century 3776 without a music nib is around $90 shipped from Japan, but around $176 to buy the exact same pen in the US).

I don't know how customs are in Ireland, but it may be something to keep in mind. When I buy from them I don't have to pay taxes or customs on the imports being in the US. But I hear that those in the UK have to pay enough customs that it doesn't make it very cost effective to import from Japan.

Edited by KBeezie

Bitterwonder, any chance you can upload (or give links to) drawings you have made with the Platinum? It sounds like you are taking advantage of the line variation in exactly the ways I would like to do.

Posting images here is beyond me. Sometimes i can and so etimes i cannot. Lately i cannot.

If you are on Instagram look up the Bitterwonder. Drawings marked Motherland Ball, wamfest, blick or models are all done with the Platinum music nib and a wash brush. The Ted x drawing was done with Noodler's Neponsit with music nib.

Music nibs will always be a bit more expensive... If the custom 74 costs like 90USD the music nib version is in the 100USD the same may not be true to the custom 742

Both of the ones I linked above are the prices for the Music nib. 74 ( $82 + shipping ) and 742 ( $129 + shipping ). The 74 without the music nib is cheaper than that (down to around $63 + shipping), but the 742 remains the same price regardless of which nib. Shipping is between $12 and $15 since it's the same worldwide with them.

The price difference between the Platinum Century 3776 with and without the music nib is a bit more drastic. $90 shipped on average without, to about $170 with it.

PS: If you mean more expensive as in what you'd have to pay from CultPens or somewhere in the US. They're the exact same pens, just some models are cheaper to obtain in Japan directly (like the Platinum Century 3776 without a music nib is around $90 shipped from Japan, but around $176 to buy the exact same pen in the US).

I don't know how customs are in Ireland, but it may be something to keep in mind. When I buy from them I don't have to pay taxes or customs on the imports being in the US. But I hear that those in the UK have to pay enough customs that it doesn't make it very cost effective to import from Japan.

Actually, my question about price was referring to the nib itself -- for example, whether a less-expensive Pilot with a music nib has the same nib as a more-expensive Pilot with a music nib (implying that only the body is different). When I look at pen sites, I have difficulty determining how much I would be paying for the body vs. how much for the nib.

And also re: price, I've noticed that many Japanese products are less expensive when ordered directly from Japan. I'm not opposed to ordering directly if all goes well, and I'd like to save money, but I am a little concerned if I were to run into a problem. For example, Goulet is always more expensive, but I know it would be really easy to send a pen back and get it replaced if it were defective. Seems like shipping to and from Japan would not be so easy. Have you had any problems like this with Rakuten?

Actually, my question about price was referring to the nib itself -- for example, whether a less-expensive Pilot with a music nib has the same nib as a more-expensive Pilot with a music nib (implying that only the body is different). When I look at pen sites, I have difficulty determining how much I would be paying for the body vs. how much for the nib.

And also re: price, I've noticed that many Japanese products are less expensive when ordered directly from Japan. I'm not opposed to ordering directly if all goes well, and I'd like to save money, but I am a little concerned if I were to run into a problem. For example, Goulet is always more expensive, but I know it would be really easy to send a pen back and get it replaced if it were defective. Seems like shipping to and from Japan would not be so easy. Have you had any problems like this with Rakuten?

I haven't had an issue with communication (I've only bought from the Bunkidou seller on rakuten, they're a marketplace like Amazon but with many sellers). The pens I've bought from them I never had a problem with, so I never needed to return anything.

One thing to keep in mind, with Platinum for example, is the warranty card expressly states it has a 1 year warranty on pens that cost more than 10,000 yen. The price tags that are on the Platinum Century 3776, Platinum PTL-10,000 etc for example are exactly 10,000 yen, but not 'more' so warranty wouldn't be included naturally (and if it were, it'd have to be dealt with thru Japan). Not sure how it is with Pilot. But as I said with all my brand new Japanese pens (Pilot, Platinum, Sailor) I never had a problem that required replacement or support so I haven't had a chance to test that.

I do know from other's account, they tend to be extremely helpful, the main issue may be the language barrier (though the staff with Bunkidou shop seems to have someone decently proficient in English employed).

Far as the Pilot Music Nibs. Since they don't sell those nibs separately there's no telling how they would price them outside of the pen. But the 74 uses a #5 (smaller) size nib, and the 742 uses the larger #10 size. The tipping isn't any larger, just the overall nib size/shape, some people prefer larger nibs, they may have a slightly different feel between them (but I couldn't tell you exactly what it feels like between the two).

I personally would want to try out a 742 preferably with maybe their Waverly nib (a EF~F that has a slightly upturned tipping sort of like the old sheaffer triumph nibs that provides a much smoother feel even on rougher paper). They don't provide the WA nib in the slightly smaller 74.

I haven't had an issue with communication (I've only bought from the Bunkidou seller on rakuten, they're a marketplace like Amazon but with many sellers). The pens I've bought from them I never had a problem with, so I never needed to return anything. . . .

I just spent a couple hours perusing the Rakuten site . . . they have great prices on some other things I've been planning to buy, like several inks. But the site sure is difficult to use! The search function seems non-functioning (like I put in "Sailor Jentle ink" and got back every ink in their inventory -- not exactly a refined search!), and some of the auto-translated text is perplexing (if not downright hilarious). But I'm encouraged by your successful transactions. I might cautiously order one pen and see what happens. I'm not familiar with Alipay. . . where it says "Alipay OK," does that mean ONLY Alipay is accepted? Or do they also take credit cards and/or PayPal?

I just spent a couple hours perusing the Rakuten site . . . they have great prices on some other things I've been planning to buy, like several inks. But the site sure is difficult to use! The search function seems non-functioning (like I put in "Sailor Jentle ink" and got back every ink in their inventory -- not exactly a refined search!), and some of the auto-translated text is perplexing (if not downright hilarious). But I'm encouraged by your successful transactions. I might cautiously order one pen and see what happens. I'm not familiar with Alipay. . . where it says "Alipay OK," does that mean ONLY Alipay is accepted? Or do they also take credit cards and/or PayPal?

The naming is often different when doing a search, and it's also easier to search a specific seller when you are viewing the product, the search bar will search them specifically. Also it may help to reduce the terms to the simplest words possible. For example If I want to find a Platinum Century 3776, I don't even bother with the first to I just type in 3776 and just browse that. It helps to drill down the category down to home office, writing instruments etc.

And yes they do take paypal (least Bunkidou does), the Alipay OK just means they accept alipay but they also accept Paypal, it also helps to register on the site first so that you're recognized as non-native showing everything in English and your country's currency. Usually what happens (with bunkidou) is you check out and commit to an order, they send a follow up email giving you the price + shipping total, along with a paypal link to pay if you picked that as your payment method. Once that's paid they send another email notifying you of shipment status. Takes about 3-4 days depending on where you live since they use EMS by default. It may or may not be the case with other sellers. If you ever get an email from them all in Japanese, simply reply back in english that you're unable to read Japanese, they will usually have a staff follow up in English.

With Bunkidou the email usually requires just two things. The Your name/Address to verify on the customs for, and the "provisio", ie: what you want the item to be described as on the customs form.

Edited by KBeezie

i have good experience with rakuten shops like voice, horiman, the article, office-japan, etc they all use EMS and accept paypal, creditcard payment and ship promptly unless the item is not in stock.

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

KBeezie, I appreciate the info on Rakuten. Maverink, thanks also for your experience. It's always a little worrisome ordering from an unknown site for the first time, so it's good to hear that you've had satisfactory experiences. I'm going to see if I can find someone local who will let me compare Pilot and Platinum music nibs. If I can't, I'll take my chances and order one or maybe both. If it turns out one doesn't work out for me, I'm guessing that I won't have too much trouble selling it -- seems like a lot of barely used pens are on the market and sell quickly.

How do you purchase on rakuten ? Do you have to use the services of a shipping company on top of the purchase price ?

How do you purchase on rakuten ? Do you have to use the services of a shipping company on top of the purchase price ?

Depends on which Rakuten seller you are buying from. But in the case of Bunkidou, assuming you already have an account on Rakuten when you address and currency preference set, it goes pretty much like this.

- You add something to the cart

- You check out, which confirms the order and the method you want to pay with (such as Paypal, even if they say "Alipay Ok" just means they also accept that, not that they only take that).

- You get an email shortly after that. If its your first time purchasing from them, usually in that email there's also a spot to fill out your full address in english and the "provisio" meaning how you want the item described on the customs form.

- Following that is an email with the calculated shipping charge and the final total, which if you agree to it, there's a link to paypal to pay (you can also opt to reduce the shipping charge to a slower transit method, or decide to cancel the order). In most cases the shipping is like $12 to $15 for 3-4 day EMS if it's like a pen or two.

- Once paid, they send off a shipment notification with a Japan Post tracking number which can be checked at http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ems/index_en.html (once it enters into the US for example, the same number can be tracked at usps.gov, not sure about other countries postal services).

But after the first time with the same seller it goes by much smoother, least it has been for the Bunkidou seller.

+1 to rakuten for buying japanese pens satisfied customer

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

Karl, thanks the info about Rakuten. I placed an order for a Pilot 912 with falcon nib the morning, and I just got notification that it will ship tonight. I know I didn't set out to get a falcon nib, but I somehow got seduced into wanting one.;-) But I'm not done shopping -- still planning to get a Platinum 3776 with music nib. I thought I was going get one for half price this morning at Pen Chalet, but alas, those on sale did not have music nibs. Hate to get another black pen... Might have to spring for the blue one from Goulet. Haven't seen that color with a music nib anywhere else. (Somewhere else in this thread, I think I said I didn't care about the pen body if I got the right nib. Obviously I lied.)

@miatagrrl congrats on the pilot 912FA

3776 century music is available only in black colour, i am told its expected to be available in chartres blue and bourgone red as well

what i did was i bought a 3776 century black music and a 3776 chartres blue SF and swapped nibs its easy as its a friction fit.

for 3776 music nib you will see the rakuten prices not very much different from US vendors prices

im sure some japanese vendors like engeika will do the nib swap for you.

yes i love the 3776 century in chartres blue and bourgone red as well

i fail to understand as to why a blue pen more costly than a red pen?

And all indian pens

@miatagrrl congrats on the pilot 912FA

3776 century music is available only in black colour, i am told its expected to be available in chartres blue and bourgone red as well

what i did was i bought a 3776 century black music and a 3776 chartres blue SF and swapped nibs its easy as its a friction fit.

for 3776 music nib you will see the rakuten prices not very much different from US vendors prices

im sure some japanese vendors like engeika will do the nib swap for you.

yes i love the 3776 century in chartres blue and bourgone red as well

i fail to understand as to why a blue pen more costly than a red pen?

Goulet does have the 3776 Century Music in four colors (black/gold, black/rhodium, Chartres Blue and Bourgogne) and all the same price.

http://www.gouletpens.com/search?query=platinum+3776&facetValueFilter=

The price is quite a bit higher than at Rakuten, of course. I wonder how long it will take for the other colors to be available on Rakuten. I would guess that the difference in price for various colors is strictly due to demand! People like me are willing to pay more to get a blue one. :P Or maybe it's the opposite -- Chartres Blue will be purchased by fewer people than classic black, so it costs more to produce.

I didn't know that the nibs were that easily interchangeable. Thanks for the tip! I don't suppose that the Platinum nibs can be purchased/replaced separately without bodies? That would be an ideal way to try out different nib sizes/styles. Although I suppose the nib is the most expensive component, so maybe it's not worthwhile to buy a nib alone, even if it were possible.

@miatagrrl i bought my black gold music 3776 a year back, those days the music nib was only available in black gold trim, so when i could get hold of a chartres blue swapped the nibs. i just did a search and all four colours are available at rakuten

i remember getting my chartres blue SF pen for USD100 shipped from rakuten. a lot cheaper than link shared by you.

sadly you cant get hold of the platinum nibs unless you have access to a nibmeister.

nibs account for bulk of the value and are same across all colours, its plastic with colouring dye added during blow moulding, so platinum is making extra money on our love for blue colour. it doesn't cost more to make a blue pen over a red pen. red and black have the same cost on rakuten.

only the blue is expensive.

Edited by maverink

And all indian pens