Review: Conklin Duragraph (2014 Version)

TheGreatRoe

Thanks for the review. I had been wondering what these were like, because they're attractive pens and definitely in my price range when I go pen shopping next.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheGreatRoe

• TheRealScubaSteve

• RMN

• visvamitra

I planned to check out this pen at the Philly Pen Show, along with some of the Monteverde in the same price range.

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

Eh. Nothing special. But I don't post most pens...

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/conklin_images/CK71320_closed.png

The cap posts down over the black endpiece to about the silver band. So....about an inch...?

Thanks, that's what it looked like on one youtube vid I saw--that isn't very deep (IMO)

They're now $47 at FPH. But Mosaics are now only $69. For the extra $22 you most likely get a better built pen. Example: the threads when you cap the Duragraph are plastic and part of pen. On the Conklin they are metal. So is better option to go with the Mosaic?

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I think I'm done buying pens, I see a review that makes me think, "I'd look good writing with that pen. I should buy it, without any kind of hesitation whatsoever."

This is one such review. It doesn't hurt that I have a Mosaic and I loves it. And that I've been wondering about this pen.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be." -- Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

They're now $47 at FPH. But Mosaics are now only $69. For the extra $22 you most likely get a better built pen. Example: the threads when you cap the Duragraph are plastic and part of pen. On the Conklin they are metal. So is better option to go with the Mosaic?

I would say it depends. I don't like what the Mosaics look like, personally -- but the Amber Duragraph is nice looking. And wouldn't the metal threads add extra weight? That could be an issue -- especially for someone like me with smallish hands.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The threads are plastic, but the metal tail ring is what stops the cap from posting far enough to really be postable. It does not contact the threads in the cap much at all. The Duragraph is a great pen.

Hmmm - I received Duragraph with stub 1,1. I'm not sure if I just had bad luick or something but it's the worst stub I've ever tried: scratchy and the flow is ... well, the thing is, there's almost no flow at all. No matter what ink I use the flow is very, very bad. ANyone has similar experience or an idea of how to improve the situation?

That is disappointing! Mine has a 1.1 mm too and flow is fantastic. Does not dry out, skip, blotch, etc., etc. Have you tried re-positioning the feed (it's just friction fit)? Are the tines aligned?

Edited by TheRealScubaSteve

• 2 years later...

I have had this for two years. I have the fine steel nib in Forest green. Good edc pen. Slightly towards medium. I like the cleaning ease of the screw in nib. The screw in converter is nice and solid. The converter was included which is nice, plus 2 carts. I paid $44 minus a 10% loyalty discount.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pen

Exactly - for about $40 it makes a good gift. I gave one to my brother-in-law to get him started. Al Stars are awesome gift pens but I thought this would be a little differnt than some of the first pen names we hear.

• 3 months later...

The Conkin is VERY long when posted, as TheGreatRoe says, only as deep as the silver band.

I wouldn't recommend this pen if posting is a must for you. That said, it's a larger pen so should be usable unposted for most - I've found it's size, width and lightweight material makes it one of my most comfortable pens for long writing.

I have the 1.1 stub in forest green and mine was a smooth and wonderful performer out of the box, one of my favorite pens so far! I use it for the main text in my bible transcription project.

For bonus points - it uses a #6 nib, which opens up lots of options if you don't like the stock nib or want options!

~AK

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

• 3 months later...

Adding a mini review of my new "Merlot" Conklin Duragraph from gouletpens:

Rz4cV1D.jpg

6LBKp1v.jpg

Overall a nice pen for what I paid for it on sale. I hate posting my fountain pens, so it's important for the main barrel body to be comfortable without the cap. This pen is a great size, not very large, not too small, well-balanced without the cap, and is nice to write with. My favorite pens to write with remain my silver Omas Paragon with a custom medium cursive italic and a lowly but excellent Kaweco Perkeo (I simply love the grip, the weight, and the wonderful springy with light feedback #5 Bock Fine nib on it). But this pen will definitely be in my regular rotation. I find it more comfortable to write with and a better experience than my Lamy Safari, LX, and Al-Star, which are in the similar price range pending on sales and such. My only regret is that gouletpens did not offer this pen with a Fine nib, which would have been my ultimate preference.

Aesthetics-wise, the merlot resin(?) is subtle and looks good. I think I'd have preferred for the cap to also be made of the matching merlot resin, but the black is not out of place with other black accents on the pen. I might be in the minority, but I like the Conklin nib design of the two-tone version I purchased.

Conklin's Medium nib writes about as wide as Lamy Safari Fine, perhaps even a hair narrower! Compared writing made with a couple different Lamy "Fine" nibs.

Diamine Syrah ink is a pretty good color match.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”