Review: Conklin Duragraph (2014 Version)

TheGreatRoe

Conklin Duragraph - Overall: 8.6/10

A while back, I found my grail pens. And since then I've downsized my pen collection, and I've been concentrating more on inks--well, that and getting married. But once a collector, always a collector, although now that I have my grail pens, I find my curiosity piqued more by economical pens that by the pricier pens.

Last week I saw pictures of the new Conklin Duragraph popping up on some pen sites, and when I got an eyeful of the orange...well, I just had to try it.

I was able to find the Amber with a Fine Steel Nib, for just under $40 (shipping extra).

post-97570-0-25454900-1416432670_thumb.jpg

Appearance: 9/10

For a $40 pen, this pen is seriously hot. The resin is mottled orange, black and white, and it's semi translucent. There wasn't enough sun today for me to get a pic in the sunlight, but I did catch a glimpse or two, and wow. The resin is not the type of plastic you expect on a pen at this price point--it doesn't feel cheap or flimsy, or injection molded. On the other hand, the black plastic that serves as the section and both ends of the pen, is standard...glossy, but not too slippery...nothing special. The nib is engraved Conklin (in a gold-toned oval), Toledo, USA, and is otherwise unadorned. The cap band is engraved...not one of the better engraving jobs, but so what?

http://www.penchalet.com/images/products/enlarge/10946-Amber-zoom.jpg

Construction: 9/10

Generally, for around this price, you're going to get a solid pen out of unremarkable material, or better materials and lower workmanship--but here it seems like I've found a well made pen out of surprisingly good material. This pen is light, without feeling cheap, and sturdy enough to do what a pen needs to do. It doesn't feel like it would break if it fell from the table to the tile floor, but I'm not gonna push my luck by bouncing it down the stairs (my Homo Sapiens survived that without a scratch).

Filling: 8/10

It's a cartridge/converter. That's generally a 7/10. So what's the extra point for? It's not a cheap converter, and it's threaded and screws in securely.

Nib: 8/10

It's not a remarkable nib. But...It's steel...It's smooth...It's wet...It's even got a little flex. It's not a nib to get all poetic and grandiose about, but it's a respectable steel nib on a pen at this cost. I'm happy.

post-97570-0-97600100-1416432671_thumb.jpg

Test Drive: 9/10

After 3 pages, I'm very happy with the new Duragraph. It's light enough that hand fatigue is minimal. The wet, smooth nib, kept up no matter how fast I wrote. It's not the kind of transformative writing experience you'll get with a top pen, but it's a solid EDC.

Overall: 8.6/10

Normally, for $40 I would evaluate this as a starter pen. But frankly, this pen rises above that. I've tried a few other pens in this range--Lamy Al-Star, Monteverde Impressa, Monteverde Tool Pen--and this pen is just better. I'd lump it with pens in the next price range up.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheGreatRoe

• TheRealScubaSteve

• inkstainedruth

• TSherbs

Nice pen for that money.

What is the weight?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Nice pen for that money.

What is the weight?

D.ick

Body Weight

14g

Cap Weight

12g

Overall Weight

26g

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

I was just looking at this pen. Thanks for the review. The section looks rather small - do you find the threads to be sharp?

Edited by TheRealScubaSteve

Thx Dale

That makes the pen a bit light for my tastes. But good looking it is.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I was just looking at this pen. Thanks for the review. The section looks rather small - do you find the threads to be sharp?

I don't notice the threads at all.

I picked up the Cracked Ice version with a Stub Nib a few weeks ago

at Fountain Pen Hospital. The pen is a real performer and the Stub lays

down a nice, wet line. At the price of $40'ish, this is a good solid bargain

and a solid everyday carry.

Hi, I'd like to know if the converter has threads or it's just a push in type.

The converter that came with my pen has threads and screws in very securely.

Just found this pen on an e-retailer website today. Thanks for the review, this pen is going on my wish list for stocking stuffers.

Thanks for the review. I've been looking at this pen, but wondered about the quality for $40. Looks like it will go back on my wish list.

Good review. It's nice to know about the less expensive pens.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

Thanks for the good review. I like the looks and the history behind the pen; definitely on my wish list. One question: does the "Fine" write like a fine, or is it broader or narrower than you expected.

Thanks for the good review. I like the looks and the history behind the pen; definitely on my wish list. One question: does the "Fine" write like a fine, or is it broader or narrower than you expected.

The line seems comparable to my Visconti Van Gogh F nib--which is the only other pen I currently have inked.

• 1 month later...

The line seems comparable to my Visconti Van Gogh F nib--which is the only other pen I currently have inked.

How well (securely/deeply) does it post?

How well (securely/deeply) does it post?

Eh. Nothing special. But I don't post most pens...

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/conklin_images/CK71320_closed.png

The cap posts down over the black endpiece to about the silver band. So....about an inch...?