Advice Sought: Unpacked "like New" Mb 149 And Found A Sprung Nib

Segel

Hello, This whole online used fountain pen game is beginning to erode my faith in human nature. I just unpacked a MB 149 (1980s or 1990s 2tone 18k nib) that I bought used from an Amazon Marketplace seller after reviewing several high-def pictures of the pen and receiving assurances that it was "as new" and authentic. I think it is authentic and it does look immaculate, but the nib is sprung: the tines are pulled away from the feed for at least a half inch and I can see that they have been bent and partially straightened. This damage was not visible in any of the photographs (no side view of nib) but it explains the below-market price. My question: I have contacted MB repair and they can not give me a precise estimate over the phone, but thought it would cost $175-400 depending upon if the nib needed replacement. Even at the lower price, my total cost in the pen exceeds its value. Anyone think this pen is worth keeping or should I follow my instinct, insist upon a return and start afresh?

post-101180-0-17097600-1416429169_thumb.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Segel

• CSG

• meiers

• CS388

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks fixable for a decent nibmeister, which would cost a lot less than what MB is indicating. I would go that route if you are happy with what you paid and the rest of the pen (for, as you say, under market value)... Otherwise, return it. No sense in paying that much to MB.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Looks dropped more than sprung to me. Looks like the generation 1 plastic feed so 90s on the date. I agree it looks fixable, but hard to see what was done already as you mentioned it looked like it has been partially straightened. I think you would be looking at like $30 to $50 in repair from an individual, but you need to factor in time and shipping.

I would return it. That is a fairly recent pen and there are a lot out there. This is not like one of the old 14C or 18C (or even the 14K) that people get more excited about.

It sucks this happened. Find the path that is the least headache for you.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Not to belabor the point but if anywhere the add for the pen said words to the effect, "ready to write", you were misled. I wouldn't be shy in telling the seller that it was misleading. And knowing that he wants to be an upright person what is he going to do about it? If he suggests he'll take it back suggest instead he refund you $ 35.00 to have it fixed. At least give him a chance to disappoint you.

Looks dropped more than sprung to me. Looks like the generation 1 plastic feed so 90s on the date. I agree it looks fixable, but hard to see what was done already as you mentioned it looked like it has been partially straightened. I think you would be looking at like $30 to $50 in repair from an individual, but you need to factor in time and shipping.

I would return it. That is a fairly recent pen and there are a lot out there. This is not like one of the old 14C or 18C (or even the 14K) that people get more excited about.

It sucks this happened. Find the path that is the least headache for you.

+1 for the above - I'd return it since it's really not hard to find used 149s in good condition. Like jebib, I'd give the seller a chance (if not the benefit of the doubt - they might not be familiar with FPs and didn't realized the severity of the damage), but given the unknown cost of a repair, I'd prefer to start fresh rather than take the chance that the seller's refund won't cover the nibmeister's cost to fix the original problem.

Thanks everybody. I sent the image to nibmeister Mikeitwork who assures me he can fix it for a fraction of the MB estimate. The only downside is a nine week wait. It is really a shame: the pen is otherwise immaculate, even the nib is scratch and tarnish free despite the bend, and it came inside an as new MB leather pen case.

Thanks everybody. I sent the image to nibmeister Mikeitwork who assures me he can fix it for a fraction of the MB estimate. The only downside is a nine week wait. It is really a shame: the pen is otherwise immaculate, even the nib is scratch and tarnish free despite the bend, and it came inside an as new MB leather pen case.

That's good news.

But, the fact that you were mis-sold the pen still stands.

Contact the seller and tell them your thoughts. Even if they offer to pay for the work, there is still the turn-around time to consider.

And the fact that you expected a pen which you could write with straight away (new and authentic?).

All in all, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Of course, it's up to you - but I'd be returning that one and starting afresh.

Good, used 149's are common-place, across a whole range of prices from 'below market price' to 'seller is dreaming price'.

Another bargain may be just around the corner.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Good luck.

I would want my money back. There are plenty of 149's out there. Even if the seller refunds the repair, do you really, truly still want the pen?

Giving the seller the benefit of the doubt, I explained that the nib was sprung and required repair to write properly. I have requested a refund and on Amazon Marketplace the seller has two days to authorize the return. We'll see what happens. I'm attaching an image of the pen and its leather case. Apart from the nib damage, I can see no signs that the pen or the case were ever actually used. So keeping it and repairing it would not be a terrible outcome.

post-101180-0-46106300-1416453708_thumb.jpg

Edited by Segel

Ouch! That's unfortunate. Sorry for you for the hassle.

Mike has worked on several of my pens and his work is truly top notch. If you got the pen for a good price, the wait aside, you should be more than satisfied when you get it back.

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

Send the pen to Francis(Fountainbel) get it back in your hands in 3 weeks. 10 days to get there and 10 days for return trip and 1 day to fix it. Should take a competent nibmeister about 1hour to fix it.

I would return it. It would be horrible to have to live with a pen that you have a nagging irritation with even after it is fixed.

I would also return it. I would always have that nagging irritation that the nib isn't perfect. There are always more 149's coming along at good prices

The seller graciously apologized and authorised a full refund. I am sending it back and will start afresh. Thank you all for the comments and suggestions.

That's good news. I've had mostly very good luck with sellers online. I'm sure it won't take you long to find another and without any issues.

Look for a '50-65 one....very nice nibs in that era.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

It's really up to you and comes down to how much you like that pen and how much you paid. Someone like Michael over at MikeItWork can fix the nib for around 30-60 dollars as well as modify the nib in a way that makes it write the way YOU want. It's up to you.

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush