Rhodium Plated M101N Nib Finish Wearing Off Nib

brewsky

I have never heard of such a thing on a pelikan.

Last year i purchased a lizard m101N lizard.

I recently have noticed that I have had a lot of nib creep so decided to clean out the pen.

After investigation with a loupe, i noticed that there is a chip, or finish coming off about half way between the tipping material and breather hole just to the right of the tine.

I have emailed the company i purchased it from to see if they can offer me any advice.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of this happening? It is disappointing seeing as i have only inked this pen a handful of times.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brewsky

• risingsun

• sargetalon

• tinta

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an M625 with Rhodium-plated nib that I purchased used. It came to me with some wear on the plating, so some gold showing through, particularly around the breather hole.

I also have some 70s-80s Rh-plated Lamy 14k nibs that show some plating loss. It happens. I try not to let it bother me much. Certainly doesn't affect the performance of the nib.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Do you have any pictures handy brewsky? I have not heard of this and my M101N is not displaying this behavior but I guess anything can happen. May be something with that batch of nibs. Should just be more cosmetic though and not impact function but I can understand how it would annoy.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I'll try and get a picture. It looks almost like a fracture, but under a loupe it just shows a fine fine line of missing finish.

Also I got a reply and i might have to just send it to chartpark. Does anyone have any experience with their service?

Rhodium plating on 14 or 18K gold is just that, it's "plating".

I have noticed some loss of the rhodium finish on one of my 18K two/tone JoWo stubs & on one fully plated 14K Sailor nib.

All plating will eventually wear, but this shouldn't happen within the first year, particularly if you are gentle wiping your nib.

Although I no longer have a Pelikan, my experience with Chartpack in the past has been positive.

Hope they look after you.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Abbi at Chartpak is as good as they come. I like Abbi.

For those who may not have a pen with a warranty, the clip can be replated. I've found though that t nt all rhodium plating solution is created equal. The first solution that I had didn't play well with nibs (corrosion showing up as a gray or black line along the slit where ink came in contact with the plating) and tended to wear easily on furniture. The solution that I've been using since earlier this year holds up well, and works plays just fine when used to plate/replate nibs.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I have had good experiences with Chartpak. They provide solid service.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Maybe it's an illusion but it looks like you're losing plating in the bottom of the stamped lettering on that nib, too...

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

Maybe it's an illusion but it looks like you're losing plating in the bottom of the stamped lettering on that nib, too...

Luckily not. It is just an illusion due to the lighting I chose for the shot. Thanks for looking out though.