Doctor Deluxe: An Under 3 $ Reliable Pen From India

mrmohitmishra

There are some dresses you would like to wear to a party, others to a friends marriage, but will you wear those dresses in your apartment. I guess not! In your home, you would perhaps seek something comfortable, something that you could wear for a longer time and still feel at ease. It may perhaps not look too savvy but it should be comfortable, easily washable, and quite durable to withstand routine wear and tear.
This pen serves the same function in your pen collection as your jockeys and T-shirts in your wardrobe. It doesn't look awesome. It has its manufacturing and design cons. It's an eyedropper which may start to burp if you let the ink levels fall too low. But, and its a capital BUT, this pen is so comfortable to write with that you could use it for hours and hours without fatigue. It is, for me, one of those rare fountain pens which can be used for daily writing purposes. Mind it, it is that sort of pen which you would always want to keep inked. A pen, which you would like to keep in your pen stand and use it once you are tired of showing off your Pelikans and Montblancs. A pen which is so competitively priced that it can be used for experimenting, changing nibs, fiddling with the slit, if you are into that sort of thing, though I think you would never need to do so.
wpid-20141119_101912.jpg?w=1008
Part 1: The Built & Looks :- This pens boasts of a clear demonstrator barrel. A silver-colored clip is attached to the cap marble, cap marble can be screwed in the cap and in this way supports the clip. Cap also uses a cap ring at the bottom. Cap is built of plastic. As the photographs show, there are some serious aesthetic issues with the quality and built of the cap and the clip. The color of the cap is not too fancy and the nib which says 'DOCTOR' is also not exactly eye catching. But, hey , we don't expect a lot from an under 3 dollar pen. I got the pen with the smell of the plastic. The barrel is clear, so when I put some red or other attractive colored ink in it, it looks nice. But when you see it without ink, you would find that the barrel is not as 'clear' as you would expect. However, the pen appears strong and sturdy. It won't crack upon falling. It is built to withstand normal use and accidents. Thus considering it's price, I am inclined to give it 2.5/5 for its built and looks.
wpid-20141119_102100.jpg?w=768 wpid-20141119_101951.jpg?w=225 wpid-20141119_101944.jpg?w=225 wpid-20141119_102116.jpg?w=225
Part 2: The Balance:- The pen is light weight. Its a large pen and for normal male hands and large female hands it should provide good grip width. I have large hands and I personally found balance and the grip amazingly good. I was amazed because I have often paid a lot and found this balance lacking. It is a fairly large size pen and fitted perfectly in my large hands. The pen was a pleasure to write with, whether the cap was posted or unposted. I felt as if I could fill page after page with this pen. Very good weight , balance and ergonomics. For the price I paid, I should give it 5 out of 5 in this respect.
wpid-20141119_102215.jpg?w=1008

Part 3: The nib and the feed:-The nib and the feed are the soul of the pen. Imagine a pen where every thing is par excellence but having no nib or feed. The pen uses a Doctor brand gold-plated iridium tipped nib. The feed material is apparently ebonite. Its a typical non finned, two channelled old style feed. The pen is, as already said, an eyedropper. The well laid channels on the feed ensure plenty of ink supply and the carefully designed nib gives a very smooth fine writing experience. Since, the pen is an eyedropper, its ink capacity is somewhere like 2-3 ml. I am not sure about that, but one thing that I am sure of is that the capacity is at least 4 times a standard international cartridge. When ink reaches 1/3rd mark, the chances of burping increase. Though the design of the nib and the feed is simple, but it is efficient and job oriented. They have been designed to write for long hours. The barrel acts as a large reservoir, the feed ensures consistent supply and the nib smoothly puts the ink on the paper with a style. For its price, I would give the nib and the feed a 4 out of 5.

wpid-20141119_102529.jpg?w=1008 wpid-20141119_102705.jpg?w=1008
Part 4: The writing:- This pen delivers where it is most important to do so. Where writing is concerned, the pen hits a home run. It writes a fine line. Nib is very smooth and the there is no skipping, rail-roading, difficult starts etc. Rather, I found the writing is pleasurable and non tiring. Nib is stiff but one can definitely see some line variations. The nib is a joy to write with. It kind of made my hand writing look good. Its a note taking pen, one can carry to his college. I felt as it I could write faster with this pen, than with many other fountain pens in my collection. Writing experience was akin to that of a good ball pen minus the pressure. Loved it. Since the balance and the weight are optimal, the pen delivers a superb writing experience. For its price, the writing experience deserve a 9 out of 10. I have allotted 10 marks to the writing because I consider it at least twice as important. That's what pens are made for, aren't they?
wpid-20141119_103543-e1416388773710.jpg? wpid-20141119_103548-e1416388819492.jpg? wpid-20141119_103619.jpg?w=768I got it from ASApens with a combo set. They have another pen on their site with the same name. I am not very sure if its the same pen.This pen looks different from that one. Though the nib and the feed of the pen I got and the pen they have on their site looks same. I was informed that the pen I got was even cheaper. However since the nib and the feed are the same, most of what I have said about the writing experience of this pen should hold good for that. pen too. I think that pen is basically this pen - quality issues

Conclusion. A reliable pen made for daily use. One of those under 3 $ pens you would want in your collection. A smooth and fine writer and comfortable grip and balance. (Score 20.5 / 25).Great value for money. I recommend it..

Edited by mrmohitmishra

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrmohitmishra

• a_m

• Princeps Anglorum

• J_MM

Top Posters In This Topic

83 views and no inquiry, no comment, no reply!!!!!helllooo is anyone actually reading it... :unsure: :unsure: :wallbash: :wallbash: :headsmack: :headsmack:

Edited by mrmohitmishra

Thanks for the review.

I've seen the Doctor on Asapens and wondered about the quality. Any idea how this pen would compare to the Oliver Karma demonstrator or the Wality 69T?

John

Thanks for the review.

I've seen the Doctor on Asapens and wondered about the quality. Any idea how this pen would compare to the Oliver Karma demonstrator or the Wality 69T?

John

This is plastic (and has that characteristic smell). Wality 69T is resin & handmade (& I think much better). No idea about Oliver Karma. But Doctor pens have good nibs & feeds. (I use my Doctor pens for requirements of spare nibs and feeds :-)

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

Very nice review and sounds like a great (inexpensive) pen. I like that they are demonstrators.

Thanks for the review.

John

This is plastic (and has that characteristic smell). Wality 69T is resin & handmade (& I think much better). No idea about Oliver Karma. But Doctor pens have good nibs & feeds. (I use my Doctor pens for requirements of spare nibs and feeds :-)

Thanks for reply sir.

Very nice review and sounds like a great (inexpensive) pen. I like that they are demonstrators.

Yes they are

Sounds quite appealing. I just wonder if it's too big for my hands.

it fits in my wife's hand . She has normal hands.

Edited by mrmohitmishra

I just modified the post based upon your information. :) . Can you pls tell how to differentiate between plastic, raisin and acrylic

Edited by mrmohitmishra

I just modified the post based upon your information. :) . Can you pls tell how to differentiate between plastic, raisin and acrylic

Its a nice review - interesting comparison!

Plastic pens are fabricated - whereas resins / acrylics are handmade. Plastic pens have smell (but not the Lamy plastic). Acrylic pens also at times may have smell depending on quality of acrylic used. For example the Wality 69A is acrylic & handmade, but it has a terrible smell (I have only one 69A) - but the Oliver acrylics are pretty good. Whereas the transparent Walitys are resins are odorless.

I put my savings to test

Plastic pens are fabricated - whereas resins / acrylics are handmade. Plastic pens have smell (but not the Lamy plastic). Acrylic pens also at times may have smell depending on quality of acrylic used. For example the Wality 69A is acrylic & handmade, but it has a terrible smell (I have only one 69A) - but the Oliver acrylics are pretty good. Whereas the transparent Walitys are resins are odorless.

Thank you.

Learning from your reviews. Based on your recommendations I am going to buy a Wallity 69T. Do you have either Pilot Capless or Lamy 2000. Would you recommend them.

And moreover Anup Ji , with your experience in using Indian Fountain Pens, I request that you should do an article about best fountain pens available to an Indian buyer under Rs.2000. This would not only promote the sales of Indian Fountain Pens but would also act as a guide for those who wish to buy fountain pens Made in India. I have gone through many of your reviews on Indiapoint.net and I think you are one of the most equipped person to do the job. Please think over it. It would be a great help. Btw I have inquired about Lamy 2000 and Pilot Capless. I would buy Pilot. :)

Edited by mrmohitmishra

And moreover Anup Ji , with your experience in using Indian Fountain Pens, I request that you should do an article about best fountain pens available to an Indian buyer under Rs.2000. This would not only promote the sales of Indian Fountain Pens but would also act as a guide for those who wish to buy fountain pens Made in India. I have gone through many of your reviews on Indiapoint.net and I think you are one of the most equipped person to do the job. Please think over it. It would be a great help. Btw I have inquired about Lamy 2000 and Pilot Capless. I would buy Pilot. :)

You have chosen the right pen. Pilot capless is better. But you should also consider Pilot Decimo before making final decision - if you have extendible budget.

There are more knowledgeable persons on FP on this forum. I am only a practical user - not a pen collector (nor mad about pens) I have other interests as well :-)

Edited by a_m

I put my savings to test

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent review - and, ever since reading the draft thesis of an Indian PhD student I was sharing an office with many years ago, my heart lifts at the English style that comes from the subcontinent!

But "the pen hits a home run"? Surely you mean "it hits the ball into the pavilion"? :)

Edited by PDW

Excellent review - and, ever since reading the draft thesis of an Indian PhD student I was sharing an office with many years ago, my heart lifts at the English style that comes from the subcontinent!

But "the pen hits a home run"? Surely you mean "it hits the ball into the pavilion"? :)

Well of course! I definitely meant that. :-)

Thank you.

Edited by mrmohitmishra