Estie Nib Unit Disassembly Block

kidde

On more occasions than I like to think about, some Estie nibs need to be taken apart to clean out ink or worse. I've had two that appeared to have India ink and one that was definitely acrylic paint.

One of our Estie craftsmen uses a section set in acrylic, I used to make do with a wood block (only broke one collar).

THE POINT

I have quite a bit of 1/4" Lexan. I cut me a small piece, drilled and tapped two holes, and voilà!post-109411-0-92083400-1416369869_thumb.jpg

The tap is M7 ×.75.

Does anyone feel there may be need to make more? Do you think you could use one?

The block allows you to screw in the nibs with no trouble, yet holds the collar securely. I picked Lexan because I have some, but also for its slight elasticity. Basically it won't shatter like plexi-glas will.

Please post questions and comments to help me see if I should turn out a few more. Thanks.

Paul

"Nothing is impossible, even the word says 'I'm Possible!'" Audrey Hepburn

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kidde

• Brian Anderson

• FarmBoy

• estie1948

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just use an old section. I find it usually unneeded to take them apart.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I just use an old section. I find it usually unneeded to take them apart.

+1 After all these years dealing with Esterbrooks, I can honestly say that I find very few times when I need to take the nib and feed apart. I have tried it and failed more often than not due to breaking the collar. Paul, I salute you! I think you are a genius to have figured this method out. However, I do not find a need for it personally.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

I knew when they weren't offered for sale the demand would be low. I have a knack for buying pens that have sat long enough that rooting the feed channel is required just to force water through, so disassembly and a toothbrush save me quite a bit of soaking and sonicating. I'll check here for a while to see if anybody needs/wants one. With what you folks have given me a few pieces of plastic is nothing.

Paul

This is nice work. I find I have to take renew-points apart on a semi-regular basis for customers as an expensive nib is worth repairing. I'll have to see if I have that tap in my kit and make one as a backup. Using a section can cause them to break, which is why i went with this type of method myself.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

I would like one. And since you are not in it for the money, I offer to PIF a pen back to FPN in your name the first time I actually use it.

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]

This is nice work. I find I have to take renew-points apart on a semi-regular basis for customers as an expensive nib is worth repairing. I'll have to see if I have that tap in my kit and make one as a backup. Using a section can cause them to break, which is why i went with this type of method myself.

Hey Brian. I have the necessary material and the tools to make them. Could you PM me? I have a question and would like a little advice.

I would like one. And since you are not in it for the money, I offer to PIF a pen back to FPN in your name the first time I actually use it.

jaqcp, PM me your address. Thank you for being willing to help. This is exactly a PIF, but I don't want the credit. The FPN helped me to get to this point, they deserve full credit.

PAUL

Edited by kidde

Hello Paul,

I am just starting to dip my toes in the world of vintage pen repair/restoration and have decided to start with Esterbrook, (since everyone claims they're real easy to work on - but they don't know me :) ). I'll take one - I think it would be a useful item to have at my workbench. I've PM'ed my name and address. Thank you in advance for making the kind offer. :)

God bless,

Chris

Edited by LamyOne

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

THE POINT

I have quite a bit of 1/4" Lexan. I cut me a small piece, drilled and tapped two holes, and voilà!attachicon.gifWP_20141118_001.jpg

The tap is M7 ×.75.

Does anyone feel there may be need to make more? Do you think you could use one?

The block allows you to screw in the nibs with no trouble, yet holds the collar securely. I picked Lexan because I have some, but also for its slight elasticity. Basically it won't shatter like plexi-glas will.

Please post questions and comments to help me see if I should turn out a few more. Thanks.

Paul

Very nice engineering. The intriguing information is the tap specifications. Where does one find that kind of tap (certainly not in the local auctions where I've picked up most of my taps & dies)?

With a tap one could rework other pens to use renew points.

Paul you are genius!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I just stood on the shoulders of those before me. The only part I added was Lexan, and that's due to properties I found out about in the course of my job at that time.

I made a small run using what material I had and sent them out today. I hope those I sent them to find them as handy as I do. It feels good to give like others have for me.

Paul

It's a thought many have had before. This thread tells us the size is an odd one, 9/32-36, single start. This thread discusses a group buy of the tools, which ended in a flash. This site has some of the taps needed for sale. Sadly, IMO, they have only the tap, no die. Can't make new re-new points.

Yay for search engines!

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

I would love to have one of those myself. I've taken apart a couple of nibs, and fit some non-Esterbrook nibs into the collar. For a short time, I had a Sheaffer FeatherTouch in my icicle, and just fit an Esterbrook section into my Mysterioso pen with another unknown nib. You don't want to know how I did the work, but it turns out that the hole in the wooden-handled razor knife in my dad's old tools are a perfect fit when you lack a true knock out block.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul, is the offer still open? I just picked up a couple nibs that require a block. I'd be more than willing to reimburse you for it as I doubt any of my meager contributions have been worthwhile for you.

I'm sorry to say they are all spoken for. The last one will ship out tomorrow. If I make more I will keep you in mind.

Paul