I Don't Know Where To Ask This, But I Need Sheaffer Snorkel Parts

orangejuiceguy

Well i went and screwed up >.<
my ink sac broke(no idea how, it was fairly new i'm pretty sure) and i didn't get around to it, so somewhere along the line i managed to break the gold filler tube(the pen was a gold and black sheaffer snorkel... gold filler tube. i'm not sure what exact model it is, can't remember.
i don't know where to get replacement parts however... they sell sacs on ebay, but at this point i'm looking for a new spring, sac protector, sac, sac plug, and (gold) tube :S
i'm lost as of where to ask. this pen is setimental, and i want to get it back into working condition. i believe all the other parts of the pen are in good working order...even though i kind of listed everything in it.

one potato two potato three potato four

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• orangejuiceguy

• Ron Z

• kirchh

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i went and screwed up >.<

my ink sac broke(no idea how, it was fairly new i'm pretty sure) and i didn't get around to it, so somewhere along the line i managed to break the gold filler tube(the pen was a gold and black sheaffer snorkel... gold filler tube. i'm not sure what exact model it is, can't remember.

i don't know where to get replacement parts however... they sell sacs on ebay, but at this point i'm looking for a new spring, sac protector, sac, sac plug, and (gold) tube :S

i'm lost as of where to ask. this pen is setimental, and i want to get it back into working condition. i believe all the other parts of the pen are in good working order...even though i kind of listed everything in it.

Can you clarify? What didn't you get around to?

How did the Snorkel tube, spring, sac protector, and plug all get damaged?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Alright i went back and dug a little more;
it's a Sheaffer Statesman Snorkel, white dot, no gold on triumph nib, had a gold filler tube.black plastic and gold(plated?)clip and stuff..

If you were one of my board operators who called with equipment down, I'd be saying "take ten slow, deep breaths and calm down." It rather sounds like you broke your pen and are on a panic.

Daniel's question is valid - how did you break the pen. Why do you need the spring and all of the other parts in addition to the snorkel tube? Would you like to send some pictures? It may not be as bad as you think, it might be worse. If you broke it fiddling around with it, do you have a reasonable expectation that you could fix it yourself, or perhaps would you be better letting someone with more experience fix it for you? Trying to fix it yourself might compound the problem.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Can you clarify? What didn't you get around to?

How did the Snorkel tube, spring, sac protector, and plug all get damaged?

--Daniel

I was being stupid, didn't have the disassembled pen in a bag, probably fell on the floor, found the tube basically in half. spring was rusting, and the ink sac was basically gooed to the inside of the sac protector; if there's someway to get it off i can spare that, and if there's some way to save the plug (the tube was having troubles staying in the plug) i can save that too and just would need a tube, spring, and sac. the sac burst a while ago i suppose(based from it being gooed to the sac protector and hard to get out) if i can still use the partially rusting spring. the tube can't be replaced however. i need a new tube and sac for sure.

it happened a while ago, and i decided it was time to get around to fixing it. it's not like it has nib problems; so it shouldn't be a difficult difficult fix.

Edited by pingo5

We all clean the goo out of the old sac guard, there isn't a magical hidden source of new ones. You can try a number of things but it is never fun.

Try a wire brush and some WD-40 on the spring. To clean the inside of the spring use a bore brush. You can remove the oil residue with iso-propanol.

Buy plug, I'm guessing you mean the point seal. You should just replace the seals.

FB

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

We all clean the goo out of the old sac guard, there isn't a magical hidden source of new ones. You can try a number of things but it is never fun.

Try a wire brush and some WD-40 on the spring. To clean the inside of the spring use a bore brush. You can remove the oil residue with iso-propanol.

Buy plug, I'm guessing you mean the point seal. You should just replace the seals.

FB

i'm pretty sure the point seal goes into the nib section; i'm going to pull another problem out and say i can't find the plug that the sac attaches to and goes into the sac protector.

thanks for the advice on cleaning those though! that crossed a few things off the list of what i need.

but as you said, probably best to get new seals also.

yet another edit; No oring at top. not sure if there's supposed to be one there.

Edited by pingo5

What worries me is that you want to repair this pen yourself, but have a lot of "I think" statements in your posts. Don't even try repairing the pen until you know what is what, and how it should be fixed. There are lots of resources with correct information on line.

Better yet, don't do it yourself. It doesn't matter to me who you send the pen to but please, rather than risk screwing up a pen let alone one with sentimental value, send it to a qualified pen mechanic. There are lots of people who can do a good job restoring the pen.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

What Ron said. Snorkels are not exceptionally difficult to restore, except (and it's a big EXCEPT) there are a lot of ways to screw up the job. A pen with sentimental value deserves to be restored by someone who knows exactly how to do it and has restored a bunch of them. Send it out, you'll be glad you did.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I also need section unit of a Snorkel Fountain Pen..

It was broken around 25 years ago :) I tried to mantle it with epoxy, but failed..

The material is so weak to glue the broken parts..

If I can not find an original one, I ll try to make it on lathe.. The only matter is to open four channels (in top hole) for sac protection unit.. I hope I can find...

logo100x50.png

Exclusive Writing Instruments

http://www.kilk.ist # instagram@kilk_kalem

Istanbul/Turkey

Epoxy wouldn't be the material to use to repair a snorkel section. There isn't enough contact area for epoxy to hold. The best thing to do is to solvent weld using a solvent containing methylene chloride.

For those who need replacement parts, basic snorkels are still fairly inexpensive. Sections can be used for both open nib and Triumph nib pens, so donors aren't hard to come by.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

I will attest to the good sense of sending it out. I tried restoring a Snorkel, and I ended up with a parts pen. I gave it away. I am AOK with that.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Epoxy wouldn't be the material to use to repair a snorkel section. There isn't enough contact area for epoxy to hold. The best thing to do is to solvent weld using a solvent containing methylene chloride.

For those who need replacement parts, basic snorkels are still fairly inexpensive. Sections can be used for both open nib and Triumph nib pens, so donors aren't hard to come by.

true.

now the problem is costs. i don't believe that i would be able to afford a repairman :P i got a job now, but only being able to work weekends i don't get that much money.

i'm sure at this point it won't be cheap anyways.

Pingo5:

I live in Martinsburg, WV. I can help. Email me at: tim@timgirdlerpens.com and put the phrase "FPN Snorkel" in the subject line.

Blessings,

Tim

Tim Girdler Pens  (Nib Tuning; Custom Nib Grinding; New & Vintage Pen Sales)
The Fountain Pen: An elegant instrument for a more civilized age.
I Write With: Any one of my assortment of Parker "51"s or Vacumatics