Pens Complimentary To Pelikans

dornblaser

I am returning to FPs with renewed interested after using sparingly for the last 15 or so years. I hope that this is an appropriate questions for the Pelikan Forum: what non-Pelikan pens do you use to compliment your Pelikans?

Edited by dornblaser

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• risingsun

• dornblaser

• The Blue Knight

• oregano

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my non Pelikan Pens are quite rude to my Pelikans and tend to not complement them, jealousy I'm quite sure!

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

To actually answer your question, I think my Montblanc, Lamy, and Visconti pens complement my Pelikans quite nicely. Each brand brings it's own nice features to the table and gives me a nice variety of writing experiences.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

There are non-Pelikan fountain pens? Now you tell me. Actually, a TWSBI 580 and Parker 51 go along nicely.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Lamy 2000 (EF), Pilot Custom Heritage 92 (F, FM, FM). The Pilot is very similar in size to my Pelikan M605. I have a few TWSBI pens (F, EF) as well, but the steel nibs aren't as smooth.

I own Lamy, Kaweco and Rotring as "non-Pelikan" pens. But I really think that complements very well is a Conway Stewart 84 that I got last january. The nib has a nice flex, like vintage Pelikan pens.

I would like to see you add a Reform 1745 to your collection.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thank you for the replies. A couple of the pens, the Taylorix and the Reform 1745 are pens that are new to me.

I carry 3 writing instruments everyday: 1 larger piston filler (146, M800), 1 smaller parker (51, 61) and a mechanical pencil (rotring 600, twsbi precision). with two different nib sizes, I feel this covers my bases adequately.

I am a sucker for the design of the Pelikans from the 30's through the 70s, when suddenly a pen became a personal statement of achievement and position or even 'jewelry'!

I complement my modest collection of Pelikans (and the later Pelikanos) from these years with German pens of the people/school pens of the same periods: Senator, Geha, Reform, ERO, Soennecken, Montblanc and nameless pens with design style. I have just received a nameless 1938 piston fill with wonderful embossing (no gold or much metal because 'Don't you know there's a war on?') which was one of those NOS found in an old suitcase with a copy of The Hamburger Abendblatt from 1944.

I also collect Pelikan ephemera: ads, folders. blotters, postcards, a toy truck, and perhaps an ashtray.

I point out that I am doing this on a limited budget and do not buy the art editions or special collector's items. I am interested in pens of the people.

Dick

Edited by Dickkooty2

Vintage Geha 725.....a pure class pen...rolled gold trim..medium-long thin pen..semi-flex. Made from the '60's-72. Was designed to stomp MB....Did too.

Sigh, did the Pelikans too. :rolleyes:

Is one of my three perfectly balanced pens....I really to to update that list. :blush:

Only comes in black and gold....so you don't need to buy a black and gold Pelikan.

In Pelikan has no nib like it...complements them.

Permission of Penboard.de

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/Goldschwingnib-2.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What about Diplomat, A pen brand that isn't as well known however as a very good reputation for pens. If you ignore the Pelikan Traditional range the lines of Diplomat and Pelikan are quite similar in terms of design in the same way at Faber Castell, rotring, Lamy and Online have a very similar modern approach to there pens.

There is also cleo skribent that has a similar look to the traditional series.

Edited by The Blue Knight

in terms of nibs, +1 on Montblanc, vintage or modern. Different enough to complement Pelikans, same quality. I could see Japanese pens working that way too, though don't own any.

in terms of design, for me Conway Stewart complements them (in my head at least :)