Ok, I Want A Vacumatic...

sirgilbert357

Parker Vacumatics are made of celluloid, not lucite.

Okay. My version is a nicer story, anyway. And, if it isn't 100 % true, it ought to be.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• Brian-McQueen

• Apothic

• SockAddict

--I almost always prefer shorter pens, so 5 inches capped is usually my target. I guess I need to do a bit more research, but from what I understand, the Debutante and Sub-Deb fall in this range, right? Maybe the Junior is pretty close too...

--For thickness, I'm not too concerned with body diameter, but my sweet spot for the grip section is .35 to .39 inches. I have no idea how big Vacs usually are in this respect. I'm hoping I'm not disappointed...

Oh my goodness, I've been pointing you in the wrong direction! Debutantes, Sub-Debs, and early Juniors (all the ones I pictured earlier) are about 4 3/4" in length. I was going off a measurement I read online instead of actually measuring one for myself.

If you want a 5" pen with a .35" to .39" gripping section and double jewels, you want a 1st Generation Standard size. They are between 5" and 5.1" in length (depending on the machinist that day) and have a gripping section of about .36 inches. This pen will have a lockdown filler, two-tone nib, arrow clip, and striped jewels. There is Golden Pearl in this design, but not Azure Pearl.

15638707719_20d49f4644_h.jpg

If you don't care about double jewels and want a pen with a non-lockdown filler, you have a couple of choices.

The first choice is a 2nd Generation Junior. This pen will be 5" in length with a gripping section of .34" to .4" depending on where you grip it. The pen will have a metal speedline filler, single tone nib, a "split arrow" clip, and a striped top jewel. The bottom jewel will appear to be black, but is actually concentric circles of black and striped celluloid. Azure Pearl and Golden Pearl can both be found in this style.

15639676650_78f3c8c323_h.jpg

The second choice is a 3rd Generation Junior or Major. These pens will be 5" in length with a gripping section of .34" to .4" depending on where you grip it. The pen will have a plastic plunger, single tone nib, and a black cap jewel. Juniors will have a "split arrow" clip, and Majors will have a Blue Diamond clip. Azure Pearl and Golden Pearl can both be found in this style. Top picture is Juniors, bottom picture is Majors.

15639347637_3415cd76e5_h.jpg

15800868946_f5a96bc368_o.jpg

Your cheapest option is going to be the 3rd Generation Juniors. Your second cheapest option is going to be a toss-up between 3rd Generation Majors and 2nd Generation Juniors. The most expensive option is going to be a 1st Generation Standard.

Edited by BrianMcQueen

Brian McQueen:

Wait! I should clarify something: the *largest* I would want a pen is 5 inches capped. I'm perfectly OK with them being smaller. This is all because of how they sit in my dress shirt pockets and because, generally speaking, the shorter the pen is capped, the shorter it is posted. And yes, I prefer to post all of my pens, even though it will show wear eventually. So, there we go...but your most recent post is helpful too because now I have a broader scope of the sizes that are out there. it's also just interesting to know this info about Vacumatics in general.

Edit: So, re-reading the above post, I think my preference for the 5 inch group would be the second gen juniors with the metal speed line filling system. I'll go back and re-read your previous posts and decide on a 4 3/4 sized variant to target in my searches. This has been supremely helpful, thank you Brian!

Edit 2: goodness mercy me!! That Azure Pearl one in the last pic is stunning. Just end this madness and sell it to me. Lol.

Edited by sirgilbert357

Okay. My version is a nicer story, anyway. And, if it isn't 100 % true, it ought to be.

Can we agree to disagree here? Lol...cause I've never seen Lucite that lasted beyond 10 years that still looked good, let alone beautiful. Not to mention the visual effect of the Vacs could likely have never been achieved with something as 2 dimensional as Lucite.

Edit: So, re-reading the above post, I think my preference for the 5 inch group would be the second gen juniors with the metal speed line filling system. I'll go back and re-read your previous posts and decide on a 4 3/4 sized variant to target in my searches. This has been supremely helpful, thank you Brian!

The one that most closely matches it in the 4 3/4 sized variants are the Debutanes and Sub-Debs. Your cap band style, of course, will change.

Edit 2: goodness mercy me!! That Azure Pearl one in the last pic is stunning. Just end this madness and sell it to me. Lol.

I might have one in very similar condition that I can part with if you want to send me a PM.

Can we agree to disagree here? Lol...cause I've never seen Lucite that lasted beyond 10 years that still looked good, let alone beautiful. Not to mention the visual effect of the Vacs could likely have never been achieved with something as 2 dimensional as Lucite.

Actually, Parker 51s were made from Lucite. They have lasted wonderfully through the years with the exception of a few early colors (they were still trying to figure out the best formulas for such a new plastic). The other point holds true, though. There's no way Lucite could match the beauty of Vacumatic celluloid.

Edited by BrianMcQueen

The one that most closely matches it in the 4 3/4 sized variants are the Debutanes and Sub-Debs. Your cap band style, of course, will change.

I might have one in very similar condition that I can part with if you want to send me a PM.

Actually, Parker 51s were made from Lucite. They have lasted wonderfully through the years with the exception of a few early colors (they were still trying to figure out the best formulas for such a new plastic). The other point holds true, though. There's no way Lucite could match the beauty of Vacumatic celluloid.

PM inbound momentarily!

Doh!! Well, I stand corrected then...but you should see the headlights on my car, LOL. I'm betting Parker was using better quality back then...

I too fell in love with the blue pearl vacs. I even put a WTT in the Classifieds hoping to trade a couple of my Esterbrooks for a Blue Pearl vac. I had a few nibbles but no deal yet.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

John L

It's funny - I found this thread after looking at 51's online. Why so? I had to go past several Vac's to get to the 51's and it reminded me of how beautiful they are. They were one of the first pens I lusted after when I got hooked on fountain pens. That reminds me - haven't ever got one :rolleyes: D'oh - now I need to start saving!

In the mid-1930's, DuPont developed the first acrylic, synthetic polymer plastic. They called it Lucite. In Britain,

it was called Plexiglas. We used it in aircraft windshields and canopies. It was a huge advantage to a pilot that

his windshield did not shatter into jagged glass shards when struck.

The Parker Vacumatic body is Lucite. It was lightweight, strong, and transparent. The thin-walled body allowed

large, visible ink capacity. Lucite's strength and corrosion resistance leave us, 70 years later, with Vacumaics

in excellent condition. Small wonder that Parker was king of the fountain pen world.

Is this some kind of joke? I've seen this post numerous times.

www.pen-deco.com

Is this some kind of joke? I've seen this post numerous times.

Misinformation spreads amuck thanks to the internet. On a watch forum I frequent there seems to be the same problem with "Water Resistance"...everyone thinks a Dive Watch rated to 300 meters will self-destruct the moment its worn in the shower and comes in contact with soap, LMAO...its such a problem there's a pinned thread debunking this kind of misinformation.

It's funny - I found this thread after looking at 51's online. Why so? I had to go past several Vac's to get to the 51's and it reminded me of how beautiful they are. They were one of the first pens I lusted after when I got hooked on fountain pens. That reminds me - haven't ever got one :rolleyes: D'oh - now I need to start saving!

Saving?? PSH, its almost Christmas, be greedy and have someone gift one to you! LOL

Misinformation spreads amuck thanks to the internet. On a watch forum I frequent there seems to be the same problem with "Water Resistance"...everyone thinks a Dive Watch rated to 300 meters will self-destruct the moment its worn in the shower and comes in contact with soap, LMAO...its such a problem there's a pinned thread debunking this kind of misinformation.

I have always wondered what happens when you get to 300meters + 1mm :unsure:

Peter

Saving?? PSH, its almost Christmas, be greedy and have someone gift one to you! LOL

Already have a platinum 3776 century nice in the closet lol.

I'm thinking of adding just one to my accumulation, is it the Major or the Maxima that I should look for if I want the largest nib?

The largest nib you will find is going to be in the Oversize or the Maxima. They are approximately the same size nib.

Thank you, going to take my time to find a blue or silver one then......

Already have a platinum 3776 century nice in the closet lol.

Oh, you're baaaad!! Or lucky...not sure which. My wife would kill me if I got myself two pens for Christmas! LOL.

One side-benefit of the Vac is what happens when you hold it up to sunlight. Magic.

I love mine. But it doesn't have that magic though. I wonder if the inside it just too stained. But I want one with the dramatic color change between the dark, light and window layers like some of the above.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version