Ok, I Want A Vacumatic...

sirgilbert357

I was absolutely convinced that I didn't want a Vac at all (the standard striped ones were very Art Deco-y to me) -- until I saw someone's Azure Blue Pearl. Then I was hooked. And hooked but good. I now have four: 2nd quarter 1947 Azure Blue Pearl Sub-Debutante; 1st quarter 1946 Silver Pearl Major, a 2nd quarter 1939 (?) or 1949 (?) currently not-yet-repaired grey Shadow Wave Debutante, and a brown Shadow Wave Debutante that's a Speedline filler (the other three all have the plastic plunger); the date code on that one is worn off, but I've narrowed down the time frame to between 1938 and 1942, due to the size and color, and because '42 is apparently when Parker switched over to the plastic plungers from the aluminum ones. The best deal was on the Silver Pearl -- gotten off Ebay and it was in working condition. I think I paid around $50 US with shipping last year. I'm pretty sure mine are all F nibs, with the possible exception of the brown, which *might* be an EF -- hard to tell, since I'm writing with ink that was still in the pen when I bought it, diluted with distilled water from when I went to see if it was actually working. Dunno what the ink is, but it's a very nice bright blue. Trying to decide what to put in it next (I've had pretty good luck with De Atramentis inks -- Red Roses in the Azure Blue Pearl, and Tchaikowsky/Silver Grey in the Silver Pearl). I was worried at first that they would be uncomfortable to hold because the sections are really small compared to those of some other pens, but they're actually okay -- while you do sort of hit up against the threads, it's not all that bad (and this from someone who will not EVER buy a Lamy Safari because of the triangular grip).

The thing I like most about Vacs is how much ink they hold. Not sure of the capacity, but that Major definitely holds more ink than anything else I have. One caveat, though -- they are a PITA to flush out if you want to switch inks up a lot -- simply because of the amount of inks that they do hold.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• Brian-McQueen

• Apothic

• SockAddict

I was absolutely convinced that I didn't want a Vac at all (the standard striped ones were very Art Deco-y to me) -- until I saw someone's Azure Blue Pearl. Then I was hooked. And hooked but good. I now have four: 2nd quarter 1947 Azure Blue Pearl Sub-Debutante; 1st quarter 1946 Silver Pearl Major, a 2nd quarter 1939 (?) or 1949 (?) currently not-yet-repaired grey Shadow Wave Debutante, and a brown Shadow Wave Debutante that's a Speedline filler (the other three all have the plastic plunger); the date code on that one is worn off, but I've narrowed down the time frame to between 1938 and 1942, due to the size and color, and because '42 is apparently when Parker switched over to the plastic plungers from the aluminum ones. The best deal was on the Silver Pearl -- gotten off Ebay and it was in working condition. I think I paid around $50 US with shipping last year. I'm pretty sure mine are all F nibs, with the possible exception of the brown, which *might* be an EF -- hard to tell, since I'm writing with ink that was still in the pen when I bought it, diluted with distilled water from when I went to see if it was actually working. Dunno what the ink is, but it's a very nice bright blue. Trying to decide what to put in it next (I've had pretty good luck with De Atramentis inks -- Red Roses in the Azure Blue Pearl, and Tchaikowsky/Silver Grey in the Silver Pearl). I was worried at first that they would be uncomfortable to hold because the sections are really small compared to those of some other pens, but they're actually okay -- while you do sort of hit up against the threads, it's not all that bad (and this from someone who will not EVER buy a Lamy Safari because of the triangular grip).

The thing I like most about Vacs is how much ink they hold. Not sure of the capacity, but that Major definitely holds more ink than anything else I have. One caveat, though -- they are a PITA to flush out if you want to switch inks up a lot -- simply because of the amount of inks that they do hold.

Yeah, the Azure Blue Pearl is what I'm most interested in, but that Golden Pearl is right up there. I'm going to try to hold myself to just two of these, so I have to be picky about the colors (attempting to hold my entire collection to 10 pens or less, so yeah...). I don't know how this will play out, but the hunt has begun...I've found a gorgeous green one fully restored, well within budget, with a fantastic perfect nib, but, well...its the wrong color. So I'm going to pass on it, but I wonder if I'll regret it eventually, LOL...

Yeah, the Azure Blue Pearl is what I'm most interested in, but that Golden Pearl is right up there. I'm going to try to hold myself to just two of these, so I have to be picky about the colors (attempting to hold my entire collection to 10 pens or less, so yeah...). I don't know how this will play out, but the hunt has begun...I've found a gorgeous green one fully restored, well within budget, with a fantastic perfect nib, but, well...its the wrong color. So I'm going to pass on it, but I wonder if I'll regret it eventually, LOL...

Well, once you start down the Vac path, abandon all intentions of holding yourself to just two. The good news is there are a lot of vacs out there in the wild. I found two in the last few months and that was without looking seriously. The last one was a bit unusual - a silver pearl major, 1945 with a "stacked coin" cap band. It restored nicely and in is my pocket right now. I think I paid $8.00 for it and was out only the cost of a diaphragm for the restoration.

My best advice is to learn vac restoration and buy a good vac wrench. They are not usually all that difficult to restore and you can occasionally get a great, dare I say sumgai deal on an unrestored vac.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Haha...what was that website again?? Might need to S-P-E-L-L it out?

Ahem, yes... we won't go into all that right now. Penrivers was trying to point you here.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

If you want a pen that's around 5 inches capped, you want to stick to 1st generation Junior or Slender, and 2nd/3rd generation Debutantes and Sub-Debs. Here are some pictures with explanations...

Left to right:

1st Generation Junior. Does not come in your typical striped colors. This is the brown version.

1st Generation Slender. Comes in Black, Silver, Brown, and Burgundy. Does not come in Azure.

2nd Generation Debutante. This one has a special wider smooth cap band. Not catalogued.

2nd Generation Debutante. This is the normal Debutante cap band. Comes in Black, Silver, Brown, Burgundy, and Azure.

3rd Generation Debutante. Comes in Black, Silver, Brown, and Azure. Canadian Burgundies can be found.

3rd Generation Sub-Deb. Comes in Black, Silver, Brown, and Azure. Canadian Burgundies can be found.

Note that there is also a double jeweled Sub-Deb. I forgot to include it in the picture.

15196267093_6846aece27_h.jpg

Nib comparison. Left is 1st Generation Slender, right is Debutante/Sub-Deb/Junior

15196267583_160745b12d_h.jpg

1st Generation Junior and 3rd Generation Debutante size comparison with standard Sharpie and BIC pen.

15630294848_73865c41c8_h.jpg

I don't blame you for wanting a Vacumatic. They are amazing.

You are going to love the Vacumatic. It's my all time favourite pen (so far). My own, very low user grade model in golden pearl, is out there somewhere on its way to some very kind gentlemen who are going to attempt a resurrection on her. She maybe old and used but she is still a champ. And that nib... ooh la la! I think I may be the only person around who really prefers the golden pearl colour to the others. Though I wouldn't mind eyeballing a blue one at some point. Bit unlikely to happen but there it is.

Nope, you're not alone. Golden Pearl is what hooked me on Vacs.. bought one and sold it because the nib wasn't particularly interesting and it was far too small (I think it was probably a deb, looking back on it). I am now shopping for a Major in GP because I need to scratch the itch again!

Pics or it didn't happen!! Sounds like a gorgeous pen...

It happened.

Pardon the ink splatter and the quality of the photo - super duper quick and dirty pic between students.

Jeweler's band is always dirty. I have no idea why it gets tarnished so fast.

post-115445-0-01522000-1416290117_thumb.jpg

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Well, once you start down the Vac path, abandon all intentions of holding yourself to just two. The good news is there are a lot of vacs out there in the wild. I found two in the last few months and that was without looking seriously. The last one was a bit unusual - a silver pearl major, 1945 with a "stacked coin" cap band. It restored nicely and in is my pocket right now. I think I paid $8.00 for it and was out only the cost of a diaphragm for the restoration.

My best advice is to learn vac restoration and buy a good vac wrench. They are not usually all that difficult to restore and you can occasionally get a great, dare I say sumgai deal on an unrestored vac.

I really don't want to become a collector though...I'm pretty sure I can hold myself to just one or two Vacs. If I were to buy a wrench and get into restoring them, I'd need a source for ones in need of repair and I don't see cheap ones (especially not 8.00 bucks!!!!) anywhere. I'll try to hit up antique stores and the like, but I've never had any luck with that in the past. I get told that the "regulars" already snapped up all the fountain pens. EBay is pretty much my main source, sadly. I just need to know I'd be able to make my money back restoring them if I start buying tools and diaphragms, etc. Where did you find the two you got?

Wow, BrianMcQueen, that's a good looking collection!! Thanks for the info, I will apply it right away in my searches.

Ink-syringe: another good looking pen; great score! I'd be proud of it too. Looks like it writes a nice line too...

Nope, you're not alone. Golden Pearl is what hooked me on Vacs.. bought one and sold it because the nib wasn't particularly interesting and it was far too small (I think it was probably a deb, looking back on it). I am now shopping for a Major in GP because I need to scratch the itch again!

Well if you find a Debutante (or any model at or close to 5 inches) in GP in your searches, shoot me a PM!

I really don't want to become a collector though...I'm pretty sure I can hold myself to just one or two Vacs. If I were to buy a wrench and get into restoring them, I'd need a source for ones in need of repair and I don't see cheap ones (especially not 8.00 bucks!!!!) anywhere. I'll try to hit up antique stores and the like, but I've never had any luck with that in the past. I get told that the "regulars" already snapped up all the fountain pens. EBay is pretty much my main source, sadly. I just need to know I'd be able to make my money back restoring them if I start buying tools and diaphragms, etc. Where did you find the two you got?

I'm not a collector, in the true sense of the word, unlike the good Dr. Isaacson. But, I am an inveterate accumulator of fountain pens. I write nearly exclusively with fountain pens and tend toward vintage pens. I snap up pretty much any pen I believe to be a bargain and am always going to sell some but never do. The last several pens I ran across were from a small antique shop in Pawnee Rock, KS, a very small town in the west central part of the state. I stop there several times a year and the owner knows what I'm looking for. Last trip was the aforementioned vac and a Sheaffer OS balance in black, lever filler with a nice fine nib; also $8.00. The OS Balance was well used but not abused and it cleaned up well - it is also in my pocket. Both pens are what I would call user grade but great writing pens - which is what I'm looking for.

If you want to find pens in antique shops, you need to either be lucky or forge a relationship with the shop owner. In the shop I mentioned above, I try to buy all the fountain pens she has at any time if the price is reasonable and the pens are even close to salvaging. I have passed on completely worn out Wearevers and the like - but others I buy and figure the $$ even out over time. I also show her the restored pens if I happen to have them with me on the next visit. She has my card and contact info. so she can call if she happens upon a real find. I've also had pretty good luck at estate auctions in out of the way places; not every auction is a winner but occasionally you hit a real jackpot. You have to be patient hunting pens in the wild.

Good luck!

Edited by Kelly G

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

@ Kelly G:

That's making me think that sometime next month I should wander back down to the antiques shop where I found my first Snorkel, to show the woman in there what it's like now that it's been restored and is working.

I remember when I went in the place there were a bunch of pens (mostly clic BPs) in a case on the counter with stuff piled on top of the case so I couldn't see what all was in it. She was helping this guy who came in right after me (his hobby was apparently repairing old clocks). So I wandered around the place for a while and then managed to get her attention. Pulled out the first pen and got told "It's a Sheaffer Snorkel". "Uh, no, not really...." (IIRC, it was some Sheaffer school pen). But then took the cap off the second pen. And got really excited when I saw the feed. It was a bit more than I had paid for some pens at that point (we're talking a couple of years ago at this point), but still within reason. I was weighing my options mentally (well, it's *got* a 14K nib on it, and it *is* a Snorkel of some flavor...." Then the woman said "And everything in the store is 25% for Christmas." That took me all of about 5 seconds....

Sold.... :rolleyes:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Kelly G:

OK, yes, I see what you mean about being a collector vs. accumulator. I guess I'm just a "user", which is a step below accumulator. I just want a really, really nice Vacumatic (or maybe two) and then I'd be happy. Since I'm holding the total pen collection to ten, I can't use up too many spots with multiples of the same pen! Lol.

I'm not a collector, in the true sense of the word, unlike the good Dr. Isaacson. But, I am an inveterate accumulator of fountain pens. I write nearly exclusively with fountain pens and tend toward vintage pens. I snap up pretty much any pen I believe to be a bargain and am always going to sell some but never do.

This sounds just like me. I have QUITE a few pens I need to get rid of. I just tell myself "It's a bargain!" and buy it...

Wow, BrianMcQueen, that's a good looking collection!! Thanks for the info, I will apply it right away in my searches.

I hope I helped you out some. What style do you think you're leaning toward? Slender, Junior, Debutante, Sub-Deb? Single Jewel or Double Jewel?

What kind of point are you looking for? XF, F, M, B, Stub, Oblique?

Well, these Vacumatics are new to me, so this may change after I learn more or buy my first, but right now:

--I know I want Azure Blue or Golden Pearl.

--I almost always prefer shorter pens, so 5 inches capped is usually my target. I guess I need to do a bit more research, but from what I understand, the Debutante and Sub-Deb fall in this range, right? Maybe the Junior is pretty close too...

--For thickness, I'm not too concerned with body diameter, but my sweet spot for the grip section is .35 to .39 inches. I have no idea how big Vacs usually are in this respect. I'm hoping I'm not disappointed...

--I like jewels better than none, but for this pen, I can live with whatever configuration it comes with. I DO think the striped jewels are sweet though.

--Nib size: well I usually prefer mediums, but I'd totally get a fine if everything else was to my liking. Nibs can always be customized to a point...

In the mid-1930's, DuPont developed the first acrylic, synthetic polymer plastic. They called it Lucite. In Britain,

it was called Plexiglas. We used it in aircraft windshields and canopies. It was a huge advantage to a pilot that

his windshield did not shatter into jagged glass shards when struck.

The Parker Vacumatic body is Lucite. It was lightweight, strong, and transparent. The thin-walled body allowed

large, visible ink capacity. Lucite's strength and corrosion resistance leave us, 70 years later, with Vacumaics

in excellent condition. Small wonder that Parker was king of the fountain pen world.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

One side-benefit of the Vac is what happens when you hold it up to sunlight. Magic.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

One side-benefit of the Vac is what happens when you hold it up to sunlight. Magic.

You're referring to how they are transparent in the middle? Guess it would be magic if it hasn't ambered so bad that you can't see through it, lol. That's another thing that is important to me: I don't want a heavily ambered one. I may have to lower my expectations a bit, or raise the budget!