Ok, I Want A Vacumatic...

sirgilbert357

Call me ignorant to the world of Parker, but I've just stumbled upon pics of vintage Vacumatics and I am blown away. The "thin lines" of celluloid are just gorgeous! I've heard of the model "Vacumatic" and seen it mentioned in posts and what not, but I never bothered to google pics of them or anything. For better or worse, this might just change the entire direction of my Christmas shopping, LOL. I was pretty settled on getting a Sailor Sapporo due to the gold nib and reputation they have for nib smoothness. But I am considering scrapping that and finding a Vacumatic that has a decent body but needs restoration and then sending it off to Danny Fudge (who I keep seeing mentioned as a go-to guy for Vacumatic restoral). I don't know ALL the different colors they were offered in, but I'm leaning towards a blue or the golden color. Are there others I should be aware of; or where can I go to see a list of all the colors they came in so I can pick the one I like best?

I'd also like to know what version should a noob like me be buying as a first Vacumatic? I see there's a lockdowns, speedlines, and some are made with more metal parts than others, etc. I'm not sure which ones are the most durable, but that's likely what I would lean towards. And I want a gold nib if that's possible within my budget (150 or less). I'm also OK buying one already fully restored, but it seems like it might be cheaper to get the body and nib I want and just pay to have it restored. Sorry if this is just a massive heap of word vomit with no real direction, but I all of a sudden have so many questions and don't want to start like 5 threads, lol...

Cliff's Notes:

I want a Vacumatic!

What colors did they come in?

Which ones are most durable/have the most internal metal parts?

What's more cost effective on a 150 dollar budget: buy one that needs some love and have it restored, or buy one already fully restored from someone that has a good rep on FPN--and if the latter of those, who should I buy from?

Can I get a gold nib in my price range?

For sizes, I prefer something right at 5 inches capped or less, so which models should I be looking at? It seems like there are SO many variations!

These are postable right?

Sorry to dump so many questions into one thread, and yeah, I *could* google some of this and probably will, but I'd much rather have discourse with folks that know these pens inside and out and can educate me a bit.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• Brian-McQueen

• Apothic

• SockAddict

Oh, and how plentiful are new nibs if I find the perfect pen body and everything, but I just want to swap the nib (like from a fine to a medium, or from a regular nib to a 14k gold one)?

First of all...all Parker Vacumatics have 14k gold nibs. Second, if you want a 5 inches long pen, then you will probably want to go with the Vacumatic Major, post-1940s, which is the most common model, and comes in either Azure Pearl, Emerald Pearl, Silver Pearl, Burgundy Pearl (..but this is kind of a rare color in the post-1940s pens) and Golden Pearl. There aren't many metal parts inside a Vacumatic; the fillers made during WWII are mostly plastic (conservation of precious resources), so I would go with a 1941 or post-1945 pen, which will have a metal filler. I would recommend having a chat with Ryan (farmersmums here on the forum), he's very kind and communicative and sells these beautiful pens for quite low prices!

For more info you should check http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/profiles/vac.htm and as for extra nibs, see here http://fivestarpens.com/parker_nibs.html ; although it is quite challenging to switch the nib without the proper tools!

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

First of all...all Parker Vacumatics have 14k gold nibs. Second, if you want a 5 inches long pen, then you will probably want to go with the Vacumatic Major, post-1940s, which is the most common model, and comes in either Azure Pearl, Emerald Pearl, Silver Pearl, Burgundy Pearl (..but this is kind of a rare color in the post-1940s pens) and Golden Pearl. There aren't many metal parts inside a Vacumatic; the fillers made during WWII are mostly plastic (conservation of precious resources), so I would go with a 1941 or post-1945 pen, which will have a metal filler. I would recommend having a chat with Ryan (farmersmums here on the forum), he's very kind and communicative and sells these beautiful pens for quite low prices!

For more info you should check http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/profiles/vac.htm and as for extra nibs, see here http://fivestarpens.com/parker_nibs.html ; although it is quite challenging to switch the nib without the proper tools!

Wow. Very helpful. Thank you. I love all the information on Richardspens.com. That is just what I needed. And I'll reach out to "farmersmums" too. Thanks. Surprised there weren't more responses to this...I thought the Vacumatics had a bit of a cult following?

You are going to love the Vacumatic. It's my all time favourite pen (so far). My own, very low user grade model in golden pearl, is out there somewhere on its way to some very kind gentlemen who are going to attempt a resurrection on her. She maybe old and used but she is still a champ. And that nib... ooh la la! I think I may be the only person around who really prefers the golden pearl colour to the others. Though I wouldn't mind eyeballing a blue one at some point. Bit unlikely to happen but there it is.

You are going to love the Vacumatic. It's my all time favourite pen (so far). My own, very low user grade model in golden pearl, is out there somewhere on its way to some very kind gentlemen who are going to attempt a resurrection on her. She maybe old and used but she is still a champ. And that nib... ooh la la! I think I may be the only person around who really prefers the golden pearl colour to the others. Though I wouldn't mind eyeballing a blue one at some point. Bit unlikely to happen but there it is.

Those are the only two colors I'm considering. The Azure Blue Pearl and Golden Pearl. Great minds think alike, I guess. I'm thinking I want a Debutante for the size (under 5 inches) and I'd prefer it in a Speedline, not lockdown...I'm starting to get a handle on what I want...I think.

There's so many variations, its ridiculous! LOL. I also want metal innards, so a 1940 or 41 would be my target I think...

1942 Golden Pearl Stub with Jeweler's Band, rivers of ink. My best pen ever.

Like a jerk I run around and show it to everyone like I made it myself. I adore it. Keep it filed with Waterman Florida Blue.

(Vacs are bit more work to clean, choose your first ink carefully b/c you are probably going to want to go a couple fills before cleaning it again)

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Vacumatics are very collectible fountain pens. I warn you, though, Vacumatics tend to come with friends. On a $150 budget you can find a nice piece, maybe even double jeweled. Start with a Major '42+ and work your way up while learning about their history. Don't worry about metal components right now. As long as you don't turn the plunger and have patience, these pens are real work horses out in the field.

www.pen-deco.com

Conect www.(bleep).com, and talk by phone with David Issacson, he will kindly advice you according to your budget and tastes in vacumatics.

Haha...what was that website again?? Might need to S-P-E-L-L it out?

Vacumatics are very collectible fountain pens. I warn you, though, Vacumatics tend to come with friends. On a $150 budget you can find a nice piece, maybe even double jeweled. Start with a Major '42+ and work your way up while learning about their history. Don't worry about metal components right now. As long as you don't turn the plunger and have patience, these pens are real work horses out in the field.

Yeah, I'm looking closely at the Majors and Debutantes. Why do you recommend 1942 and up? Any significant quality improvements or more desirable features?

1942 Golden Pearl Stub with Jeweler's Band, rivers of ink. My best pen ever.

Like a jerk I run around and show it to everyone like I made it myself. I adore it. Keep it filed with Waterman Florida Blue.

(Vacs are bit more work to clean, choose your first ink carefully b/c you are probably going to want to go a couple fills before cleaning it again)

Pics or it didn't happen!! Sounds like a gorgeous pen...

Did you check out the red striated ones? They're a little spendy, though.

Glenn

I did...the red ones are gorgeous too, but I'm more drawn to the blue pearl and golden ones for some reason. Kind of on a budget too, so "spendy" is something I may have to wait on...

Yeah, I'm looking closely at the Majors and Debutantes. Why do you recommend 1942 and up? Any significant quality improvements or more desirable features?

Mainly because this seems to be the best route for a vac beginner. You get a nice sized pen at a reasonable cost. As for desirable features, well, that's for you to decide. Do you like a more streamlined pen or a "boxier" look?

www.pen-deco.com

Mainly because this seems to be the best route for a vac beginner. You get a nice sized pen at a reasonable cost. As for desirable features, well, that's for you to decide. Do you like a more streamlined pen or a "boxier" look?

I seem to prefer the more boxed off look. I have a Pelikan M205 and was pretty set on the Sailor Sapporo/Pro Gear Slim and both of those are "boxy".

Ok. Take a look at Vacumatic Standards. In 1937 Parker redesigned the Vacumatic look for a more Streamlined look, but they did keep the Standard in production through 1939. There are a lot of these pens out there and for $150, I think you'd be competitive.

www.pen-deco.com