A Flock Of Pelikan Nibs ....

benincanada

I was cleaning some Pelikan nibs yesterday and snapped a picture with my new BlackBerry Passport.
From left to right:
Binderized Extra Fine M200 nib, Binder 0.6mm stub M200 nib, Pelikan M200 Italic nib, Pelikan M200 fine nib, and on top installed in the M200 Cognac, a vintage Oblique Broad 14K nib from a 400NN Tortoise from the late 50s

http://i.imgur.com/JjvKAr8.jpg

Not pictured (as they're installed on pens and in use): Arabic/Hebrew nib, originally a M200 BB nib; & a Cursive Italic ground by Pendemonium that started as a M200 medium.

Edited by benincanada

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• benincanada

• Soot

• DrCodfish

• sargetalon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Drool... Awesome flock. Thanks for sharing.

Please enjoy my flock below.

From Left to right (starting at the bottom)

-Oblique Fine 'CN' nib from the wartime period (semi flex)

-14K Script Oblique Fine with EXTREME amount of flex

-14K Fine from a 400NN (semi flex)

-14K Rhodium Plated EF script nib from the 2013 M101N Lizard

-Fine CN nib in the upper left

-m2xx steel nib EF.

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/bwesky/fc57beaf-81f5-45e3-91d0-fdb28e22bd73.jpg

Hrm the tipping on that Medium looks different than mine (14K Medium in a M250). Are all those pictured except the OB at top Steel Nibs?

How you like the Pelikan Italic?

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/M250/nib.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

Hrm the tipping on that Medium looks different than mine (14K Medium in a M250). Are all those pictured except the OB at top Steel Nibs?

How you like the Pelikan Italic?

1) The medium in my original post was stubbed by Binder.

2) Pelikan Italic nib - not great out of box... had it ground by Sean Grosse at Scriptus Toronto and now it's great. About 1.2mm now. Started broader, lots of tipping. Came on the M200 Cognac

Great pictures everyone! Here are mine:

http://i60.tinypic.com/x4lx13.jpgFrom left to right: Pelikan 140 14K EF, Pelikan M800 18K B stub, Pelikan 140 14K OBB, Pelikan M400 14K M, Pelikan M600 14K F, Pelikan M205 steel 0.4mm stub

Edited by Suji

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Great nib pics. Can I play too? These are all I had available at the moment.

post-95756-0-04270700-1416177745_thumb.jpg

Clockwise starting 9 O'Clock: M200 Deutsche Telekom SS ML nib, M150 Bols SS B nib, M201 Clear Demo SS M nib, M200 Citroenpers SS M nib, M250 Blue Marbled Nib-On-A-Chain 14C-585 F nib, M250 Tortoiseshell Brown 14C-585 M nib.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

A couple of mine, clockwise from top: M400 F, 400NN KF, 400NN OB, 400 KM, 400 M

Very nice - are any of the stubby looking ones custom grinds?

Edited by benincanada

Great pictures everyone! Here are mine:

From left to right: Pelikan 140 14K EF, Pelikan M800 18K B stub, Pelikan 140 14K OBB, Pelikan M400 14K M, Pelikan M600 14K F, Pelikan M205 steel 0.4mm stub

Very nice!

1) The medium in my original post was stubbed by Binder.

2) Pelikan Italic nib - not great out of box... had it ground by Sean Grosse at Scriptus Toronto and now it's great. About 1.2mm now. Started broader, lots of tipping. Came on the M200 Cognac

Any of those folks reasonably priced to do a 0.5 or 0.7 cursive italic?

Fun game, I'll play,

15622530050_b1659d5980_z.jpg

Left to Right:

IB, Pel M800 Tortoise

Pel M800 All Blue custom Binde, Pendleton Brown Butter line stub M nib

Pel M600, B nib. J Motishaw custom Stub about 0.7mm

Pel M400 Brown (ca 1980's) Tortoise BB nib, J Motishaw Stub about 0.8mm

Pel 140 DF nib

Pel 140 CN nib

Pel LE 1935 Originals of Their Times. This is not the nib original to the pen, but it may be the closest thing to a perefect grind for Lefty Overwriter me. This is a 7.5 degree right oblique, cursive Italic about 0.7 mm wide. This nib was ground for me by Mike Masuyama. It and the stub ground blue M600 previously mentioned are my favorite writers. The M 400 stub is a close second ... or third as the case may be.

How the pens look is a big deal but for me it is all about the writing experience. I have a funky old (ca 1925) parker Duofold deb button filler. The jade celluloid is badly discolored, the furniture is seriously brassed and the gold nib is stiff as a nail, but what great writer, especially for my left handed ways.

Any of those folks reasonably priced to do a 0.5 or 0.7 cursive italic?

I think they all cost about the same. See who is closer to you, or wait for a pen show

Fun game, I'll play,

15622530050_b1659d5980_z.jpg

Left to Right:

IB, Pel M800 Tortoise

Pel M800 All Blue custom Binde, Pendleton Brown Butter line stub M nib

Pel M600, B nib. J Motishaw custom Stub about 0.7mm

Pel M400 Brown (ca 1980's) Tortoise BB nib, J Motishaw Stub about 0.8mm

Pel 140 DF nib

Pel 140 CN nib

Pel LE 1935 Originals of Their Times. This is not the nib original to the pen, but it may be the closest thing to a perefect grind for Lefty Overwriter me. This is a 7.5 degree right oblique, cursive Italic about 0.7 mm wide. This nib was ground for me by Mike Masuyama. It and the stub ground blue M600 previously mentioned are my favorite writers. The M 400 stub is a close second ... or third as the case may be.

That custom binde.... Mmmmmmm..... How was the process? Did you buy it like this, or have a pen done ? I have a M200 green marble I'd love to have a vintage binde put on

That custom binde.... Mmmmmmm..... How was the process? Did you buy it like this, or have a pen done ? I have a M200 green marble I'd love to have a vintage binde put on

I had it custom made by Chris Burton. It started it's life as an all blue (rhodium trim) Pel M800. The process was very simple, Chris has a gallery of materials and I knew exactly what I wanted. It was not very expensive. There was a hitch though; it took a ridiculously long time, just shy of a year. Chris had told me it might be two to three months. I think he was having some sort of problems which were interfering with his pen work. Eventually I got the pen and I was very happy with it. Keep in mind some folks think that customizing a pen is degrading it, that's their problem not mine.

13299722573_1fe2f2d1e4_z.jpg

More recently I had a custom set of pen/mech pencil/roller ball made as a gift for my son who will be graduating next year with a PhD (that's a BiG deal in our family). I commissioned this work with Shawen Newton, and it was a very gratifying experience. He worked with me over a period of time to produce something that was as close to what I had in mind as possible I think.

15439913371_ac310bd259_z.jpg

And, to top it all off, I also had a custom journal made to go along with the pen set. This work was done by TM Lee and again, it was a great collaboration between the artist and me. you can read more about the project here.

Edited by DrCodfish

Very nice - are any of the stubby looking ones custom grinds?

No, and that's the great thing about vintage Pels: they all came out of the factory like this. None of them have been custom-ground or modified in any other way.

Soot, "雙孔" above DEF means double holes, right?

I especially like tortoise-shell pen!

HB is hard broad? Is its feeling of writing different from D nib?

Please visit my website Modern Pelikan Pens for the latest information. It is updating and correcting original articles posted in "Dating Pelikan fountain Pen".

Soot, "雙孔" above DEF means double holes, right?

I especially like tortoise-shell pen!

HB is hard broad? Is its feeling of writing different from D nib?

Yes, 雙孔 means two-holes. Yes, HB is hard broad. It doesn't have much give, but not that super stiff like the D nibs. Perhaps two step down in terms of stiffness from the D nibs.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Pelikan nibs, you say?15811561972_7f6471f547_b.jpg

I've seen report of the S nibs but never in real life. I also haven't been able to satisfactorily translate exactly what type of nibs they are into English. What is your experience with them?

post-95756-0-75247600-1416224714.jpg

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I had it custom made by Chris Burton. It started it's life as an all blue (rhodium trim) Pel M800. The process was very simple, Chris has a gallery of materials and I knew exactly what I wanted. It was not very expensive. There was a hitch though; it took a ridiculously long time, just shy of a year. Chris had told me it might be two to three months. I think he was having some sort of problems which were interfering with his pen work. Eventually I got the pen and I was very happy with it. Keep in mind some folks think that customizing a pen is degrading it, that's their problem not mine.

---

More recently I had a custom set of pen/mech pencil/roller ball made as a gift for my son who will be graduating next year with a PhD (that's a BiG deal in our family). I commissioned this work with Shawen Newton, and it was a very gratifying experience. He worked with me over a period of time to produce something that was as close to what I had in mind as possible I think.

Thx - very nice binde, and nice set for your son. Congrats on his PhD!