New Pencil For Taking Notes

arnavvr

Add an extra $5 and buy yourself a Pentel Sharp "Kerry" P1035 (0.5 mm) or P1037 (0.7 mm). Imho one of the best mechanical pencils ever made. They've been around for 43 years, that itself means a lot. That is why they are the flagship mp of one of the most reputed makers in the World.

R.

Edited by RR4U

“The pen is the tongue of the mind.”

- Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.

fpn_1421103764__don-quijote-de-la-mancha.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo1962

• graystranger

• Cryptos

• arnavvr

I have a TWSBI mechanical pencil that holds about 50 pieces of lead ...

Are you sure about that? :yikes:

R.

Edited by RR4U

I rarely use lead pencils for most things I do, but when I need to do a scantron or when I need something erasable, I use some "Autopoint" pencils from the 60's that take 1.1mm leads. I hate thin leads due to breakage, but the thick ones such as the 1.1's require rotating the pencil periodically while writing around to maintain a sharp point so that it keeps laying down a good thin line. To be honest, wood pencils are probably superior to any mechanical.

Parker 51 Aerometric (F), Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper (PdAg F), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (M), red striated Sheaffer Balance Jr. (XF), Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman desk set (M), Reform 1745 (F), Jinhao x450 (M), Parker Vector (F), Pilot 78g (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), Esterbrook LJ (9555 F), Sheaffer No-Nonsense calligraphy set (F, M, B Italic), Sheaffer School Pen (M), Sheaffer Touchdown Cadet (M), Sheaffer Fineline (341 F), Baoer 388 (F), Wearever lever-filler (M).

Well, I did not count the lead. I put the whole container that came with the pencil into it. Check out what Brian Goulet found out when he investigated this: http://blog.gouletpens.com/2013/02/how-much-lead-fits-in-twsbi-mechanical.html

Ah, I see! Well, tough some lead containers can hold a great amount of leads it is not advisable to have them loaded with more than 6 pcs at a time or the mechanism may jam. Some pencils can take more, some Staedtler models can take up to 12 pcs. The most I know of is the Pentel Forté Pro II, it can be loaded with 24 pcs. To sum up, if the max capacity is not stated by the manufacturer, the safest thing to do is to have them loaded with 6 pcs of lead.

http://www.staedtler.com/en/products/pencils-accessories/mechanical-pencils/graphite-760-triangular-mechanical-pencil/

http://www.staedtler.com/en/products/pencils-accessories/mechanical-pencils/mars-micro-775-mechanical-pencil/

R.

My personal favorites are:

• Pentel products
    • Pentel Sharp Kerry (either the 0.7mm or the 0.9 mm)
    • Pentel P207 (0.7 mm)
    • Pentel P209 (0.9 mm)
    • Pentel Graph Gear 1000 (either 0.7 mm or 0.9 mm)
  • ​Retro 51 Tornado (1.15 mm)
  • Parker old style 'propelling' pencils, 0.9 mm or 1.15 mm

All that being said, for economy and durability the Pentel P200 series is impossible to beat. Usually sold at places like Staples in 2-packs for about $10. They are I suppose 'drafting' pencils; they do have a non-retractable sleeve for the lead. Nice hexagonal shape to hold, light weight, totally reliable.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I don't know If iam posting this in the right section but, I need a new mechanical pencil for taking notes

It has to be comfortable, and usable for extended periods of time, also it can't be more than $15

I've bought scores of different mechanical pencils over the years and my favourite is the Faber-Castell Grip Plus 0.7.

Its a bit ugly but extraordinarily comfortable to use for long periods. The retractable plastic eraser in the top is really handy.

I find that the 0.7 sized lead is perfect for note taking producing a pleasing variation in line width. The lead you choose matters greatly. I currently like B grade Uni Nano Dia leads which are as smooth as silk to write with and surprisingly strong.

Should be within your price range.

I love looking at http://leadholder.com

For your price range maybe semi-automatic clutch pencil might be more in your price range? I can recommend the Caran d'Ache Fixpencil, which would give you a wide range of lead widths to choose from, is light and has a comfortable pencil-like grip. It's a little over your budget (maybe $20-25 for the 2mm version e.g. HERE), but well worth considering.

If you can double you budget, I'd recommend a Japanese-made Rotring 600, or the Lamy Scribble (only available as 0.7 or 3.15mm width).

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Ah, I see! Well, tough some lead containers can hold a great amount of leads it is not advisable to have them loaded with more than 6 pcs at a time or the mechanism may jam. Some pencils can take more, some Staedtler models can take up to 12 pcs. The most I know of is the Pentel Forté Pro II, it can be loaded with 24 pcs. To sum up, if the max capacity is not stated by the manufacturer, the safest thing to do is to have them loaded with 6 pcs of lead.

http://www.staedtler.com/en/products/pencils-accessories/mechanical-pencils/graphite-760-triangular-mechanical-pencil/

http://www.staedtler.com/en/products/pencils-accessories/mechanical-pencils/mars-micro-775-mechanical-pencil/

R.

I have had the TWSBI pencil filled with some 40+ leads for over a year now and have never had a jam at all. When a lead wears down too short to be gripped by the pen I pull it out (just like I did with the Pentel pencils) and a few clicks the new lead comes out. In about a year and 4 months it has never jammed despite having so many leads in it.

I have never dropped or banged any of my pencils or pens around in a brief case, book bag, or pants pockets, so I've never had lead break inside my pencils. My idea of a great pencil (besides how wonderful the TWSBI feels in my hand) is to have one that I can use for a year or two without having to run down some leads to put in it. This pencil is wonderful from that respect. The erasers are small in diameter but of extremely long length, longer than any eraser on a mechanical pencil I've ever seen before.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

For a low-cost mechanical pencil I like the Pentel P205. The softer the graphite the easier it is to push the pencil around with a relaxed grip, as with a fountain pen, and so I use 4B refills. At home I use wooden pencils, 4B to 8B.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I would recommend my favorite mechanical pencil but the I saw you had a cap of $15.

So I would recommend you going down to your local art supply house and trying out what they have there. If its any thing like the art supply house near me they will have a few options for you to test out.

Before the dreaded computer killed the drafting world I used to use Pentel brand mechanical pencils. And for every day writing I would go with a softer lead than what they give you with the pencil. I would recommend 0.9mm with 2B lead, of course that's me, you need to get what will work for your writing style.

Cramer

I like my Rotring 600 .5mm with Pentel "B" lead. It is about double your budget, but it's built to last. For an eraser, I use a Tombow Mono Knock 3.8.

ETA: This thread got me thinking about getting a second mechanical pencil. I just ordered a Rotring 500 for $14.25 at http://www.jetpens.com/Rotring-500-Drafting-Pencil-0.5-mm/pd/6531. Received very good reviews and should be a nice back up for my 600. I checked local pen store's websites and was surprised to see that no one has the 500, only the 600 & 800.

Edited by Tasmith

I used to use a variety of 0.5mm mechanical pencils when I was young, and I'll vouch that the Pentel P205 was unfailingly reliable for me. I also had an S55 and a Sharp Kerry. I was terribly fond of Nijis for a while; the design is essentially identical to what Zebra sells today. But the Sharp Kerry is easily the best to stick in a pants pocket.

These days, I'm using a 0.7mm rubber grip Pentel Twist Erase with a steel point on those very rare occasions when I feel the need to use a pencil. I write a little bit bigger than I used to when I was young, and I also started regarding smoothness as imporant. As with pens, wider leads write smoother than finer ones. and the eraser is about the same as the last inch or so of a Pentel ClicErase. I still haven't finished off the lead that came in it, and I've had it for two years in college and a year since.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of my mechanical pencils came from work :) .

They are Skilcraft and work after a million years, run over by car, etc. What is most important to me is the darkness and smoothness of the lead. Goes faster but I like. The 4Bs seem to work best for me. I personally would look at Walmart/Staples and get 1-3 different pencils for your $15. There could even be a Parker Jotter Ballpoint/pencil set but that might take the whole $15.

jetpens.com has 4B refills in some sizes.

Do consider an actual pencil for some work. Have to sharpen, that is an extra item.

I like for smoothness the Staedtler Norica. It is dark and I like better than a Blackwing. Have found them online at Staples onsale for $5 ? for a bunch. The Staedtler Wopax and allXwrite need less sharpening but write lighter.

Pencils are almost as much fun as fountain pens.

Reread the comments and I do

1+ on the Pentel P205.

Have several of them and they are great! Had for over 20 years. One a dog chewed on and the tip is bit wiggle-ly -should try a drop of crazy glue, but it works fine with the lead. jetpens carried but might find Walmart, etc.