New Pencil For Taking Notes

arnavvr

I don't know If iam posting this in the right section but, I need a new mechanical pencil for taking notes

It has to be comfortable, and usable for extended periods of time, also it can't be more than $15

Papermate Clearpoint Elite 0.5/Graphgear 1000 0.5 with Pentel Super Hi-Polymer

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo1962

• graystranger

• Cryptos

• arnavvr

Any particular reason it has to be a mechanical pencil?

Well, I guess it doesn't have to.

I don't know whether you prefer drafting style pencils or more writing style?

However if you like drafting pencils like myself I would consider either the rotring 500 or Steadtler 925 as both are excellent pencils extremely solid pencils designed to last.

There are options such as the Uni Kuru Toga which is very popular I myself don't like the "give" the roulette mechanism has as it feels less precise then the drafting type pencils. There are other options that are designed more like ball points (pencils you will find from fountain pen brands) that maybe worth considering as well depending on preferences.

Well. I have a Pilot S20 and it's a lovely pencil to use, but I find myself reaching for a good old fashioned wood pencil more often than not. Especially for quickly scribbled notes and sketches.

My reply won't be popular but I prefer Zebra mechanical pencils and ballpoint pens. M-402 is what I'm currently using but I'm switching to M-701 when I get around to it. The F-701 is my ballpoint of choiice.

Edited by pgmrdan

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."

The Dalai Lama

I like a thinner pencil, as opposed to the thicker ones, like the clearpoint.

I use wood case pencils all day at work. I have yet to find a mechanical pencil that doesn't make me crazy. Get a Kum two step hand sharpener and a box of Mitsubishi HI Uni or Tombow Mono 100s or the Palomino graded graphite pencils. They smell nice.

You know how Japanese nibs are generally smaller than the same marked size German nib? Similar with pencils. The HB scale is not actually standardized. Japanese made pencils as above are generally a grade softer than FaberCastell or Steadler Mars Lumograph. Japanese pencils are also a tad thicker making them more comfy (for me) to hold.

YMMV.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I have a TWSBI mechanical pencil that holds about 50 pieces of lead that I just love. Thin, hexagonal barrel, eraser is very long. Comes with enough lead to last a long time and a tube of erasers too. Beautifully crafted of stainless steel and annodized aluminum. I have read reviews from people who have used many high end mechanical pencils who think this is the best. I have used collet drafting pencils and other good 0.5 and 0.7 mm pencils and I prefer this TWSBI to anything I've ever seen. They come in every combination: silver or black color, 0.5 or 0.7 mm lead, and fixed or retractable pipe. The fixed is good for people who leave them on their desks. The retractable is good if you want to put it in a pocket or bag/case. I got mine from Goulet Pen Co. and would post the link, but their web site is down for upgrading now and I can't get the specific URL for the pencil. They do cost $25 and I think they are worth much more than that. TWSBI USA has impeccable customer support. Check them out at gouletpens.com. I gave one to my brother for a Christmas gift and he says it's the best mechanical pencil he's ever seen. We are both engineers. TWSBI USA is in CA. Pencils are made in Taiwan. Good luck.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

I think this topic would fit better in the First stop, so moving it there....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I have a bunch that I like very much

Rotring 600

twsbi has a nice one

uni Kuro togu

Pentel PG5

and zebra 701

Plus Palomino Blackwings are pretty awesome but not as mechanical

A Pentel 0.20 or a Pilot Airblanc 0.3

Thiner the lead faster you can go.

The Airblanc has the same grip material as those Dr Grips.

#Nope

I think I may be in the market next year for a kohinoor notebook 3mm lead holder. My leanings are toward this rather than a drafting pencil. Personal preference of course.

I have and use mechanical and wood case pencils, lead holders, and pencil extensions and each has advantages and disadvantages. The principal advantage of a mechanical pencil is, IMO, the ability to have a reasonably sharp point all the time and the ability to have a goodly supply of lead on hand.

Both wood cased pencils and lead holders will need a sharpener now and then but some people enjoy the ritual,much like re-inking a fountain pen.

And, just like FP's, there may not be a 'one size fits all' for pencils. Fortunately there are very inexpensive examples of each so most people can experiment to fine the one they like best.

I like the Pentel Kerry for every day use since it can be stored two ways in a pocket.

I'll admit that I'm not overly fond of mechanical pencils. Most of the time I get too dark a line that's too hard to erase I much prefer a lead holder, like a Berol Turquoise. One lead will last a really long time, and I finally finished a box of them after about a decade (I use 2H leads, so slightly harder than a #2 pencil).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I own quite a lot of mechanical pencils, being an Architecture student, and I can say that I really liked the Retro 51 in the Hexomatic.

It's quite a slim pencil, and has a knurled grip, which means you can write for a long time with minimal pain.

Mine came in a 0.7mm lead, which I was a bit disappointed with, as I was limited on lead choices.

My favrouite mechanical pencil is the Rotring 800+, but it is not in any way cheap, and may be out of your price range.

Rotring or Kaweco for me, although I have more than one or two to use for different purposes. I also use a Faber Castel Perfect Pencil a lot.

For school, I use a Pentel P209. It was my dad's when he went to school, so is probably 35 years old (ish). It's just so reliable, the lead never jams or anything like that. I've recently bought a 0.7mm (P207) one to go with it.

I had a Rotring Tikky, but that stopped feeding lead through the pencil after six months. The Pentel's design is quite utilitarian, but it is practical, comfortable and robust.

Edited by cambookpro

Parker 75, Ingenuity, Premier, Sonnet, Urban | Pelikan M400 | TWSBI Diamond 580 | Visconti Rembrandt

Currently inked: Diamine Apple Glory (Rembrandt), Pelikan 4001 Turquoise (M400), Lamy Black (Diamond 580)