Just Bought A Parker 45 F With Paperwork

mphstteach

Hey guys,

I just picked up this Parker 45 F nib with paperwork and case; I am wondering two things. The paperwork makes me think its early to mid 60's am I correct? And since I am still a noob when buying these things, did I overpay because of the case and paperwork???? I really wanted the F nib as well so I paid 24 bucks. Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/251713471427?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Kind Regards,

Matt

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mphstteach

• Matlock

• OcalaFlGuy

• Charles Rice

Top Posters In This Topic

Seemed fair to me. Just curious, but did you look for a date code?

Looking at the converter it is probably too early for a date code.

Peter

I'd also say early to mid 60's.

I think you did just fine. I would have rather seen a gold nib for that price but only because I know those deals are out there. There is no reason that Octanium nib can't write as nicely as a gold one. (After you floss that one. It looks like it needs it.)

You got free shipping.

So, deduct $3-4 that you would Usually pay for shipping from your price of $24 and you got it for around $20-21.

That's about 60% or so of what you'd pay for a new Safari (with converter) and IMO, the P-45 is a much better pen.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I couldn't see date code in photos; very tough to tell on ebay, just wanted first impressions from people with more knowledge than myself.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Looking at the converter it is probably too early for a date code.

Guess it would be kind of hard to find a date code anyway as he just bought it today.

An exact match for the XF 45 I bought new in 1966.

Really cool! Glad I have a rough time period.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Got the pen today; it was new old stock. I had to install the converter and everything. Cleanest pen I have ever seen, never used. Really cool

Kind Regards,

Matt

Someone should tell him where to find the date code and how to decode said code so when he gets the pen...

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Someone should tell him where to find the date code and how to decode said code so when he gets the pen...

Farmboy

As I said before, looking at the converter, it's too early for a date code.

Peter

Hey guys,

I just picked up this Parker 45 F nib with paperwork and case; I am wondering two things. The paperwork makes me think its early to mid 60's am I correct? And since I am still a noob when buying these things, did I overpay because of the case and paperwork???? I really wanted the F nib as well so I paid 24 bucks. Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/251713471427?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I believe you underpaid. The one problem 45s can have is the front section can be deformed by the pen cap squeezing it. This can happen if you let the pen freeze, so don't leave it in your car outside when the temperature is well below freezing all winter long. Your pen doesn't have that problem, and as you found out, it doesn't have any problems as it is new, well designed and well executed.

In regard to the date, check the paperwork in detail. I have seen some paperwork for some pens which has actual dates printed on the instructions. The copywrite date may predate the pen by a year or two, but it will give you a good idea of an approximate date of manufacture.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/251597393727

Why is this Parker 45 set so costly? It is $270 plus $15 shipping charges. Any rationale?

It could be one or a combo of several things.

I think one major point is that the seller is in Austria. Maybe collectible US pens are just more pricey there. The seller Does have some unusual items. Especially for coming from a European country.

His only 97% feedback is somewhat disconcerting to me.

Then you have the shipping situation of buying an unusual pen within the EU or paying for the higher shipping/Customs fees from outside the EU.

Also note that most of the higher priced items also have Or Best Offer.

There are some sellers with bizarre ideas of how to sell, I would stop short of calling most of them unethical. Weird yes, unethical, just maybe.

We have these in the US too. Memphis Pen Store has a lot of unusual pens and they ask sky high prices for them. I have yet to figure them out. It has to be a full time job of theirs just to relist all their overpriced items that don't sell. One would assume both they and this seller Do Sell occasional at prices high enough for them to keep selling this way.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl