Seriously Thinking Of Getting A Sailor Professional Gear Realo

Albinoni

Would like some help here please as I've never owned a Japanese fountain pen before and have been looking to get a Sailor Professional Gear Realo, but confused where is the best to get one. Have been looking at Ebay but are there any sellers out there that will beat EBay's prices. My other question is which colour, I have the choice between black or red/maroon.

Questions

1. How many karat gold is the nib

2. Does the Realo hold about the same ink capacity as a Pelikan M600

3. I believe these are piston fillers

4. I would plan to probably go for a medium nib if I end up getting one

Thank you

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Calabria

• parnesh

• ink-syringe

• Algester

Would like some help here please as I've never owned a Japanese fountain pen before and have been looking to get a Sailor Professional Gear Realo, but confused where is the best to get one. Have been looking at Ebay but are there any sellers out there that will beat EBay's prices. My other question is which colour, I have the choice between black or red/maroon.

Questions

1. How many karat gold is the nib

2. Does the Realo hold about the same ink capacity as a Pelikan M600

3. I believe these are piston fillers

4. I would plan to probably go for a medium nib if I end up getting one

Thank you

1) 21 K

2) I don't think so. It is reported at 1 ml. The m600 is 1.3-1.4 ml.

3) Yes

4) Look at Sailor widths. A M is almost a pelikan fine.

Also Sailor is reported to be producing the realo in silver trim next year.

Looks like you have the right answers there. As a long time Pelikan user I have to say I really like my pro gear.

Hi everyone thanks for your reply and I might look into this as I'd always had my heart set on a Sailor Professional Gear Realo. So if I want get a medium equivalent to that of a USA or European fountain pen should I order a bold nib.

So would you say the ink capacity would be between that of the Pelikan 400nn

Hi everyone thanks for your reply and I might look into this as I'd always had my heart set on a Sailor Professional Gear Realo. So if I want get a medium equivalent to that of a USA or European fountain pen should I order a bold nib.

So would you say the ink capacity would be between that of the Pelikan 400nn

Definitely a bold if not a specialty nib (naginata togi M?). The capacity of a 400NN is more than most modern pelikans (> 1.5 ml) so no, the capacity of the realo is lower.

I have a couple realo, and they're nice enough pens. But, for the money I would get a standard Pro Gear and put the savings towards a specialty nib. Sailor's realo doesn't hold much more ink than a cartridge--if THAT much.

I have a couple realo, and they're nice enough pens. But, for the money I would get a standard Pro Gear and put the savings towards a specialty nib. Sailor's realo doesn't hold much more ink than a cartridge--if THAT much.

The figures that I have read show the Realo at 0.9ml and standard Sailor c/c at 0.5ml but I am sure someone will come up with a more accurate figure.

Edited by Matlock

Peter

Is the realo also a bit (2 cm ?) longer and wider than the standard pro gear.

The converter capacity is small, but the cartridge capacity is approximately the same. That is, the Realo holds about as much ink as a Sailor ink cartridge.

Edited by Jezza

The Realo holds about twice what a Sailor converter holds. On the other side side a converter is much much easier to clean out so if you change your ink frequently get a Sailor with a cartridge converter and try - as has been suggested - one of rarer nibs. If you want to carry a large quantity of the same ink and rarely change inks then a European piston filler will be better

• 3 weeks later...

If you're trying to approximate European nib sizes, keep in mind that the Sailor nib does get more broad with wear. I now get European EF sizes, and Sailor F.

I did make the comparison between a Sailor F I have been writing with for 2 years and a new version, and the older nib is indeed broader (worn down at the tip)

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Aside from the volume of ink storage I am a fan of the Realo pens. They are a bit extravagant to have out in public unless that's your MO, but the pen works well, it writes well, and I often use it when I am home without regretting the purchase one bit.

I got a regular pro gear with the old style (read: not ugly) clip. It is an amazing pen but I got it in F and had it tuned at the factory. It puts out a very very fine line. About .3

I love the pen but I really do wish I had gotten a bolder nib or the Naginata Togi or Nagahara Cross nib or even just a M.

I like the ink window on the Realo and like old style Pro Gear a lot. I really can not get behind that new clip. Usually I don't care that much but boy did they hit that with the ugly stick.

Amazing pen. Stunning precision though.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I wasn't aware the clip had changed. Do you have pictures?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I don't know if the Real-o is going to change too but there is a Professional Gear and now the Professional Gear II.

Just google. A good summery here:

http://www.bestfountainpen.com/sailor-professional-gear-II.html

Edited by ink-syringe

Ah, indeed there is a Professional Gear Realo and Professional Gear II Realo.

So, yeah for now it seems they exist side by side by it isn't clear to me (anyone know?) that the Pro Gear ones will stay around or if they are replaced by the II.

Man that clip is ugly. To be honest the aesthetic of Sailor pens are not their strong point (imo).

For me the Pro Gear (I) is about the best looking thing they have made.

amazing nibs though. wow.

Edited by ink-syringe

I saw those new clips - not recommended! :(

Another question – does the Sailor KOP use the same puny converter as the regular PG?

After years of being grumpy about converters, I now realize that piston fillers are just not in the genome of some companies. But given that Sailor is now widely marketing such beautiful inks in bottles, it does seem ridiculous to have to squeeze one or two drops of ink into that miserly converter. Couldn't they introduce another converter (I do like the Pilot Con 70, but not their nibs)?

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I saw those new clips - not recommended! :(

Another question – does the Sailor KOP use the same puny converter as the regular PG?

After years of being grumpy about converters, I now realize that piston fillers are just not in the genome of some companies. But given that Sailor is now widely marketing such beautiful inks in bottles, it does seem ridiculous to have to squeeze one or two drops of ink into that miserly converter. Couldn't they introduce another converter (I do like the Pilot Con 70, but not their nibs)?

Depending on the version of King of Pen it will have a different filler. There are quite a few with the standard sailor cartridge converters.