1952 Parker 21 Deluxe - Leaky With Poor Flow, Thoughts?

Holmfirth

Howdy.

I came across a well used and cared for 1952 Parker 21 Deluxe.

The pen hadn't been used in a while so I sent it to the ultrasound for a dip and then for a couple flushes.

Filling the pen according to the instructions only got it 2/3rds full. Unlike my 21 Special which goes up near the top.

Around the feed at the nib edges collects lots of ink ready to drip with any sudden movement.

It writes ok but requires extra pressure to get a wet line.

It is a F nib as far as I can tell and I'm using modern Parker Quink Blue.

I'm thinking perhaps it needs more time in the ultrasound.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Holmfirth

• icardoth

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems the pen has an extra air entrance, that's why ink drops are falling down. It can be from a punctured sac, a cracked section or unsealed threads. Try submerging it on cold water up to the threads and try to fill it. If bubbles apear no matter how many pumps you do, then the sac needs to be replaced.

Edited by icardoth

Read this thread

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/223983-youve-got-your-first-found-in-the-wild-parker-51-in-your-hand-now-what/

It has good ideas on cleaning your pen.

An USC does not do a good job of cleaning the collector of a 21 or 51 of liquid ink. In my experience an overnight soaking does a better job. And the method is described in the thread above.

Some of the pens were indeed dry and were meant to be that way, so the ink would dry quickly.

Are you in northern Calif, near the SF Bay Area?

If you are, you should try to come to the one of the Pen Posse meet ups. One of the guys is a good Parker guy and can take a look at your pen. But there is limited stuff that can be done with a 21, as the plastic can be fragile.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks ac12.

I'm in SoCal so when I get over my head, I head to see Fred Krinke over at the Fountain Pen Store in Monrovia.

Fred never fails to amaze me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files