I'm New At This Fp Stuff And I Like Sheaffer Pens But ...

pgmrdan

What I don't understand is why I don't hear much about Sheaffer pens.

I probably bought my first Sheaffer when I was in grade school and my second Sheaffer while I was in college. I bought my third Sheaffer last week which is about 50 years after buying my first. The only other fountain pen I've bought is a Parker 25 that was made in 1980 and I bought it new within a year or two after it was made.

I've been frequenting other forums at this website and I don't see nearly as much activity regarding Sheaffers as Parkers or Lamys or bunches of other makes. Why?

Anyway, I like Sheaffers and I expect to remain that way so I'm hanging out here now-and-then.

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."

The Dalai Lama

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgmrdan

• CaseyK

• AJ50

• Eduardo

They make good pens, I enjoy a few in my collections.

They don't inspire a lot of chatter, as you've noticed.

Cross is another good brand that falls into the same boat.

Cross! Yeah, I've heard so little about them that I'd forgotten they make fountain pens until someone mentioned it this past week. Almost everyone over 50 years old has a Cross ballpoint pen and pencil set though.

Edited by pgmrdan

The Dalai Lama

I have a couple of targas, an imperial, and a couple of legacy heritages and each one of them performs flawlessly, with smooth writing with nice "feel" and the exceptional aesthetics of their inlaid nibs. Maybe folks don't talk about them too much because there is so little to complain about. :)

I'd agree that part of the reason that Sheaffer doesn't get more noise on the forums is that they're not doing anything particularly outrageous. A lot of the threads in the Parker area here that touch on the modern work of the company have a flavour of "Look at the terrible thing they've done this time". There was a little argy-bargy here about the Taranis, in the looks and price departments, but it was more of a differing of tastes than a universal lamentation.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

What I don't understand is why I don't hear much about Sheaffer pens.

I've been frequenting other forums at this website and I don't see nearly as much activity regarding Sheaffers as Parkers or Lamys or bunches of other makes. Why?

Anyway, I like Sheaffers and I expect to remain that way so I'm hanging out here now-and-then.

My first fountain pen was a Sheaffer first generation cartridge model. I am a fan of the Sheaffer No Nonsense pen.

Parker is a "senior" brand. It lead in innovation, in the twentieth century. Parker has produced one hundred

million fountain pens. In the previous century, Parker dominated the market. Parkers are highly collectible.

I have no explanation for the LAMY phenomenon.

Feel free to initiate conversations on Sheaffer, or any other brand.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I am so so so smitten with vintage Sheaffers, and I've amassed a pretty great collection of triumph nibs in "odd" sizes (broad ans stubs and the like). I carry 9 pens with me at any given time, and i'd say at least 4 are Sheaffers. :D Anytime you want to gab about Sheaffers, feel free to post in this forum so we can all benefit!

Cross! Yeah, I've heard so little about them that I'd forgotten they make fountain pens until someone mentioned it this past week. Almost everyone over 50 years old has a Cross ballpoint pen and pencil set though.

I believe that I have lost about 2 dozen of those thin silver Cross ballpoint pens, all gifts, over the last 30 or so years...

I have several Sheaffers and find a lot of the vintage Sheaffers are only comfortable enough (because of length) to use posted and some have a resistance to posting (cap falls off) but I still like them. I am not saying this about the Sheaffers such as the Connisuers, Seas, etc. However, I am hooked on Parker 51s as are a lot of folks because they feel good to me posted or unposted. I have over 30 of them and wish I had more. But in the end, because of weight, length, balance, etc., it is all about how the pen feels in your hand regardless of the brand.

Edited by pennut

I bought a new No Nonsense with the screw-on cap in orange many years ago. The cap cracked but I kept the pen up until a couple years ago. Now I wish I had kept it. It still worked fine.

I'm thinking of just buying another but probably not in orange. :)

It would be for sentimental value.

A Sheaffer that really looks cool to me is the Targa. That nib is unreal!

Edited by pgmrdan

The Dalai Lama

Interesting. Most Sheaffers have never really appealed to me aesthetically. But I invariably have a Sheaffer No Nonsense on the go for everyday use as I find they suit my grip. I prefer wider pens because of an old injury to my 'writing' hand. All the Sheaffers No Nonsense FPs that I have (currently 5) and have had in the past have been great writers and 100% reliable notwithstanding they are bottom of the range pens.

BTW: Cross may have been invisible to some here, but they now own Sheaffer......

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I'll admit that I mostly go for vintage Parkers. But I do have 3 Sheaffer Snorkels (two Valiants and a Statesman). The grey Snorkel just got a rehab at the Ohio Pen Show over the weekend by Martin Ferguson, but I haven't had a chance to ink it up with anything yet.

Also have one of those calligraphy sets, but the blue pen and the medium nib unit are lost in the house.

I often see Sheaffer school pens in antiques stores here in the Pittsburgh area. They generally run $8-10 US, but I don't know enough about Sheaffers to actually get one.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

But I invariably have a Sheaffer No Nonsense on the go for everyday use as I find they suit my grip. I prefer wider pens because of an old injury to my 'writing' hand. All the Sheaffers No Nonsense FPs that I have (currently 5) and have had in the past have been great writers and 100% reliable notwithstanding they are bottom of the range pens.

You just talked me into it. I bought 2 No Nonsense pens.

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/sheaffer/no-nonsense/sheaffer-no-nonsense-fountain-pens-original-version-new-old-stock.html

The Dalai Lama

Oh gosh. Now feel a sense of responsibilty. What if you hate them ? Would have been much more comfortable if I didn't know :yikes:

I've owned one before and liked it. For once I know what I'm doing. :lticaptd:

The Dalai Lama

I love my Sheaffers. My first order from Peyton Street I had a coupon so I tossed in a NOS Sheaffer 444 Seconds just because. It is speckled as a hen, but it is one of my very best writers. Smooth as any nib I've got and great reliable wet ink flow. I didn't expect Sheaffer to be the brand I'd attach to and I love my Parker 51s as well, but when it comes down to it, the Sheaffers (440, 444, 444XG, and a Targa) are my "Absolutely, you can count on me" pens. Given the comments above, I think there's a few more varieties I "need" to get as well!

My Pen Wraps and Sleeves for Sale Here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DaisyFair

You don't see so much on Sheaffer for several reasons (imo) , firstly most newcomers are drawn to Parker, Sheaffer has a very serious base of collectors who don't need to frequent forums for info as much as those new to the brand and vintage Sheaffer are an expensive brand in comparison to a lot of others so requires some commitment.

As far as quality goes Sheaffer was the leading US maker along with Parker, which is better depends on preference. The range of vintage pens of high quality available (in the $100-$200 range) is rather impressive from the beautiful '40's celluloid pens, the Snorkel, PFM, Targa to the very wide range of Imperial models (a wonderful sterling silver Imperial for $150 odd seems decent value to me). In the modern models the Legacy is a great pen.

My first fountain pen was a Sheaffer first generation cartridge model.

I have no explanation for the LAMY phenomenon.

Write with joy.

This first I recall owning myself were 1st and 2nd gen Sheaffer school pens. I'd still like another clear Blue one with a Fine nib.

I lost this Black and dull cap Parker thing my Dad gave me, it leaked, I thought it was boring.

Turns out it was a P-51 Demi.

Lamy wins with The Esterbrook Factor. Several different finishes and colors, a couple at least fo satisfy Everyone. Easily swappable nibs in all kinds of widths. Inexpensive, but sturdy and they just work.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Lamy wins with The Esterbrook Factor. Several different finishes and colors, a couple at least fo satisfy Everyone. Easily swappable nibs in all kinds of widths. Inexpensive, but sturdy and they just work.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Indeed... The Esterbrook factor brings the Safari factor ;)

Look at my horse, my horse is amazing!!!