How To Win An Ebay Auction, For Doubters Of Snipe Eficacy

pajaro

I had bid on the following pen, because I need a new Laureat section. Note the bids and how closely the auction was sniped and won, by someone else.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=141463880355&_trksid=p2060778.m1431.l2765

The item :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Old-Stock-Waterman-Laureat-Black-Gold-Trim-Fountain-Pen-/141463880355?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20efe782a3#ht_723wt_728

I couldn't get to the "original listing" on this, probably because I was looking at it from my "didn't win" topic.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• OcalaFlGuy

• JonSzanto

• mhosea

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, you Really don't need to.

All that Really matters is who has the larger bid.

Yeah, it's fun to play around with, I can routinely hand fire them in at 2-3 seconds but that doesn't mean squat unless my bid is the highest. If I'm not

hand firing due to closing times, I set Auctionsniper for a 4 second lead.

Still, I'm not sure I've ever seen one fired at precisely 0 seconds.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I've never seen the utility of the snipe either. If I'd said "I'm not paying more than $60 for this thing", the discovery that someone else was willing to go higher can come late or soon and makes no difference.

There's the occasional combination of amusement and self-doubt when saying that and seeing a tumble of snipe attempts that top out at $22.39-- "Ha! Nuts to you, snipers... who appear to know something I don't."

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

There isn't any real utility to the snipe For You if you are one of the rarer people who will make, even as the auction is live, their ONE bid for their absolute top dollar amount and let the cards fall where they may.

Most Fleabayers aren't that solid in their resolve to upper bid limits And they want to Win.

Though you may make your one say $60 bid and let it go at that, most other live time bidders Won't let it go at that. They want to be at the head of the visible bid line and will live bid to be that.

That only drives the price up higher for them and ALL the other bidders, be those real time bidders or snipers.

But like I said in another thread, if EVERYONE snipped, Fleabay auctions would lose their spectator appeal in watching them close, which I Do enjoy.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I don't use a sniping program, but on occasion have run across an auction for something I'm interested in close to the end of things. Picked up a BHR Morrison ringtop that way recently for under $8 US with shipping. Bid with something like 4 minutes to go on that one, and then watched the countdown.

I suspect that the more general interest in an item, the more likely I am to be sniped (the very nice Cordovan Brown 51 was particularly annoying, because I had developed a pretty good rapport with the seller -- asking questions which the seller then checked with the original owner about and getting me timely answers -- only to be sniped with seconds to go). OTOH, I really expected to be *completely* outbid on the Plummer 51 Demi (and that someone ELSE would get sniped, the way the previous one I had tried to snag ended up) because I wasn't anywhere near the computer for the end of the auction, and in fact got home hours later. So YMMV.

I have found on occasion, though, that I get caught up in the bidding frenzy a bit. That happens in live auctions I've been to as well (although those live, on-site auctions were before I started looking for pens).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Using snipe just ensures I don't quickly throw in another bid. I havd my snipe set for all auctions at £1,000,000,000,000.1.99 If I win all well and good if I don't then there's no spilt milk.

Edited by Force

Using snipe just ensures I don't quickly throw in another bid. I havd my snipe set for all auctions at £1,000,000,000,000.1.99 If I win all well and good if I don't then there's no spilt milk.

You're in some trouble when someone else sets theirs to £900,000,000.28. ;)

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I don't like the idea of snipe programs and don't trust their security. Normally, I'll throw out one bid fairly late in the auction if there hasn't been much activity. If I win, great. If not, there's *always* another.

I tried a snipe program a few times to get an idea of how they worked, and if they were worth it. It didn't help me, other than one item that was ending in the middle of the night. The one I used also locks your bidding a couple minutes out, so even if you set it to trigger in the last seconds, you have no way of making any adjustments. If it's an item I really want, I show up, and watch the bidding, and put my pre-determined high bid in just as it ends, provided I'm still in the running.

I like those snipers - no need to be at the computer, no need to think about connection, no need to reveal what I really want to pay, no need to check.

Just type and forget.

And then a pleasant surprise - either I've won or I've saved money :-)

But 0 seconds - that's nice!

Greetings,

Michael

I prefer to be sitting in front of the PC when I want an item that is due to end. However, if you live in the UK and you are trying to bid on a US item you often have to use a snipe unless you can stay awake until at least 03.00 hours.

Edited by Chrissy

I prefer to be sitting in front of the PC when I want an item that is due to end. However, if you live in the UK and you are trying to bid on a US item you often have to use a snipe unless you can stay awake until at least 03.00 hours.

There have been items here that I have gotten up at 05:30 to put in a bid as the auction ended.

I don't like the idea of snipe programs and don't trust their security. Normally, I'll throw out one bid fairly late in the auction if there hasn't been much activity. If I win, great. If not, there's *always* another.

Except for items where there isn't necessarily another.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

I bid on another, used laureat and then coveted this one when I found it. I watched, and hoped I didn't win, so I could bid on the NOS. I won the used pen ($40). When I saw the NOS go for over $60, I didn't feel so bad. Now I feel even better, knowing I probably would have lost.

Thank you for posting.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

I've manually sniped at 0 seconds a couple of times before but it's usually 1 or 2 seconds. Quick fingers and a good internet connection is a must

Set your max price higher than anyone else's bid, and you'll win whether you put it in a week before or a second before closing.

Set your max price higher than anyone else's bid, and you'll win whether you put it in a week before or a second before closing.

But whether you put in that bid a week before closing or a second before closing may influence what others bid, and thus whether your bid wins or loses.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe